Can't get in to Driveclub

United States
United States
I'm pretty much a Forza/Gran Turismo nut. My PS3 either has GT5 or 6 in it, and the same for both of my XBox's. Im not a fanboy, i take each game for what it is, and I have to say I like each equally. That being said I knew about the bad reviews, and the arcadey control, but I got Driveclub anyway. It looked like tons of fun, like the fat girl joke, and it looked like my style of racing game. I played it a little bit, and its not bad, i like how it doesn't try to do to much with camera effects and pop ups on the screen like most arcade racers. I like what i played out of it so far, but I just cant get into it. I have this trouble with all racing games, I always just shut them off and go back to GT/Forza. Ive done it with the Grid games, the F1 games, Need for Speeds etc. Is anybody else like this? I really want to get into it, it looks good, got alot of nice cars and tracks, but like all the other racing games ive played, I find myself having to force myself to play.

Based on your history with arcade racers it fits right into that territory of games than don't have that simulation feel that can't hold your attention. The over use of Forza/GT will lessen your interest in arcade racers. I for one am I big Ridge Racer/ PGR fan and for me Driveclub is good and hold my attention in that regard. I also enjoy forza/GT. I did go back to GT6 after DC launched. But I went back after a few updates. I realize GT6 is better than I originally thought even if its missing GT5 features. For me DC was a 7/10 at launch but now its an 8/10 for me.

I would say run some time trials. Attacking those target real time target goals are fun. Real time best lap ghosts loaded from the server is pretty new to me. I've ran the same time trial 60 minutes moving up the leader board and improving my skills. That was fun.

Agree with LaBounti. Find a car/track you think you'll like and jump in to Time Trial. The game physics are definitely towards arcade physics, but you are immensely rewarded, lap-time wise, by driving the way you would in GT/Forza.

But do you guys know what i mean about how the other games like Grid and NFS Shift try to do to much with the camera? Like how its always moving and shaking. And how the cars feel alot more disconnected from your inputs.

I think despite DC's forgiving handling model it still has a decent amount of 'depth' to it. It still gives me a little bit of that sim racer feel, like actually remembering your breaking points, gently accelerating out of the corner, etc. To me, it's the best racer I've played in a while, especially after those need for speeds where you coudn't even manually change gear, I mean, seriously?

Also, the online challenges are an awesome addition to me. In Gran Turismo I was always driving against my own ghosts because the AI was just so terrible. Now I'm driving against other peoples ghost which is way more fun. Sometimes I'm just driving on one track for an hour trying to shave that last tenth of a second of my time :)

I really liked the first GRID by the way, had kind of the same vibe as DC if you ask me.

Right with you on that one Playerone7125, only reason I put the old grid in the PS3 is Pikes Peak! but that still takes a while to dial my head around the way the car handles. DC does nothing for me at all, its like watching a film with the best CGI in the hole universe but to have it ruined by a none existent plot.

The only game I play on the PS4 is Moto GP, waiting for P/cars

Right with you on that one Playerone7125, only reason I put the old grid in the PS3 is Pikes Peak! but that still takes a while to dial my head around the way the car handles. DC does nothing for me at all, its like watching a film with the best CGI in the hole universe but to have it ruined by a none existent plot.

Grid has Pike's peak...I didn't complete that game as I got annoyed by the Le Mans circuit, so I never saw PP. I know DiRT had it.

I was waiting for pcars too, wasn't gona bother with DC, but im so glad i did. Its a lot better than expected, and there are endless challenges to test your skills, i have some very quick people on my list, so challenges keep me busy.

The only thing keeping me playing this game is the challenge of beating people on my friends list. I only paid £20 for it and still feel ripped off, I feel sorry for the people that forked out full price.
The only half decent mode is the track day events, everything else is too short. Who wants to do 3 lap races apart from 7 year olds with ADHD?
Along with the fact that certain cars are OP compared to others, which add to the fact the game lacks playability and variety.
The game looks great, I will say that, and the soundtrack is awesome, but the game is average and as soon as pCARS comes along Driveclub will be gathering virtual dust along with all the other forgettable racing games I can't remember the name of.
If only the game was as good as the soundtrack.

3/5

The only half decent mode is the track day events, everything else is too short. Who wants to do 3 lap races apart from 7 year olds with ADHD?

for 2 days there were 'endurance races' available in multiplayer (7-10 lap races) but they disappeared for some reason, that together with not knowing how many people are in a lobby before it launches definitely puts a crimp in the multiplayer enjoyment for me, fortunately I am having a blast with the challenges and leaderboards but it would sure be nice if the online was better because when it is it really is (had a few really awesome races over the past month)

At least now I know why the PS+ version was delayed so much, imagine having an tenth of what the full version is. Nobody would buy it.

It was free, no cost - a sampler really for PS+ members.
Exactly, so when it eventually is released to PS+ for FREE people will realise why the FREE version was, because nobody in their right mind would play a FREE version and then buy the full game because Driveclub is not that good. That is why it has been delayed for so long.

Exactly, so when it eventually is released to PS+ for FREE people will realise why the FREE version was, because nobody in their right mind would play a FREE version and then buy the full game because Driveclub is not that good. That is why it has been delayed for so long.
From reading people's comments it seems most just wanted to check the game out via the free version, which is why it was going to be available - nothing wrong with that.

Others who saw the offers recently bought it and many of them have commented that they regret waiting for so long - are they all out of their right-mind? But hey, if you don't like it, that's your opinion. Your theory about why it's been delayed though, is pure conspiracy theory.

Back