Cant hear myself think!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter gslooney
  • 25 comments
  • 2,351 views
Messages
590
Scotland
Scotland
Messages
gslooney
Messages
gslooney
Is there any way to turn down the volume of the other cars.. so you can hear when your skidding and loosing grip etc, or need to change up?

Anytime , there's another car within 150m of me, I can't hear the engine of my own car.. this is really noticeable in the Suzuka f1 race..

Thanks

Mo
 
It can't be solved. Though bumper view is a good alternative.
 
Chase view is good for dampening down other car noises while still hearing your engine sound well. also gives a higher sense of speed.
 
5.1 or 7.1 is you're answer ;)
In real life F1, you would not hear you're engine in cockpit when you dirve behind another F1. Engine at back, exhaust at back.
 
5.1 or 7.1 is you're answer ;)
In real life F1, you would not hear you're engine in cockpit when you dirve behind another F1. Engine at back, exhaust at back.

+1:tup:

spyrrari.
 
I think it's good in Gran Turismo actually (except for the RUF in GT4 which had no engine sound in bumper view.
 
I think it's good in Gran Turismo actually (except for the RUF in GT4 which had no engine sound in bumper view.

If thats the case you need a new scart-cable or fiddle a bit when its plugged in.
I tought the same as you untill i drove a Yellowbird at a friends house.
 
Hi,

In real life F1, you would not hear you're engine in cockpit when you dirve behind another F1. Engine at back, exhaust at back.

Maybe, you just don’t need to hear it when you actually kind of sit on it?:scared::)

Even with very expensive and custom build hardware it should be very hard to recreate the physical feeling of real racing I guess.

So eyes and ears are our main options when it comes to gaming. ( A Force-Feedback Wheel is the next one, if you can afford it of course)

The high pitched screaming tires sound many people complained about was the “too late” scenario, but there where other more subtile noises indicating you were reaching the grip limit. Those are gone since the update (probably not “gone” but “lost” in the new mix balance of the game since the update). Engine sounds that better matches the real world counterpart is a good thing, but being unable to ear your own when you actually need to shift up is a major interface issue for a game claiming simulation level.

In my opinion, simulation needs to “translate” more than “be” reality.

5.1 or 7.1 is you're answer ;)

Verry probable, but not everybody can play on a calibrated 5.1 setup, so maybe the key of all this is in the down-mix option of the Dolby stream and channel balance?(more of a Sony firmware issue there) Or maybe PD could add a more complex sound mixer in the audio options?

My 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if it is related, but when I play with Dolby 5.1 active and I'm racing in the pack my own engine noise becomes totally stifled to the point that I'm shifting to the sounds of others' engines :lol: When just running with regular stereo it sounds much more correct.
 
Sorry but I'm using a - cheap - 7.1 system and use the bumper cam. A 5.1 or 7.1 system is not a solution, not with my system anyway. I can still barely hear the engine of the car I'm driving when there're AI cars in front of me.
It was better before the update.
 
I think the problem is they're mixing the audio back to front (for obvious reasons) instead of leaving your engine at the same level and blasting the car in front up in volume til it drown yours out, they're bringing in the car in front at the same level as your engine then dialling your engine noise down.

The reason for this is because they want the audio to be more or less fixed at the in-car level. The alternative would be much quieter in-car, with the occasional roar when there's a car in front.

I think it's fine, in principle but they exaggerate the effect a bit too much and also leave it for too long so, if the car in front takes off you still find yourself driving around in 'stealth mode' for a couple of secs afterwards
 
Before the update (1st of August) it was no so loud. That´s disturbing.

But there is a solution: always be the first.
 
That´s disturbing.

Then it's just about right!
I think it's exxagerated, but sometimes you HAVE TO exxagerate in a game to make it feel more realistic .
Before the update whole GT5p , not only the sounds was plain ridiculous as a game and a sim.
PD knows that and what GT fans want , they don't want another PC sim, they want GT 👍
 
I can react only to what im feeling from my wheel or through my ears,so let me hear my engine ALL the time.
 
try to think silently
 
Is there any way to turn down the volume of the other cars.. so you can hear when your skidding and loosing grip etc, or need to change up?

Anytime , there's another car within 150m of me, I can't hear the engine of my own car.. this is really noticeable in the Suzuka f1 race..

Thanks

Mo

This is quite annoying, i tend to change gear by listening to the engine revs, now i have to make a conscious effort to keep checking my revs, still i forget at times thinking the engine i can hear is my own, when in fact it's another close by car, very off-putting
 
It's all fine and dandy until you approach a tuned Clio or F2007. :scared:
 
Bang and Olufsen will deal with your car sound problems.
 
With the Amuse S2000.
I couldn't hear the engine when there was a tuned vette in front of me, i just kept missing shifting points because of that.
 
I'm playing on a 5.1 setup, receiver set to Wide Screen and I still hear my engine revs with other cars on track, but I still think its normal for a tuned car to be more noisy than your Daihatsu Copen :P
 
Thanks for the thoughts, I've tried it with 5.1 DD and it's good but still to much.

problem I had was that when drowned out and in the heat of racing.. I downshifted to far and spun out!!

So, I'd like to know what my car is doing, as was mentioned earlier, as were not getting the physical stimulation (other than from a FF G25 wheel) I find the sounds very usefull, to know when I'm on the limit.. generally you can just about hear it before the slide starts to get too out of shape...

perhaps they will fix it.. I'm going to move my logitech 5.1 system onto the rig I hav now so that may help a lot.

Cheers folks

Safe racing
 
Is it my imagination or did PD change the sound again, for the better this time. 👍

Driving behind the AI, I can clearly hear the engine of the car I'm driving and I can still hear the engine of the AI.
 
Is it my imagination or did PD change the sound again, for the better this time. 👍

Carn't say as i've noticed any difference myself, i was following a mine's last night and it completely drowned out my cars sound, you have to keep one eye on the track and one on the revs because its impossible to hear when to shift gear.:boggled:
 
Maybe it's just even that way in reality too..
Some cars are just SO noisy you can't hear your own anymore...
The mine's is just a BEAST:) like the blitz
 
Back