Can't keep up online, need tuning advice

• Thread starter Gejost
  • 5 comments
I rediscovered GT5P since I bought me a DFGT not that long ago. Man, what a difference! All I can say is, this game is made to play with a steering wheel. I'm even thinking about upgrading to a G25 next year at GT5's launch. I'm having lots of fun, but the thing is, I can't keep up with most players online. And i'm sure it's not only because I make to many mistakes, haha, but mainly because i'm a complete noob at tuning. I have absolute no idea what I need to change. I just play around with it a bit and see how it goes. I even changed from manual to automatic, i'm desperate. But no matter what I change, I can't seem to get it right.

What are the most important things to change? Is it worth getting R3 tires? Or is it better to spend those points in something else? What about lowering weight and increasing power? Or changing gear ratio? Are there some things you should always change?

Last edited:
First thing if you can race manual then keep it that way. I'm not a tuner so I my not give the best of help. As for tyres R3's are not always the first choice, yes they give you better grip but the downfall is reduced speed on the straights. Maybe looking around in the tuning threads might help you. You can see whats done and try learn from that

I can race with manual but when I switched to automatic I was a bit faster. It was one less thing to focus on, now I can focus only on the road. Perhaps it's like my brother told me, i'm trying to many things at once. When I got my DFGT I bought GT5P again and from the start I played with pro physics and manual, although I normally always race in every racegame with automatic. And not only that, but I also had to adapt to a steering wheel. And pro physics doesn't make it any easier. But i'm having fun, and that's all that matters. :)

EDIT: And actually there are tuning topics for the online events, I must have overlooked them. :embarrassed:

UPDATE: I just tried clacksman his Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X tuning for 600pp Eiger and what a difference, i'm talking about 1,5 to 2 seconds on average. I tried both manual and automatic and i'm definitely gonna stick with manual like I did in the beginning. big thanks to clacksman. 👍

Last edited:
I rediscovered GT5P since I bought me a DFGT not that long ago. Man, what a difference! All I can say is, this game is made to play with a steering wheel. I'm even thinking about upgrading to a G25 next year at GT5's launch. I'm having lots of fun, but the thing is, I can't keep up with most players online. And i'm sure it's not only because I make to many mistakes, haha, but mainly because i'm a complete noob at tuning. I have absolute no idea what I need to change. I just play around with it a bit and see how it goes. I even changed from manual to automatic, i'm desperate. But no matter what I change, I can't seem to get it right.

What are the most important things to change? Is it worth getting R3 tires? Or is it better to spend those points in something else? What about lowering weight and increasing power? Or changing gear ratio? Are there some things you should always change?

Could you give me some time trial leaderboard placings to show that its just the car? You'd be forgiven that you think you are a top notch racer on GT before meating people here or some others online - I did it too and it was such a shock to me that I wasn't nearly as good as what I thought I was. To be the best (or near it - not in my case) needs alot of practice and skill, and its ok to admit that you don't have that. Never blame the tools - or especially not if we don't know your times.

Give us data and we can help. I'd like a TT laptime in arcade on S2s, and then I'd like a TT in your tuned car, so I can whip something up and see if it really is a poor tune.

👍

Oh, i'm far from a good driver, I have no problem admitting that. So i'm not just blaming the car. :)

But it had a lot to do with it. My normal laptime for Nordshliefe with my own tuned cars (I just played around with it a bit, every race I tried something different) was around 1:11 and 1:12 on average. Now with clacksman tuning my average laptime is around 1:9 and 1:10. So that gives a good indication that it's not just me but also the car. :)

I even won twice today and also got a second place (with more than 4 players each time, something that doesn't happen often). That's new for me, normally I fall behind right away. I'm sure this will still happen when i'm up against some good racers, but it's still a big improvement.

Last edited:
Back