Can't save Gran Turismo 1 on PS3, any suggestions?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 7 comments

ICEYOU3

(Banned)
United States
Selatapura, Usea
I bought GT1 today and I'm trying to save it to one of my internal memory cards on my PS3, but to no avail. I have used up 8kb of 120kb on the memory card according to the PS3 yet the game itself says there isn't enough space on the card.

Any ideas what's wrong? (I've left my console running because I don't want to lose my data)

How did you solve this? Just curious.
Hey sorry for the late response. I actually didn't have enough space on my internal Memory Card, so I created a second one. What's odd is that Sony only allows up to 120kb of space for every MC created. When in all honesty space should be virtually unlimited (considering the memory cards are stored on the PS3's HDD)

Edit: GT1's saved data is 40 kilobytes which is much more than my other PSone games.

Last edited:
What's odd is that Sony only allows up to 120kb of space for every MC created. When in all honesty space should be virtually unlimited (considering the memory cards are stored on the PS3's HDD)
Sony's memory cards were a maximum of 128kb in size. You could get larger, 3rd party ones, but they were notoriously unreliable. The PS1 hardware would be looking for a card of that size and the PS3 is obviously no different.

It is sort of hilarious going back to my Playstation 2 as I race GT1. I've had several times when I'll insert a memory card to start a new game, and I'll go to save and it'll say something like "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY insert another card". :lol: Which means I have to go all the way out of the game to remove whatever data I saved on that card in the past. :rolleyes: And it'll always be some really small amount of memory which needs to get freed up. Like 8 kilobytes or whatever. :lol:

Hey sorry for the late response. I actually didn't have enough space on my internal Memory Card, so I created a second one. What's odd is that Sony only allows up to 120kb of space for every MC created. When in all honesty space should be virtually unlimited (considering the memory cards are stored on the PS3's HDD)

Edit: GT1's saved data is 40 kilobytes which is much more than my other PSone games.
The limits in place as that's the biggest a card could (officially) be, you can effectively have an unlimited number of Memory Cards, but for the emulation and game code to work (without being re-written), it has to follow the original spec.

Just a little pinch of salt if anyone reads this having quetions for PS3 Gran Turismo 1 :
  • You can create multiple Playstation and Playstation2 memory cards in advance in your PS3 menu.
  • If a card gets filled during gameplay, the PS3 will do like any other Gran Turismo on PS1-PS2 would, it will ask you to change card, so you can swap in another virtual card.
  • You could name them accordingly by the main Game present on each card, naming them is also done in the same PS3 virtual memory card menu in the main hub.
  • Now this means you can also, with this method, save more than 100 Cars for your GT Mode, spread cars across virtual memory cards (labelled wit hthe name "backup cars 2 - Game 1" for example, if you have more than one "game" of GT.
I'm currently running one on Ps2 and one on virtual cards on PS3.
I will be testing more of these fucntions and report back in case anyone else ever has the same interrogation as I had.
(I am gonna plan my Suikoden1&2/C:SotN/GranTurismo1&2 playthroughs by making MC's in advance and seing how many can the PS3 have creatged in its OS at the same time. Also running GranTurismo 3, on PS2, stalled at Time trial 2 in arcade at 8 hours trying to beat it, 6 times I had a time to beat the record by .5 to 1 second but ended up fumbling tghe run. Almost done with Licence B3 and B4 gold, then on to B-5 !!! (trying to finally get other goold licences than GT3's Rally licence in college and GT2's B-licence as a teen, only 2 I got)

Last edited:
Back