Can't switch from VGA to HDMI [Help]

• Thread starter Aggserp4
  • 6 comments
Greece
Greece
Aggserp4
I got an Nvidia GT 220 1GB graphics card. It was installed a few years back by a computer technician I used to take the computer to. Since then I've noticed something very strange: he didn't connect the VGA cable to the VGA port on the card; instead, he connected it to the DVI port via a DVI to VGA adaptor. I tried attaching the VGA cable to the VGA port and got a black signal so I just plugged it back on the adaptor and moved on with my life...

...until yesterday when I got an HDMI cable.
I shut the computer down, unplugged the DVI to VGA adaptor with the VGA cable, connected the TV and the PC with the HDMI cable, started it up, no signal. I tried looking in the computer's settings for an option to switch while having both the HDMI and the DVI-VGA cable connected with no results. I tried reinstalling the GPU drivers with no luck again; anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Is it possible that my GPU has a bad HDMI output? My PC suffered from an electrical surge 2 years back due to lightning; we had to replace a lot of parts but the GPU was seemingly intact. Could that be the cause of this problem?

Was the computer resolution you had on the DVI/VGA a resolution your display can support if it were to do HDMI?

I have a crummy Daytek TV that fails to pick up the HDMI signal from my PC, and I think it might be cause of that. Oddly enough, if I kept my VGA cable in along with the HDMI, the HDMI display is treated as an extended monitor.

Distinct possibility that your PC builder did NOT use a supported motherboard, and thus was forced to install Windows standard drivers (causing a failure to not support the other two ports on your GPU). What is the manufacturer and model of your motherboard?

Read this and go from there. Make sure that you select your supported country for your GPU:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html

Back