- 2,099
- icelt
- II icelt II
Already have this posted at NASIOC.org, but never know one/some of you GTP guys might know best. I'm fairly certain there are some serious car peeps around these parts
.
My car - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, no significant AM mod's.
So today after finding that my car would not start I enlisted the help of a neighbor for a jump. It didn't work out so well
. Photographs follow:
Melted Jumper Cables
:
Offending Battery
now who would let it get this bad
:
JIC - I started off connecting the neg lead to my chassis. Then I connected the pos & neg leads to the jump battery and finally the pos to my battery. As soon as I connected the pos to my battery there was a little sparking, but it didn't seem excessive at all in my experience. However very shortly thereafter, maybe 10 secs, the insulation began to smoke. So after a few seconds of internalized "WTF
" we removed the clamps and gave up on the jump
.
The battery is a good 3 years old and I know it is my bad for ignoring the post corrosion issue for this long. I won't name names, but a local dealership installed the battery and apparently didn't use a dialectic paste/spray like they should have and I never returned to have them address it.
Regardless of how I got here my main focus now, what is the best course of action? I don't know if I can get the corroded clamp off with the tools I have therefore I'm a little leery of trying to replace the battery myself. Especially if the short that melted the jumper cables is not directly associated with the battery.
How likely is the short associated with the corrosion I ignored?
I've checked all the interior elec's I can and everything that you would expect to run off elec power still seems functional (all gauge lights, interior light, windows, clock, access lights). The only thing that doesn't respond at all is the radio/cd player, but I'm hoping that is simply because the battery is so low on charge. I also checked the water levels in the battery and they seem fine.
Lastly, money is a little tight for me right now. I would love to handle this myself to save on towing charges etc, but I am also reasonable enough to admit when something is over my head. This is where I hope the experienced feedback from the community can help direct me a little.
Thanks in advance as always.
My car - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, no significant AM mod's.
So today after finding that my car would not start I enlisted the help of a neighbor for a jump. It didn't work out so well
Melted Jumper Cables
Offending Battery
JIC - I started off connecting the neg lead to my chassis. Then I connected the pos & neg leads to the jump battery and finally the pos to my battery. As soon as I connected the pos to my battery there was a little sparking, but it didn't seem excessive at all in my experience. However very shortly thereafter, maybe 10 secs, the insulation began to smoke. So after a few seconds of internalized "WTF
The battery is a good 3 years old and I know it is my bad for ignoring the post corrosion issue for this long. I won't name names, but a local dealership installed the battery and apparently didn't use a dialectic paste/spray like they should have and I never returned to have them address it.
Regardless of how I got here my main focus now, what is the best course of action? I don't know if I can get the corroded clamp off with the tools I have therefore I'm a little leery of trying to replace the battery myself. Especially if the short that melted the jumper cables is not directly associated with the battery.
How likely is the short associated with the corrosion I ignored?
I've checked all the interior elec's I can and everything that you would expect to run off elec power still seems functional (all gauge lights, interior light, windows, clock, access lights). The only thing that doesn't respond at all is the radio/cd player, but I'm hoping that is simply because the battery is so low on charge. I also checked the water levels in the battery and they seem fine.
Lastly, money is a little tight for me right now. I would love to handle this myself to save on towing charges etc, but I am also reasonable enough to admit when something is over my head. This is where I hope the experienced feedback from the community can help direct me a little.
Thanks in advance as always.
Last edited: