Car choice: When does overkill set in?

• Thread starter JB23
  • 3 comments
Let me start by saying that I hate to lose at anything, and the fact that this game can be humbling has given me a new perspective relative to my competitive nature. I know many of you choose cars that won't overpower the opposition, but as this is my first time through GT3, I want to win those prize cars, and I'm not the most patient person in the world.

Fast forward; I'm now working on the Pro League and Endurances concurrently, but running the Pro Turbo Challenge caused me to think about my choice of car. Eventually I settled on using three different cars, one of which was my newly acquired F/688. Now it quickly became apparent that this was going to be a mismatch, but I justified it by thinking that I'm going to need this car sooner or later, and I need to get some experience with it.

I can certainly see going back to redo GT3 looking for new challenges, but the first time around, I want to win. Actually, I had so much fun running the Miata Roadster Enduro that I'm going to run it again tonight even though I won the F/688 my first time around. So, I guess what I'm asking is about your approach to choosing a car for a particular race, and for those of you working on your second, third or fourth memory card, try to remember back to the first go round.

On my first play through I remember tweaking out and Audi TT to full mods and a Zonda c12s, then with the zonda I won a f090/s, I really didn't spend much time with any other cars in that first play thru. All three cars were overkill for their respective classes and races.

Second time through I made a point to experiment with more cars. THis is where I fell in love with RUFs, especially the RGT. I also came to like the skylines, evos and imprezzas. I also found the Gillet Vertigo in this play through. I still overkilled on most races but I used more cars.

3rd time through, which took me over a year, I wasn't really trying to finish the game again but at this point I was doing OLR (on-line racing) on another site so I really got to know more cars and what tuning and perfecting line choice can do for you. I also had a wheel at this point and learned to drive with left foot braking. I pretty much settled on my prefered SIM mode garage in this game which I still use today (that garage is a fully modded RGT, CTR2, 3400s and VW new beetle 2.0, a stock RGT and Prosche 911 and one race car the Gillet Vertigo, pretty much the only cars i drive unless forced to another).

For my fourth game, which I started in the spring of this year, I took my SIm garage from the 3rd game and really worked on handicaping myself against the AI. If I qualified over .1 or .2 secs from the 2nd place car I'd go back and tune out performance or get another car. I've been working on learning new driving techniques (drifting, adjusting apexes with some slip in the rear, etc) and enjoying my final play through in GT3.

I have 4 memory cards too. One is a 200 fully modded car garage I used for OLR and as a different dealership. One is my 4th game, one is a 5th game I started only to really run some slow cars in the beginner league and one is my old OLR x-port game save with 50,000,000 credits and lots of ghost saves from OLR.

I recently have started a GT2 game, never played it so i wanted to see wha tit was about.

I don't play any other video game but the GT series has almost unlimited re-play possibilities due to you always learning new things and new techniques.

I usually just pick a car based on how fun it is to drive on a certain track. If I can't win with that car I reset and try a new car. Get frustrated I bring out a Formula 1 car.

I've only been through GT3 once. I started out trying to buy as few cars as possible. After I ran the Beginner Stars & Stripes in the Camaro racecar, I realized how foolish that was and how much time I would waste sightseeing around the rest of game if I kept that up.

Then, I switched to only putting enough power in my favorite Evo to make sure that I could only qualify on the pole by 1 second or less. But after about 600 miles, I started to get bored with the Evo.

So I made a new rule - I would only use a given car for one series, and only if I couldn't make the pole by more than 1 second.

I also don't qualify in most cases; I reenter the race and start from the back. My win ratio is onoly about 67% but that's mostly from experimentation. I think it's given more enjoyment out of what can be a very long game.

Back