Car List: H-Shifter vs Sequential?

• Thread starter David_Bohm
  • 11 comments
David_Bohm
If this is in a list somewhere I have yet to find it, which cars in real life would have a sequential transimission?

Here's one:

Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra '05 - Sequential

I suppose most if not all the race cars and prototypes would have sequential, but are there exceptions? Will all RM and LM cars have sequential? Also I can tell certain premium cars have paddles which is visible in the cockpit view...but I'm more interested in which cars would be using a sequential shifter?

If anyone who enjoys putting together car lists and databases wants to take a crack at this it would be awesome!

If anyone who enjoys putting together car lists and databases wants to take a crack at this it would be awesome!

Point one why the hell does this matter at all?

Point two, which refers to what I quoted, if you can't be bothered to do a list yourself how can you expect others to do it?

Point one why the hell does this matter at all?

Some people like to drive cars as they exist in the real world. With some of the classics in the game, some people would enjoy just experiencing the car and not just trying to be as fast as possible in it.

OP, If I don't know what a car has, I usually just Google it.

There are some weird combos you'll find though. For instance, some cars have a dog box transmission with sequential gears, but still have a clutch and have to be revmatched for downshifts. V8 Supercars would be in this category, but they aren't in the game.

Also, the Evo VII GT-A is an automatic ... =)

A lot of the cars in the game may be sold with different transmissions in real life, so you'll have to look in the car in photomode to see what it has. The MkV GTI for example is sold with a standard 6-speed, or a double clutch 6-speed.

The R8s 4.2L has R-Tronic in the name, so it's obviously equipped with the R-Tronic transmission, but the 5.2L has a gorgeous gated shifter. Not many other cars I can think of have the transmission in the name though, so you'll have to look and see.

As for the standard cars, google, and if there were multiple options for that trim level... guess.

With something like the GTI, you'd just choose which option you liked better. I'd choose the 6-speed manual over the DSG ... that's what I did in real life too when my wife got one. =)

I just comes down to Google until someone makes a database ... I think the OP has volunteered.

With something like the GTI, you'd just choose which option you liked better. I'd choose the 6-speed manual over the DSG ... that's what I did in real life too when my wife got one. =)

I just comes down to Google until someone makes a database ... I think the OP has volunteered.

The one in game is the standard 6-speed though. Depending on what the goal of the OP is, looking in the window may be the only option.

I went for the DSG. I do occasionally miss the third pedal, but it makes a lovely sound on upshifts and it's one less thing to worry about on the autox course. Plus: two clutches!? I like tricky things.

Last edited:
I was not impressed with the DSG on the test drive. It jsut seemed unresponsive and boring to me. Now, the GTR is a different story ... I could get used to that. you think the GTI sounds cool ... OMG. Drop to 2nd as it revmatches for you and that beautiful exhaust note comes in ... wow. I giggled like a school girl!

Sorry for the OT. Just sharing a love of driving with fellow enthusiasts. =)

Back on topic, you can't look in the window of the 800+ standard cars ... and Google is faster than loading up photo mode ... even if you have to drive to town to buy the computer to use.

I was not impressed with the DSG on the test drive. It jsut seemed unresponsive and boring to me. Now, the GTR is a different story ... I could get used to that. you think the GTI sounds cool ... OMG. Drop to 2nd as it revmatches for you and that beautiful exhaust note comes in ... wow. I giggled like a school girl!

Sorry for the OT. Just sharing a love of driving with fellow enthusiasts. =)

Back on topic, you can't look in the window of the 800+ standard cars ...

The DSG at low speeds, in parking lots, coming out of the driveway, stop and go traffic (ironic) is terrible and jerky, but on backroads and for autox it's lightning quick with auto-blip downshifts and even faster upshifts. That said, I'll probably be getting a manual for my next car. I never have the car in D anyway, I always go straight to M, so I'm really not gaining any convenience with the transmission, just faster shifts. The sound I was talking about is the little pop the car makes when up-shifting around 4-5k. On GTI boards it's lovingly called the "DSG Fart".

*ahem* The standards are going to be straight google, and picking the option that seems to fit the trim. Even for the automatics you could conceivably do a manual transmission swap in real life, so I don't see why one couldn't just 'pretend' they did one in the game.
I don't think the OP has come back yet to give their reasoning behind this though.

Back