**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 24/08/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 29th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week...

You may have heard that we recently landed a tiny robot on a distant planet. Quite the feat for mankind, especially considering that images were received after only a few minutes. Nevermind the fact the Olympics were only broadcasted in "Prime time" here in the states, despite it actually happening on the same planet.

Thankfully, the man responsible for Curiosity has finally returned from Mars, and has chosen this week's Car of the Week. Welcome back Turismo.M.G!

Turismo.M.G!
Back in 1998 I met one of my heroes, and he showed me around his racing car in the pits at Silverstone. He then went on to take Pole and then win in the British GT championship, beating a McLaren F1, various Porches, a Jaguar XJ220, Dodge Vipers, a Mustang, Lotus Esprits, Marcos's and even a Lamborghini Countach. I was awestruck.

That man was Tiff Needell.

1999 Lister Storm V12 Race Car

For those of you wanting more "babes", this is as good as it gets.

dekopinpin-img600x450-1328374825qt8neo36209.jpg

Image Source

Now get racing!

Alrighty then, a real race car! Now, where are we racin'? And what the h*ll am I doing up so early anyway :crazy:

I love this car, I truly do. Not for GT5, but because it electrified me at the point where I had realised there is motorsport outside of F1 which is worthy of my time.

Now it isn't easy to conquer and it is pretty rare so I will put it on share and anyone that wants a go can send me an FR (to my psn name webbithegooner).

I just wish it was also available in black racing trim.

Yeah, I wanted to paint my Lister last night.

This week's gauntlet: Spa! Let's separate the pros from the amateurs.

Yeah, I wanted to paint my Lister last night.

This week's gauntlet: Spa! Let's separate the pros from the amateurs.

Funny, I was thinking that this car would look mighty fine in shiny jet black. Spa, excellent choice, this is going to be a good weekend 👍

Ooh, nice choice indeed. Haven't done much with this car at all so time to blow the cobwebs out of the cylinders and get the oil circulating!

A quick tune (using all parts that came with the car. No add ons) on the stock racing hards got me a 2:28.428.

1999 Lister Storm V12-RC​

She came to me rated at 594hp/602pp, after an oil change she was showing 623hp/610pp. Her numbers at the test track:

1/4 mi... 11.328
1.0 mi... 27.619
0 to 60.. 03.605
to 100... 06.834
max G.... 00.920
max spd..201.00

One of my all time favorite PC race sims was SimBin's GTR series and Spa was a favorite track there, I have turned hundreds of laps at Spa in that sim. My weapon of choice being the Farrari 599. I may have to check and see if that sim is compatible with Win 7 and if so, fire it up and compare my laps times, it would be interesting to take a look at. Anyway, it's off to Spa with the Storm and since there is no reason to make the long trip with just one car I decided to take the Corvette C5-R from last week along. I recall mentioning that a big, fast track like Spa would be great for the C5-R so we shall see.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps.jpg

For me, turn one (La Source) at Spa is one of the most difficult in all of racing, especially in traffic. You need to carry as much speed through here as possible to propel you down hill into...

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_1.jpg

...Eau Rouge, a very fast left, right, left set of s-curves. You have got to maintain speed here as you are heading back uphill onto a very long straight.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_2.jpg

At the top of the hill you reach a key braking point, a lot of passing can be set up here through the Le Combs/Malmedy set of corners. Now you start back down hill into Bruxelles, a corner with a late, sharp exit apex. I like to go in late and high then cut it sharp into the exit swinging out to just touch the curbs and then cut it back hard right to set up for the left hander and on to Pouhon.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_3.jpg

I heard the tires constant protesting, but was surprised by the amount of smoke, this whole down hill section is very fast and a lot of fun! There is a right/left combo through fagnes and on to the bottom of the hill entering Stavelot, two right handers as you zoom past the farm house.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_4.jpg

Still smokin' them, out of Stavelot it is foot on the floor in top gear with just a touch of brake exiting Blanchimont.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_5.jpg

Another key braking point comes up next leading into the bus stop chicane, another great place to set up some passing just before entering the final stretch.

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_6.jpg

After the chicane it is on to the checkers!

CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_7.jpg

The C5-R entering La Source
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_8.jpg

Carrying speed out of Eau Rouge onto the long up hill straight.
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_9.jpg

Exiting the left hander out of Bruxelles, down hill into Pouhon.
CircuitdeSpa-Francorchamps_10.jpg

With the C5-R's numbers at 638hp/637pp compered to the Storm's 623hp/610pp it looked to be a good match up. So, how did they do? Times are stock, no mods or tuning, tire types listed:

Lister Storm.....(RH) - 2:24.424
Lister Storm.....(RS) - 2:19.573
Corvette C5-R..(RH) - 2:18.248

The Vette just edged out the Sorm by a hair over 1.3 seconds. I think this is due mostly to her brakes. She has crazy speed and the monster brakes needed to try and control it. Notice I said try, I had to fight the Vette throughout the course, I suppose it is just the nature of the beast. The Lister Storm on the other hand was a pleasure to drive, plenty fast and something you could really settle into a rhythm with. For a full length race I would choose the Storm, the Vette would just wear me out. I would have to do something about all that tire smoke though, I seemed to really be burning them up!
Till next time :cheers:

One thing with this car is how surprised I was by the stock handling.

Track Practice settings:
Grip Reduction Real
Tyre/fuel depletion on
All aids off except ABS 1

Out of the garage, with only an oil change applied and no tuning performed (inc. brakes), I managed to pull out a 2:27.119 on the very first lap.

Once the RH warmed up a bit more, I managed to get the time down to a respectable 2:25.587 before having to drop out for fresh rubber at which time I switched in some RS. RS didn't last long as is to be expected, but I still managed to get the time down to 2:20.922.

Time to slap on a tune. On RS I managed to get a time of 2:17.469 & on RH I managed a 2:22.964.

Such a balanced car when stock but has more to give with some basic tuning. All round it is a great car that is sorely underused by all.

Would have been faster if I didn't go with grip reduction, but I prefer to run with them on.

I've put down some laps, but nothing major yet. Should have pics and a time posted tonight.

This car is a blast to drive. That is why the car of the week treads are great. My interweb is down so I took it to my homemade track (Dopey Downs) and could not stop hot lapping it. Just a pure joy of a car 👍

Lister Storm V12

A handful this one. I found it pretty hard to get a quick time at Spa, but that might be because there's so many corners where you can gain/lose time which affect the rest of the lap.

I ended up with a pedestrian (by others' standards) 2:28.061 on RH tyres.

It was good fun though, and it turns out this is good drive, albeit tricky.

The obligatory shot at Eau Rouge...

Is it ugly? I can't decide really, it's definitely not the worst or the best looking. Functional?

Another good choice for COTW as it's not normally used, and a very testing track to try it out on.

Does this mean it's Monza for the next COTW track, now the F1 break is over? I hope so.

Cheers

Back