**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 31/08/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 30th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week...

Last week rumblina gave us some target times on various compounds for the Lister Storm. As a reward for his effort, and his silly name, we've given him this week's choice of the Car of the Week.

Being a newcomer, rumblina wasn't sure what was driven before, but still managed to choose something below everyone's radar... like a submarine. He also points out that the car is currently available to everyone, so you have absolutely no reason not to pimp this ride.

..er something.

2001 Hyundai Clix Concept

Hyundai-Clix_Concept_2001_01.jpg

Forget the radar, this is more like it:

lol @ silly name :P

Thanks for letting me select the COTW. Being so new to the series it was a surprise and an honour ( :P ). I will surely be sticking with it now that I am aware of it.

P.S: Happy Birthday porthillking 👍

rumblina
lol @ silly name :P

Thanks for letting me select the COTW. Being so new to the series it was a surprise and an honour ( :P ). I will surely be sticking with it now that I am aware of it.

P.S: Happy Birthday porthillking 👍

Thanks man! 👍

... and now for something completely crass.

With the looks of this car, I'd say it's more like nobody expects the herp(usually):crazy:

Chalk up another reason why I reallly like to follow this thread... the unexpected variety of the COTW. I'll admit it, I've basically ignored this manufacturer, except for one car before and now I finally have an excuse to give this one a go... Nice pick!

Have a good one

I bought this a few months ago when it was in the OCD before. I originally only bought it because it came in a fancy colour shift purple, but I'm glad I did now! :P Again, I'll try to get at least some pics up, but school starts again soon so I might have even less time!

Oh, and happy birthday porthillking! :cheers:

I have one of these already too, and I've never used it. It's TOO ugly to use isn't it?

Bet it turns out to be good though as it's a concept!

Don't know if I'll be taking a lot of pics this week though.

Happy Birthday porthillking from me too.

I should be able to get a go at this CotW, after missing the last one. Certainly an oddity that I can't imagine I would ever have looked at, and with 300 bhp and 4WD could be interesting. More off-road action perhaps? Hopefully I'll have a better time than with the last Korean entry.:dopey:

Another happy birthday, porthillking.

I think I've discovered why this car didn't get much press in the states. The car was debuted at the Frankfurt Motor Show, but instead of capturing the world's attention, something far more sinister was happening across the globe.

The 2001 Frankfurt Motor Show opened to the international media on Sept. 11, 2001.

It's at this point that I'd like to ask that any political or conspiracy rhetoric be kept to nil. This isn't the time, nor the place, and no one's family deserves it being drawn out any longer. Thank you.

Last edited:
I bought this a few months ago when it was in the OCD before. I originally only bought it because it came in a fancy colour shift purple, but I'm glad I did now! :P Again, I'll try to get at least some pics up, but school starts again soon so I might have even less time!

That'll be the other Hyundai concept, the HDC6. The Clix is silver only.

wolfdragon97

Oh, and happy birthday porthillking! :cheers:

iainn
I have one of these already too, and I've never used it. It's TOO ugly to use isn't it?

Bet it turns out to be good though as it's a concept!

Don't know if I'll be taking a lot of pics this week though.

Happy Birthday porthillking from me too.

Woodski_427
I should be able to get a go at this CotW, after missing the last one. Certainly an oddity that I can't imagine I would ever have looked at, and with 300 bhp and 4WD could be interesting. More off-road action perhaps? Hopefully I'll have a better time than with the last Korean entry.:dopey:

Another happy birthday, porthillking.

Thanks everyone! 👍:cheers:

SVX
That'll be the other Hyundai concept, the HDC6. The Clix is silver only.

Yes, and you can't paint it! You can put wheels and a wing on it though, she is quick and a lot of fun to drive also :)

2001 Hyundai Clix Concept​

GrandValleySpeedway_11.jpg

I actually had this car, I have no idea how I got it, but there she was. She started with 291hp/454pp, after an oil change she was at 306hp/461pp. With my mild tune she came to 395hp/496pp.

GrandValleySpeedway_10.jpg

Her numbers at the test track:

1/4 mi....13.459 / 12.188
1.0 mi....33.969 / 30.892
0 to 60...04.889 / 03.650
to 100....12.021 / 08.981
max G.....00.950 / 01.250
Max spd..164.00 / 178.40

GrandValleySpeedway_12.jpg

This little car was whole lot of fun to drive! The gearbox was well suited for the track though she was able to burn through a set of SH tires in about seven laps at Grand Valley Speedway. She really came alive with a mild tune: chip, intake/exhaust, drive train and RH tires. She handled great, recovered easily when pushed too far and the stock gearbox still performed well even at just shy of 500pp.

GrandValleySpeedway_13.jpg

My best of ten laps at Grand Valley Speedway:
stock / tuned
2:14.395 / 2:01.894

TrialMountainCircuit_6-1.jpg

After the testing it was time to go out and look for some trouble. I chose the old A-Spec challenge #1, a five lap event at Trial Mountain for 500pp cars. In stock form I was chasing down the rabbit at the finish placing P2 with a best lap of 1:45.070. Being that close stock I knew it would be a cake walk with the tuned version and it was. I took P1 early in lap three and never looked back with a best lap of 1:35.704.

TrialMountainCircuit_7-1.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_8-1.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_9-1.jpg

This car is a blast to drive and with a tune she is perfect for the old 500pp seasonals! I have owned her since April and never looked twice at her, my loss, I'll make sure not to overlook her again in the future. While I was at it I turned over 2000Km at Trial Mountain and won a ticket, my prize car: a 2000 Aston Martin DB-7 Vantage Coupe...who says putting out a little effort for COTW doesn't pay off :)

Sorry for not posting anything sooner for this car, it has been one of those weeks at work, and last weekend was too hectic to even attempt to get some solid laps in for this :( I will add lap times, etc tomorrow after I have had a chance to have a play :)

T save time as this is a week old COTW, I just did it in stock with default tyres..

The Clix is a littlw tail happy through some corners with the SH tyres which also had the advantage of making it a fun car to drive. At times on GVS it felt like I was doing a drift trial in stock setup lol. The car is surprisingly powerful and is also relatively glued to the ground under throttle and brakes.

For a car that is hard on the eye, and from Sth Korea, it is a hidden gem when you look at it from a potential PP point of view :)

Last edited:
Hyundai Clix Concept '01

HyunClix_RouteX_7.jpg

An odd little thing this. Couldn't quite put my finger on what it reminded of - something out of a Gerry Anderson series maybe, UFO or Captain Scarlet? According to the blurb it is a sports car/off-road/SUV crossover and has some kind of clever folding roof. Not that this really matters of course as we can't actually take the roof off. What does matter are the numbers:

315BHP, 1320Kg and 465pp was what the new one from the OCD with oil change gave me.

HyunClix_TrialMountain_1.jpg

I expected it to be fairly lively with 300 horses and I wasn't disappointed. Acceleration is brisk to the 150mph+ zone and, as MustangManiac found out, the gearbox is well setup for the track. What I didn't expect was the amount of fun that was soon to be had: almost typical four-wheel drive handling but with a nice power oversteer into four wheel drift instead of frustrating understeer. Indeed, the drive split is quite heavily biased toward the rear (25:75).

HyunClix_WindyHill_3.jpg

I took the stock car to Trial Mountain, Windy Hill and Off Road at Eiger K. It was all just great fun - a few issues with braking from high speed (no ABS and 4WD seems to be a bit tricky in GT5) and ended up with bias of 4:1.

Stock on SH:

Trial Mountain: 1:42.901
Windy Hill: 1:09.319
Eiger 'K': 4:32.320 (Dirt tyre)

HyunClix_EigerK_2.jpg

I had another one of these from somewhere, so went for engine/chassis rebuilds, stage 2 weight and windows, stage2 engine and race components. Plus (I think) I had the high rpm turbo:

483BHP, 1151Kg, 543pp

With usual guess-tune, this was a bit wild on SH but not untameable by any means. The stock gearing was still fine at Trial Mountain, but might need changing for longer runs. Really good fun power sliding through corners but hard to be serious and gain a time! Eventually after changing the torque split to 30:70 -

Trial Mountain on SH: 1:38.199

Edit: I also tried out the 600pp Time Trial at Autumn Ring. Again, great fun throwing it through the switchbacks and I achieved a safe bronze time; not bad for an almost 60pp deficit.

HyunClix_tune_TrialMountain_1.jpg

A classic CotW choice this: something I expect most people wouldn't bother with, but is actually really good fun to drive, is more than competent both on and off-road and tunes up well. It has fairly typical concept car looks, its dumpy profile grew on me and I thought it looked good with a 'standard' spoiler, unlike many cars. It's a pity you can't paint it though.

It's a bit of a shame not many people seem to have given this one a go: I really would urge anyone to try it out, it might surprise you.

HyunClix_EigerK_1.jpg

Last edited:
Belatedly

A lot better than it looks....

307bhp and 461pp

Lapped Trial Mountain in 1:44.894 on Sports Hards.

Actually pretty nice to drive, and not bad at all on the dirt.

Back