Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
I've been away for a bit. Been extremely depressed and deflated due to a number of reasons that just so happen to have all played out in the space of about a week. I'm gradually coming to terms with it all but it's kinda just sucked all the oxygen out of my productivity lately.

Anyways, feast your ears on Mad Mike's latest creation!

Also, some sights I saw today.
View attachment 862370 View attachment 862371 View attachment 862375 View attachment 862374 View attachment 862373 View attachment 862376 View attachment 862372

Great videos and pictures. Sorry to hear you're dealing with that. I hope you feel better soon.

This week was the first time I used my Thrusmaster T150 with Gran Turismo Sport online (now that I have a rig that I can move between my PC and my Playstation), and the Honda S2000 was about as good a car as you could ask for in the transition. Has pretty much all the positive attributes of a Miata but with much more power. It's an absolute Sleeper.

As for my experience driving GT Sport with a wheel. On the plus side, driving in manual transmission mode works a lot better than in auto mode, and it's a lot easier to make fine adjustments with throttle, brake, and steering inputs than using a DS4. However, I was a bit disappointed compared to what I've been used to on my PC sims. Assetto Corsa gives near-instant feedback when the car is losing traction, and DiRT Rally 2.0 puts a certain fear into every bump and oscillation that the next rattle in the wheel could signal me going off into the trees.

In comparison, GT Sport doesn't seem to signal anything in the wheel until it says, "Yep, you're already too late, off into the grass and dirt with you." And I still found myself being down at the back of the pack by the same amount as I was when I was using the controller. Maybe I need more time with GT Sport on the T150, but early returns are a bit unimpressive.

Maybe I need more time with GT Sport on the T150, but early returns are a bit unimpressive.
I had the same thing with my T150 as that was also my first sim wheel experience. I'd reccomend taking a bit to play with the feedback and sensitivity and all that, see what works for you. It takes a bit of getting used to, but its worth it!

Though I can't talk cos not even a month later I'd gone and bought a G29 and never looked back. Much more comfortable wheel IMO!

I had the same thing with my T150 as that was also my first sim wheel experience. I'd reccomend taking a bit to play with the feedback and sensitivity and all that, see what works for you. It takes a bit of getting used to, but its worth it!

Though I can't talk cos not even a month later I'd gone and bought a G29 and never looked back. Much more comfortable wheel IMO!
How much is that set up if you don't mind me asking? I am getting PlayStation Plus very soon.

How much is that set up if you don't mind me asking? I am getting PlayStation Plus very soon.
Well I bought my T150 second hand with wheelstand included for $400*, then when I got my G29 the guy at the shop offered it and the manual shifter for $500*. I mounted it to the wheelstand I got and it fit perfectly.

*NZ dollars of course.

I don't know about anyone else, but this new pack of cars was pretty decent...one problem - I want..no I NEED that 300SEL 6.8 AMG in my life!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the cars that dropped?

Some random thoughts. The Red Pig is a fun car, but it's a handful. With full weight reduction it's still over 3000 lbs. It needs more aero. However, it can win the some of the Nostalgic 1979 races. The Taycan is a difficult car. I think it handles pretty horribly. I'm glad I only spent 230k credits on it.

For our last two cars of the week, one was a surprise, one wasn't. The Ferrari was the surprise-I had not driven it in a long time and wasn't expecting much. That was the surprise, what a great drive. Very flexible too, eligible for many Career events. With power lowered to N300 it's a sure winner in the Boxer races. Sounds lovely too!

The S2000 is an obviously fantastic car, it does everything well. It's been a favorite since GT2. Great for racking up the credits!

Ferrari 512bb '76 verdict: sleeper
Honda S2000 '99 verdict: sleeper

Last edited:
Some random thoughts. The Red Pig is a fun car, but it's a handful. With full weight reduction it's still over 3000 lbs. It needs more aero. However, it can win the Nostalgic 1979 races. The Taycan is a difficult car. I think it handles pretty horribly. I'm glad I only spent 230k credits on it.

For our last two cars of the week, one was a surprise, one wasn't. The Ferrari was the surprise-I had not driven it in a long time and wasn't expecting much. That was the surprise, what a great drive. Very flexible too, eligible for many Career events. With power lowered to N300 it's a sure winner in the Boxer races. Sounds lovely too!

The S2000 is an obviously fantastic car, it does everything well. It's been a favorite since GT2. Great for racking up the credits!

Ferrari 512bb '76 verdict: sleeper
Honda S2000 '99 verdict: sleeper
Can't afford the pig :( it just looks so cool. Hated the Porsche, I'm calling beater

Well I bought my T150 second hand with wheelstand included for $400*, then when I got my G29 the guy at the shop offered it and the manual shifter for $500*. I mounted it to the wheelstand I got and it fit perfectly.

*NZ dollars of course.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to trying it and participating online soon.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon for last week's car.

The S2000 isn't just a sleeper, it's an all time great. I could see these being one of the most sought-after cars ever 25 years from now.

I absolutely agree. The S2000 is one of the greatest Japanese cars of all time, if not the world. It’s one of maybe 2 cars that I drive every time I log in. While being amazing, I don’t give it sleeper status. I’m voting neutral. Hear me out, I kinda expect Honda to built such brilliant cars, especially with a clean sheet design sports roadster. The only other car I can think of that can give you the same driving experience is a 60s Lotus Elan. I’ve always loved the S2000 and PD nailed it in-game. It was my absolute favorite car in the game until the Ferrari Daytona was added. The S2000 is a bucket list car for me to own. Hopefully I can get one before they shoot up in value like E30 M3s! It’s truly a back to basics sports car with timeless style and a handling balance that we will never see in a roadcar again.

I absolutely agree. The S2000 is one of the greatest Japanese cars of all time, if not the world. It’s one of maybe 2 cars that I drive every time I log in. While being amazing, I don’t give it sleeper status. I’m voting neutral. Hear me out, I kinda expect Honda to built such brilliant cars, especially with a clean sheet design sports roadster. The only other car I can think of that can give you the same driving experience is a 60s Lotus Elan. I’ve always loved the S2000 and PD nailed it in-game. It was my absolute favorite car in the game until the Ferrari Daytona was added. The S2000 is a bucket list car for me to own. Hopefully I can get one before they shoot up in value like E30 M3s! It’s truly a back to basics sports car with timeless style and a handling balance that we will never see in a roadcar again.

I almost pulled the trigger on one 5 years ago or so. Still regret it. I feel like everyone should at least drive one once. I loved it. Ex didn't, of course. **** me.

100%. I’ve been lucky to drive both generations of it and genuinely nothing from its era comes close to the raw experience of driving it.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to drive an AP1, I always wondered if the AP2 is different. The shifting was one of the best I've ever felt. When you get in tune with this car, you almost become one. Sounds cheesy, but that's how I feel. The seller let me take it out for an hour, great guy. Had the time of my life. Ex refused due to only two seats and he thought it was 'ugly'. We didn't last long.

On a funny note, one of my dream cars that may be attainable soon! is a 1990 Lotus Esprit SE. I've driven several Esprits due to my obsession with them. And let me tell you, shifting the pre V8 models is like making a long distance call to Paris (quote from Car and Drive and it's 100% true).

This week we are taking a look at the german company that was made for the people during WWII. I wouldn't quite say we have different variation of this car from the different GT games but there has always been a Beetle race car in each installment. This week we are taking a look at the band The Beetles, but not really we are going racing with the VW Beetle Gr3. This weeks car is chosen by @RobboGTAddict

latest

Personally I don't want to fork out $450k for this car, but at the same time, it's a fascinating car.

I still don't fully understand the GR system. So there's GR 1-4 and GR X. I understand GR X (can't be used everywhere) but what is up with these tuner cars? Did PD just tune certain models? Help with the GR system would be appreciated
@Alex p tried valiantly to help but I still don't get why they're putting these grade cars in. Very reminiscent of GT1 with all the special edition cars like the crazy GTO race car that beat everything.

Well, as the below post says, this car is worth the money. Bought.

After buying: Holy ****, this car is FAST. And tail happy! Takes a talented driver. I know what I'm doing today in my free time. Great choice @RobboGTAddict

Last edited:
Personally I don't want to fork out $450k for this car, but at the same time, it's a fascinating car.

I still don't fully understand the GR system. So there's GR 1-4 and GR X. I understand GR X (can't be used everywhere) but what is up with these tuner cars? Did PD just tune certain models? Help with the GR system would be appreciated
@Alex p tried valiantly to help but I still don't get why they're putting these grade cars in. Very reminiscent of GT1 with all the special edition cars like the crazy GTO race car that beat everything.

Well, as the below post says, this car is worth the money. Bought.

After buying: Holy ****, this car is FAST. And tail happy! Takes a talented driver. I know what I'm doing today in my free time. Great choice @RobboGTAddict

I'll try again: PD created them in order to express the "Sport" part of the game and also for using them as race classes in all these FIA racing championships. They needed something for that and simply came up with these classes.

I'll try again: PD created them in order to express the "Sport" part of the game and also for using them as race classes in all these FIA racing championships. They needed something for that and simply came up with these classes.

Nowwww I get it. Thanks mate! Makes sense for the Sport aspect. And that Beetle is a bat out of hell! Thank you @Alex p.

If I could shake your hand I would. Holy ****, this explains everything I was wondering! Thank you SO SO much. And thanks to @Alex p. as well who has helped me through this journey as well.

I finally get it! You're a life saver.

Only thing to add to that video is the Gr2 machines that were added later on, the Super GT GT500 class(and possibly any future DTM machines :P).

They are obviously behind the Gr1 prototypes, but way ahead of the Gr3 GT3(plus an ex-GT1) racers. ;)

Had a look at my extremely uncharacteristic mistake at Bathurst. Turns out I got a bit too greedy on the inside heading into McPhillamy, grazed the wall which spat me just far out enough to put a wheel in the dirt. :eek:

And Vic just sailed past laughing. Or totally dumbfounded at his good fortune. Idk it would have been one or the other. :lol:

BPOV (Baron's Point of View) on last night's COTW racing...

qLGuY6B.jpg

pShAFgO.jpg

I've always thought the Gr.3 Beetle as a Sleeper and a Keeper... and when the Beetle was dominating the Sport mode racing in GT Sport, they nerfed it. But not enough to change my Sleeper status. Great car, fantastic handling, surprisingly great on tyre wear... but she can be thirsty thanks to the turbo.

As I mentioned last night, I honestly believe PD got the power numbers from the RallyCross (I thought it was called XCross) Beetle...

Cheers

Last edited:
While I can accept the theory as to where they potentially got the power figure from, the fact that both the Beetle and the Scirocco don’t have a road car or even a VGT to use as their base for said race cars is an interesting one.

Bugatti has the Veryon as it’s basis for the Gr4 Veryon and the VGT for its Gr1 counterpart.

Only the Renault R.S.01 I brought out last night is(as far as i’m aware) the only one without a road car or VGT, but instead uses the GrX version built for one make race championships as it’s base for its Gr3 car.

While I can accept the theory as to where they potentially got the power figure from, the fact that both the Beetle and the Scirocco don’t have a road car or even a VGT to use as their base for said race cars is an interesting one.

Bugatti has the Veryon as it’s basis for the Gr4 Veryon and the VGT for its Gr1 counterpart.

Only the Renault R.S.01 I brought out last night is(as far as i’m aware) the only one without a road car or VGT, but instead uses the GrX version built for one make race championships as it’s base for its Gr3 car.

One could make the argument that the 2 VW VGT's are Sciraco "based" just by the looks... but that's just my opinion for what it's worth. As for the base models, well maybe not in GT Sport, but we could look at both GT5 and GT6 for those. We also had the Sciracco GT24 models for sure in GT6. Even that "Bug on Steroids" RSi model didn't have the power numbers, but at the time, it was the VW road car monster compared to the "racing" Cup cars :lol: ;)... unless we include the Nardo with that fabulous W engine.

EDIT: Upon reading the notes for the "hard top" version VGT, it mentions the Golf. I'll be damned...

Cheers

Last edited:
One could make the argument that the 2 VW VGT's are Sciraco "based" just by the looks... but that's just my opinion for what it's worth. As for the base models, well maybe not in GT Sport, but we could look at both GT5 and GT6 for those. We also had the Sciracco GT24 models for sure in GT6. Even that "Bug on Steroids" RSi model didn't have the power numbers, but at the time, it was the VW road car monster compared to the "racing" Cup cars :lol: ;)... unless we include the Nardo with that fabulous W engine.

EDIT: Upon reading the notes for the "hard top" version VGT, it mentions the Golf. I'll be damned...

Cheers
That Nardo always kept me on my feet, I loved that car, it was gorgeous!

Back