Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
u7UMVBb.jpg

Paul Newman Livery by JohnnyCrash1313
Considering the entire Nissan Z range was once awarded the prestigious(?) Car of the Year award during the GT6 era of Car of the Week, it could be understood that expectations were high for the 300ZX. However, I soon began thinking that this model might not have been the best choice for the Z's debut in GT Sport. Both against the AI and Online, I found it difficult to get the power down on acceleration and to get through corners without either oversteering or scrubbing off too much speed.

As others have noted, I brought out the Acura NSX Type-R (with some power taken away) to benchmark against the 300ZX. We do have to acknowledge the NSX is a different breed of car, but the difference between the cars were stark. Where the Z felt sluggish to respond to inputs of power or steering, the NSX felt direct, sharp, and completely connected with everything I asked of it. The result is a mismatch that the 300ZX has no chance of winning...

vpRVVdi.jpg

....although that didn't stop one person from trying.
I'll admit to having some difficulty making up my mind on a verdict, so I'll sum it up like this: Those who are looking for a pure racing machine straight out of the showroom should probably look elsewhere than the 300ZX. For those who just want a fairly cheap car for hooning and other acts of general immaturity though, the Nissan 300ZX seems made to order. It's a Beater for one audience and a Sleeper for another, so I'll split the difference and call it "Neutral."

We had some great racing this week, and I was lucky enough to be there!!! This just showcases the fact that the COTW crew has a diverse field where anybody has a chance of winning... which makes it even better!!! Always has been, always will be! Some examples...

Cheers

Thanks for posting those race vids BBR. I've watched them 4 or 5 times now, almost as exciting as being there! Oh, wait, I was 💡

Not even a single Murican muscle car ever in car of week so I think its the time. Also that 707 hp monster clearly deserves to be the first one.

The car is random each week and usually a different member from this group or those that have contributed in the past will receive a private message from me asking for their choice of car.

I've already contacted the person for this week and just have to post it online but it's another classic Japanese car that we will be testing this week.

Last Tuesday we tested the Nissan 300ZX which brought us some great battles and almost everyone had a chance at winning. I'd say the 300ZX is a decent car but pry not one of the best Nissan Z cars out there but hopefully in this life span of GTS we get a few more of these cars. Overall I would rate this car as a neutral.

Now onto this weeks car. We happen to stay in the country of Japan and it brings another iconic sports car from the 90s. I'll just let @MidFieldMaven explain the rest about this car.
I'll go with the NSX Type R '92. The first Type R ever, and the only one until '95 when the Integra Type R was released. It should be one of the best-handling cars of all time, but is that enough to win the sleeper award, that's the question. I mean 284 horsepower is common in V6-equipped cars these days. Thanks for the opportunity.

So give a big warm welcome to the '92 Honda NSX Type R
Honda_NSX_Type_R.jpg

It's my first time commenting in this thread so don't be too harsh with me :-]

The NSX is one hell of a dream car. Everything seems perfect to me: the suspension, the overall balance in corners, even the sound is addicting. On the Nordschleife I managed to get a 7:58,xxx with Sport Hard tires. It may not be the fastest on the ring but a sub 8min lap was an unbelievably fast time in the early 90s. BestMotoring took the NA1 to the Nordschleife and they got a 8:03 I think which shows how accurate the car has been implemented.

Ayrton Senna and the Honda guys really slayed the competition with this masterpiece. Does anyone have around 100k for me?

I bought mine in that highland green colour and it looks so funny with the small 16" white stock wheels.

Had to move to 18" TE37s to look right.

Car is very taily but so awesome... n300-400 dominating.

Hey hey @Baron Blitz Red you have no idea how proud I am for that win, not to mention the video! I've followed you around Maggiore more than a few times, and you know how to get around there quite well. I faltered at that uphill right turn like you, so imagine my surprise when I got a good drive off the corner and passed. Another amazing race with you, brother.

As for the car review. I struggle with some MR cars. The Alpine we drove a few weeks ago was lovely, whereas the NSX is definitely tail happy. I tried it on SM and SS tires while practicing, and it seemed to aggravate the quick turn-in with off-throttle oversteer problem. With no changes other than setting the LSD set at 5/5/60 it improved quite a bit.

It's fast, no doubt, but a handful. I'll rate this neutral because it's got great possibilities, yet isn't quite as fun as the 300XZ or as solid as the Alpine.

The requisite livery shot, courtesy of mikezub
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1175407/1/4621335341082640928

4621335341082640928_23.jpg

P.S. I sent the girlfriend that video. I hope she enjoys it, she was my PS4 benefactor....GT Sport and PS+ membership too.

Hey hey @Baron Blitz Red you have no idea how proud I am for that win, not to mention the video! I've followed you around Maggiore more than a few times, and you know how to get around there quite well. I faltered at that uphill right turn like you, so imagine my surprise when I got a good drive off the corner and passed. Another amazing race with you, brother.

Lake Mag is my favourite PD created track, but I admit, that ONE corner is my nemesis. I also found the NSX tail happy, as you both saw and avoided to make the pass when I made the mistake. Well done, as I'm very confident on that track and you kept with me for around 3 and a bit laps. 👍👍

We still haven't found where you put those magnets on my car, but expect a call from the FIA stewards... they seem VERY interested too! :mischievous: :lol:

Cheers

w8EVlbV.jpg

1995 Le Mans Class Winner Livery by Cytoria
What praise can I possibly laud upon the original Acura (or Honda) NSX that hasn't already been done by numerous automotive journalists far better compensated for their writing? Few cars from its era look as stylish and attractive as the NSX, and it has the handling chops to more than back up its supercar looks. In terms of powertrain, 270+ horsepower was very respectable for its time period, especially from only six cylinders. It's more than enough power to get this lightweight sports car around.

This is going to be one short review, but how many more words are really necessary? The NSX transcends Beater or Sleeper and is simply a masterpiece of a car. Some people talk about Japanese Legends...to me this car IS the Japanese Legend. Singular.

Bdu0yTr.jpg

I would really want to see a video of the fight for 4th position as well ! Can somebody upload that ? Should be brilliant.

I have the video of that race on the server but not uploaded to youtube. For the keywords if you type in Nissan 300ZX COTW that should bring up the race or type in my PSN name racer2833 you should be able to watch all of the videos from the last few weeks.

Honda NSX Type R '92
2,977 cc
284 hp / 7,000 rpm
226 ft-lbs / 5,500 rpm
2,712 lbs

Best lap at Tsukuba:

1:04.549 - Audi TTS Coupe
1:04.551 - Alfa Romeo 4C
1:04.561 - Nissan R33 GT-R V-spec
1:04.572 - De Tomaso Pantera
1:04.659 - Subaru WRX STI Type S
1:04.748 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.X
1:04.780 - Nissan R32 GT-R V-spec II
1:04.859 - Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
1:04.860 - Alpine A110
1:04.980 - Honda NSX Type R
1:05.034 - Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG
1:05.237 - Toyota Supra RZ

Faster than the Supra which has 160 more ft-lbs of torque, but also weighs 600 lbs heavier than the NSX.
Nearly ties the RX-7 and R32 GT-R.

Best lap at Suzuka East:

0:57.969 - Nissan R34 GT-R V-spec II Nur
0:57.868 - Ford Mustang GT
0:58.140 - Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
0:58.265 - Alpine A110
0:58.352 - Honda NSX Type R
0:58.435 - Nissan R32 GT-R V-spec II
0:58.449 - Audi TTS Coupe
0:58.719 - Subaru WRX STI Type S
0:58.737 - Toyota Supra RZ
0:58.842 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.Final
0:58.853 - Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

Slightly different result here. NSX beats the R32, TTS, STI, and Evo, while it was slower than those cars at Tsukuba. Again, the NSX ends up finishing right behind the RX-7 and A110.

Supercar, the NSX isn't. More like exotic sports car. It is beautiful and lightweight, with Honda reliability and engineering brilliance. This is why it's my favorite car of all time. I'm hoping for a new Type R with manual transmission.

Last edited:
I'm calling Neutral on the NSX.

We all know it's a fantastic car, but in the modern day and age it's showing its flaws.

I’m interested to know what flaws there are? I’m neutral as well on it as well, but only because it doesn’t surprise me. A supercar 30 years ago was what a sportscar is considered nowadays. I still absolutely adore it though.

I’m interested to know what flaws there are? I’m neutral as well on it as well, but only because it doesn’t surprise me. A supercar 30 years ago was what a sportscar is considered nowadays. I still absolutely adore it though.
The suspension feels a bit softer than it should and it would probably benefit from a more modern differential.

The suspension feels a bit softer than it should and it would probably benefit from a more modern differential.

I would agree with you on those, but you are talking about a series produced sportscar from the early nineties. What were you expecting from it?

I would agree with you on those, but you are talking about a series produced sportscar from the early nineties. What were you expecting from it?
Something a bit more...I'm not sure what the right word is. It's a little too loose?

The Honda NSX Type R is pretty decent car and can be thrown around on some tracks Back in the 90s when the NSX was in its heyday it was considered a supercar as it was a strong competitive car but nowadays we look at it being just a normal sports car as there are cars that can reach faster speeds and high horsepower. Overall the NSX is a decent car and it put up some pretty competitive racing on Tuesday night.

Now we are heading stateside with this next car company. This company brought us the Cuda and the Super Bird but we get the opportunity to test one of their concept cars. So lets welcome to this weeks Car of the Week the Plymouth XNR Concept. This car was chosen by @Obelisk.

33d7a68c10c9c53b3309df9244f3cb00bbb33007.jpg

The Plymouth has a lovely exhaust note, but I think it suffers from a top speed somewhere around 110 mph.

Back