Car of the Week 228: COTY GTS Finale

• Thread starter Racer283
  • 3,110 comments
The 1994+ models made the 300ZX TT feel slow. Newer ones have an underrated 320hp/325tq and weighed WAY less, 150lbs less as the years went on. I had a 96 VR4 and ran a best of 13.29@103.0 stock. No mods.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/virtual-velocity/

Nice run. The second gen models had. 6 speed and 320hp/315tq and weighed 3650-3710 lbs. I had a 1996 3000GT VR4 and ran a 13.28@103.1 STOCK. I made 300ZX Twin Turbo owners cry.

The GTO MR beat the Skyline GTR R32/R33 in a staright line. The MR weighed only 67 lbs less.

Slowest JDM car is the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. Launches awful, bad gearing for acceleration, but lovely other than that. Once 1993 hit the Z died quickly as Nissan didn't update it, leaving it with a weak 300hp/283tq. Never been tested under 13.7 ET or trapped higher than 105, which is what the VR4 trapped highest as well.

I'm gonna go play GT5 and be salty. Lol

Actually it’s very fast in corners thanks to four-wheel steering.

Guys, if this car would be so fast (in a straight line OR corners), it would not be 1 second slower, than the Lancer IV (slowest JDM), and also not roughly 8-9 seconds slower, than the 300ZX. It is neither fast in a straight line (maybe first 120 Km/h or so), nor really fast in corners.

Actually it’s very fast in corners thanks to four-wheel steering.

I'm talking real life, you're talking a game. In real life the Z32 is a steaming pile, and has been in every GT game. Go to GT5 and drag a normal 2+0 300ZX TT and 1996 GTO TT/VR4 and it's murder from a dig.
First off, in GTS i don't care about your time. If you drag the Z with the GTO stock to stock, the Z only passes at 120mph plus, and that's giving the Z a head start. The Z isn't any faster in the long run either, I pass it.
I already messed with the gearing and gave on of my VR4s 321hp@3710 lbs and a 300ZX TT with 300HP - guess what, the Z got spanked.

If you want trash, have it, but don't spew BS. You're playing a video game, im talking about real life and the post i made proves how slow the Z is compared to it's competitors

Guys, if this car would be so fast (in a straight line OR corners), it would not be 1 second slower, than the Lancer IV (slowest JDM), and also not roughly 8-9 seconds slower, than the 300ZX. It is neither fast in a straight line (maybe first 120 Km/h or so), nor really fast in corners.
Since you seem like a Z32 fan, here's your proof:
Best Motoring is a famous Japanese television show that’s focuses on Japanese performance cars. They’re drivers are actual race car drivers that have WON AWARDS. They tested all the performance cars of the era.
In 1994 Mitsubishis 3000GT VR4 beat the R32 Skyline GTR, a car that weighs 3100 lbs and dyno 270@whp. ! And then in 1996, the GTO MR, which is identical to the 2G VR4, with 67 less pounds, bested an R33 Skyline GTR pulling a 12.8 quarter mile. The Z32 got 14.1 to the 1/4m for a TT 2+0 lightest year
The Skyline GTR was the fastest model Nissan made, their Halo car. The J spec VR4 identical, how would it lose to a 300ZX Twin Turbo which is a much less powerful car? These videos alone prove how much faster it is

1990 to 1993
Road and Track, 1989 300ZX Twin Turbo Debut http://www.300zx.cl/ga2/300zx2/images/ryt895.jpg 0 to 60 / 6.5s. / 0 to 100 16.5s, quarter mile of 15.0@96mph
Road and Track,1990 3000GT VR4 Debut http://www.stealth316.com/images/rt_9-90-p8.jpg 0 to 60 6.3s / 0 to 100 16.2 / quarter mile 14.5@95.0mph
In Road and Track, the VR4 consistently got more praise and better times

http://www.300zx.cl/ga3/300zx3/images/car3005.jpg -
Car and Driver, 1992, 'Slide the High Country'
300ZX Twin Turbo: 0 to 60 5.5, quarter mile 14.2mph@101 3000GT VR4: 0 to 60 5.4, quarter mile 14.0@99mph
Considering the VR4 to be .01s faster when it weighs 350 lbs more, these aren't awful results, especially the slalom, where the Z is .89 and the VR4 .91. Ouch. https://www.caranddriver.com/review...e-stealth-r-t-turbo-archived-comparison-test/ - The 300ZX Twin Turbo won with a faster ET and trap, (though C/D did state this was the fastest TT-Z theyd every tested). Ouch. After 1994 Tests

1994 to 1999
1. - MotorWeek, 1994
3000GT VR4, 0 - 60 in 4.9 and the quarter mile in 13.5@103, MW couldn't get the Z faster than 13.7@103, so 3-4 car lengths ahead at the same trap speed
2. https://www.motortrend.com/news/virtual-velocity/ MotorTrend, 1995, 'Virtual Velocity
Z, 13.9@102.0 / VR4, 13.5@101.6
The Z is 4-6 car lengths away and moving .4s faster isn't passing up that much ET difference.
3. - Stock 1999 3000GT VR4, quarter mile of 13.2@102.7 This is a thoroughly stock car. It took him over a month to get the launch down
4. http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/rtt10.jpg - Road and Track, 1994
300ZX Twin Turbo,14.4@99.7mph / 3000GT VR4, 14.2@99.0
Another instance of the VR4 being too far ahead for the Z to catch up to with under a single mph. It lost by 2 SECONDS around a track to the VR4 http://www.300zx.cl/ga/300zx/images/rtt07.jpg
5. https://www.motortrend.com/news/mitsubishi-3000gt-vr4/ - The launch was bad for both the Supra TT and VR4, yet the VR4 did 0-60 in 4.8s and tied the Supra TT in the 1/4m @ 13.6s, with the Supra trapping substantially higher (Obviously).
6. https://archiv.3000gt.org/viewtopic.php?t=2582 - Popular Mechanics, 1999, Acceleration Nation
1999 3000GT VR-4, 0 to 60 in 5.00s, 1/4m in 13.44s @ 101.79mph
They could have had a better launch, but who cares, no 300ZX Twin Turbo is pulling a 13.4 ET without bolt ons and definitely slick rubber.
7. Seems the Z32 isn't all it's shaped up to be, it lost to a 250HP Corvette by a SECOND around a track When all was said and done, the Cor¬vette turned laps in the one-minute 38-second range, at an average speed of 64 mph, while the Nissan was almost a second per lap slower. "No big deal," you're saying? On the contrary. It is a big deal in a two-hour race. Far more important, the Corvette—with its hip-hugging seats, smooth power delivery, and neutral handling—is far easier to drive for long peri¬ods at those speeds. To put the Cor¬vette's racetrack prowess into per¬spective, remember that the big V-8 produces 50 fewer horsepower than the twin-turbo terror https://www.caranddriver.com/review...03/1991-chevrolet-corvette-z51-fx3-vs-nissan-

300zx-archived-comparison-test/ http://www.300zx.cl/ga2/300zx/images/cvsg4.jpg - The 300ZX TTs results. 0-60 5.9, 0-100 14.3, 1/4m 14.6@96.

I have even more proof but that should cover it.
I absolutely hate people who can't admit the truth. The VR4 with the 6 speed, 320HP and 315TQ absolutely spanks the 300ZX. Dig or roll. I owned both.

If they release a 2G VR4 ill show you. I'm tempted enough to just upload the results of my 0-155mph run with my 300HP Z @ under 3500 lbs and 321HP VR4 that weighs 3710.
You're out of your depth here. Ive been around all 4. And just pointing out that the GTO is slow is stupid. So is the 300ZX Twin Turbo.

What was your point? To convince ppl the slow ass Z32 is faster? Well, this is real life and as you can see the Z lost every test after 1994 and some before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking real life, you're talking a game. In real life the Z32 is a steaming pile, and has been in every GT game. Go to GT5 and drag a normal 2+0 300ZX TT and 1996 GTO TT/VR4 and it's murder from a dig.
First off, in GTS i don't care about your time. If you drag the Z with the GTO stock to stock, the Z only passes at 120mph plus, and that's giving the Z a head start. The Z isn't any faster in the long run either, I pass it.
I already messed with the gearing and gave on of my VR4s 321hp@3710 lbs and a 300ZX TT with 300HP - guess what, the Z got spanked.

If you want trash, have it, but don't spew BS. You're playing a video game, im talking about real life and the post i made proves how slow the Z is compared to it's competitors

What are you on about? I made no mention of the Nissan Z cars.

Really like this car as well as its relatives. A longtime favorite of mine.
It's grown on me as well, reminds me of GT1&GT2.
*BUT it needs the newer models of the GTO/3000GT VR4 with the 6 speed and upped power* It's a completely different car!

And I want the Lotus Esprit to make an appearance as well!!!

"Impressive" time there mate

As for the car: it looks good and sounds alright, but i didn't like its steering one bit. So slow and constantly understeering. That's a beater for me

Understandable. It's only quick in 1st and 2nd, 3-4 is a slog.

It's better modded and if you mess with the gear ratios.
I reccomend trying to replicate the 6 speed/320 HP model. Give it 321HP/347.3 TQ. Shorten the ratios to 57/80/106/132/163, final drive ratio of 3.871 (same as the second gen GTO TT). This allows it to beat a 300HP 300ZX TT from 0-150, as well as many other cars. Top speed is 155, so keep that in mind.

You can also go full out and get 592HP/639TQ. With that much power the gears only need to be shortened a little bit and you have a 200mph car.

Last edited:
I'm going to do my best to get back up to date with all the videos, and even thoughts on the last few cars, within the next few days. Finally finished up all the real life racing I've been doing these last weeks, so I can get a write up done!

Edit: reason I was late to the meet was I was helping out a mate with his car. What car, you ask? Well...

20190918_141005.jpg
20190918_125205.jpg

Last edited:
Introducing the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Buttoccs ‘91

73474DFA-A6C7-4857-A43A-79EF05E067FA.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve done a proper write-up on this thread of a car in some time so I thought I’d give it a go after my experience on Tuesday night driving this car in the lobby.

The car feels like a soggy bag of bread to drive. The brakes are weak, the engine feels weak, the car takes forever to rotate. Honestly, it’s the JDM equivalent of trying to navigate a Limousine around a racetrack.

What makes this car so bad you may ask? Its pretty much entirely just the weight. It’s ridiculously heavy and needs a good tune up to really feel useful, which we didn’t have access to of course. To put it in perspective, The GTO is in the same weight category in the Garage as a Maserati GranTurismo and Mercedes SLR, and it’s going up against cars like the 22B and RX-7.

The powertrain feels just as sluggish. It’s decently powerful for a JDM car of the era at 285 horses stock, but due to the immense thickness of its manboobs, the power just feels lost after you get to any sort of incline. You won’t be bouncing off the rev limiter coming out of any sort of uphill section within an hour. Not to mention when you shift up to fourth, prepare to never see fifth gear ever as the car goes into hibernation down the long straight of Fuji.

C4C04766-0D09-481E-A262-16C3ABF311B6.jpeg

Now what can really be said about the Twin Buttoccs aside from the fact that it feels horrendously sluggish in virtually all scenarios minus a downhill bend? Nothing! This thing is in need of a serious tune-up!

So stock, this one is definitely a beater. An RX-7 would run circles around this car.

Introducing the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Buttoccs ‘91

View attachment 851752

I don’t think I’ve done a proper write-up on this thread of a car in some time so I thought I’d give it a go after my experience on Tuesday night driving this car in the lobby.

The car feels like a soggy bag of bread to drive. The brakes are weak, the engine feels weak, the car takes forever to rotate. Honestly, it’s the JDM equivalent of trying to navigate a Limousine around a racetrack.

What makes this car so bad you may ask? Its pretty much entirely just the weight. It’s ridiculously heavy and needs a good tune up to really feel useful, which we didn’t have access to of course. To put it in perspective, The GTO is in the same weight category in the Garage as a Maserati GranTurismo and Mercedes SLR, and it’s going up against cars like the 22B and RX-7.

The powertrain feels just as sluggish. It’s decently powerful for a JDM car of the era at 285 horses stock, but due to the immense thickness of its manboobs, the power just feels lost after you get to any sort of incline. You won’t be bouncing off the rev limiter coming out of any sort of uphill section within an hour. Not to mention when you shift up to fourth, prepare to never see fifth gear ever as the car goes into hibernation down the long straight of Fuji.

View attachment 851753

Now what can really be said about the Twin Buttoccs aside from the fact that it feels horrendously sluggish in virtually all scenarios minus a downhill bend? Nothing! This thing is in need of a serious tune-up!

So stock, this one is definitely a beater. An RX-7 would run circles around this car.
Tune it. There's two versions of this car, and this is the first one. Yes it's a slog past second, I think PD got this car wrong personally it shouldn't be this slow, I've ridden in some. Just my 2 cents

Tune it. There's two versions of this car, and this is the first one. Yes it's a slog past second, I think PD got this car wrong personally it shouldn't be this slow, I've ridden in some. Just my 2 cents
This car is getting ripped on when no one had complaints about the second gen one in all the other GTs. Besides heavy weight and understeer, it was the 3rd fastest JDM of it's time beating both the Nissan 300ZX TT and RX7 TT minus the newest one.

This car is getting ripped on when no one had complaints about the second gen one in all the other GTs. Besides heavy weight and understeer, it was the 3rd fastest JDM of it's time beating both the Nissan 300ZX TT and RX7 TT minus the newest one.
On the Tuesday night meetings, we race each car as it is, stock with no tuning. It's how this club's always been, and how it most likely always will be.

And the fact of the matter is, in stock form, rightly or wrongly by PD, the GTO is a whale of a car.

On the Tuesday night meetings, we race each car as it is, stock with no tuning. It's how this club's always been, and how it most likely always will be.

And the fact of the matter is, in stock form, rightly or wrongly by PD, the GTO is a whale of a car.

Yes, it's heavy. It also has the power to back it up in later versions of the car (320-330hp/315-330tq) had a 6 speed.

It the 2G ever shows up I'll race it stock. Remember, the Z was 3550 in later form and the Supra was even fatter at 3600+ meaning only 100lbs off with no power difference for the second generation.

Do what you do, I don't care. But PD did a poor representation of this car. It just happens to be a car i owned and enjoyed. Look above in the thread, I posted about how slow the Z is.

Bottom line is this is a video game for a reason.

Do you guys who do write ups know anything about the platform you're writing about in real life or just in the context of a game?

Do you guys who do write ups know anything about the platform you're writing about in real life or just in the context of a game?
Easy with the double posts there, bud. The mods don't take too kindly to it. There's an edit button for a reason.

Also, I'm sure many of the regulars here have not driven all of the cars we review IRL. Heck, I'm a real life racing driver. Have I ever driven a GTO in real life? No, but I know understeer when I feel it, and in this game, the GTO is a heavy, understeer-y tank of a car. You turn the wheel and the front is incredibly reluctant to turn in. It's a common trait of 4WD cars, and the added weight doesn't help. The R32 has the same problem.

Some cars are just like that sometimes.

Easy with the double posts there, bud. The mods don't take too kindly to it. There's an edit button for a reason.

Also, I'm sure many of the regulars here have not driven all of the cars we review IRL. Heck, I'm a real life racing driver. Have I ever driven a GTO in real life? No, but I know understeer when I feel it, and in this game, the GTO is a heavy, understeer-y tank of a car. You turn the wheel and the front is incredibly reluctant to turn in. It's a common trait of 4WD cars, and the added weight doesn't help. The R32 has the same problem.

Some cars are just like that sometimes.

I've driven all 4. I'm old. I agree with the turning. The trade off is perfect traction and faster turn out of corners than RWD.
It's not as bad IRL and funnily enough, the GTO MR, which weighed only 67 lbs less than a normal GTO TT, beat the Skyline GTR R32/R33 and in GT5 the 1996 GTO Twin Turbo beats it in a full on run to 150mph.

As good as this game is, it's a game. They can't get everything right. Reminds me of when they messed up on the 05 Mustang GT, which was super slow for no reason, another car I owned that wasn't reflected at ALL in the game.

I don't know how I keep double posting, but sorry. At the end of the day, it's just a game, not real life, and I have to deal with it and just let it go. If I were Mitsubishi I'd complain, but they're almost dead as a company anyways. Soon they'll be making money only putting cars in games without making any.

I didn't have any bad intentions, just found the typo amusing, considering the car :lol:

As much as PD messed up this car, its grown on me.
Stock, as slow as it is, it will still gap a 300ZX TT til 120mph and then overtake it towards the end of special stage x. There's actually quite a few cars it can beat stock, especially around tracks where AWD can be an asset (Tsukuba comes to mind, but all types can compete on that) - it gets out of corners and is able to go full throttle quicker than any other set up besides another AWD car.

It's much better modded. I wanted to see a real life sim on the Z vs the GTO. I changed the HP to 321 and changed the gears to match the second gen car, put the weight @ 3710 lbs. Then I upped the 300ZX TTs HP to 300 and set it's weight at under 3500 lbs.
It's murder. It gaps the Z until 160, 5mph more than it's limiter (which doesn't apply to the game obviously). This is the only way I get to try and drive a second generation version.

Fully modded it's not too bad, and an easy 200mph car. The gears work in it's favor giving it a huge top speed. I shortened the ratios a tiny bit and cleaned up at the J spec race.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome bruv! Happy you enjoy the car as well.
That's some good driving on all parts mate. Were all cars stock?

Yep we race all cars stock for the most part but there are times were we increase the power of the cars just for fun. The whole point of Car of the Week is to test cars we normally wouldn't drive in a normal racing game and determined if they are sleeper status or beater status. At the end of the year we pick a car to be Car of the Year and a car for Beater of the Year.

If you can't make it to our Tuesday races, you are always welcome to leave your input about a car we choose for the week.

Yep we race all cars stock for the most part but there are times were we increase the power of the cars just for fun. The whole point of Car of the Week is to test cars we normally wouldn't drive in a normal racing game and determined if they are sleeper status or beater status. At the end of the year we pick a car to be Car of the Year and a car for Beater of the Year.

If you can't make it to our Tuesday races, you are always welcome to leave your input about a car we choose for the week.
Thanks, appreciate it! I may show up. And the GTO stock is definitely beater of the year lol.I love it, but plenty hate it, and I get it.
The drag racing sounds fun

Latest Posts

Back