Car Restoration Shows thread

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Australia
Down under
I know there is a /Drive thread floating about in this forum but this one is aimed at discussing car restoration shows on telly. Yes, it could be in the TV forum, but I am more interested in the car's being shown rather than passing too much judgement on the people stories...

I've been watching a new show recently called 'Restoration Garage', which to be quite frank, has put all the other shows I've seen in the shade.

I enjoy Fast 'n Loud, but they really do seems to be on the bottom end of quality workmanship and their style doesn't really do it for me (sticking billet wheels on everything). RR also has the business sense of an amoeba. Some of their 'modding' would make me nervous, cutting corners for a quick sell, other times overdoing it on an auction loser. I don't believe the prices quoted either - the F40 they butchered up, no ways that went for what they say it did. They do happen on some amazing finds though - the prototype Firebirds for example, what the?

Counting Cars I think seems like a little more legit in terms of workmanship and standard of builds; I don't like their constant need to pinstrip everything but they do turn out some nice stuff. The prices of builds seem a bit more believable, although they always come in under budget which is a bit convenient.

I tried Texas Car Wars but it was dire.

Restoration Garage was a revelation; they do some really interesting builds, and spend a lot of time flipping high value vintage cars. The prices they quote for restorations and mods seems way way more than the other two shows, which is interesting. Given the rebuilt a Bugatti Aerolithe from the ground up, they would appear to be more on the craftman side of the equation.

Anyway, interested to hear of any other shows (Wheeler Dealers!) or any particular builds you've liked in any shows.

I'm a fan of Wheeler Dealers.

There was also a series that ran recently called For The Love of Cars. It concentrated on British cars and ran for 6 episodes. The restoration jobs were amazing.

I watched Mark Evans' "Is Born" series back when it filled the car/bike/aircraft restoration slot on Discovery before Wheeler Dealers. Six of the ten vehicles he worked on were kit builds while the other four were restorations like the E-Type and MGB. Usually stretching out each build over 10 or 15 half-hour episodes with sufficient detail.

For The Love of Cars wasn't bad either. Though it focused more on the history and engineering of each car as well as meeting their respective enthusiasts rather than the actual restoration process.

I watched the Fat & Furious last night, it was almost entertaining. They turned a Ford Maverick into a SHELBY Maverick clone!

I like Wheeler Dealers and Chasing Classic Cars, but none of those shows where they take an old American car and make it stupid, like American Hot Rod.

Back