Car sounds :/

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
Okay i don't know what the deal is and hope it's not like this in the final game, but i've downloaded a few GT4: Prologue movies and in one of them a Subaru Legacy Stationwagon (new version) sounded just like the RUF RGT does in GT3, and the McLaren F1 GTR sounds like either the Toyota GT-One or the Jaguar XJ220. :(

I thought they were supposed to have recorded the proper sounds?

I hope they don't leave it like this for the final version because one thing that annoys me about GT3 is that when you go to put different mufflers on a car, let's use the TVR Griffith in this example, the sports version sounds like a Lotus Elise i think, the semi-race sounds like an Impreza or something and the race muffler is the same sound as some other car in the game. The original muffler sounds better than all of them!
It's not the only car with this problem either - most cars are in the game suffer from this.

I hope they don't 'shortcut' car sounds like they did in GT3. :grumpy:

Remeber that this version is only a Proluge. My guess is that they want this version of gran turismo to be the best, therefore they should get all the sounds working correctly. Hopefully.

Well, the Subaru and the Porsche both have boxer engines, so they should sound similar to each other. And all I know is that the engine and exhaust sounds are excellent and are one of the things that make this game so enjoyable. I can personally attest to the sound of the Integra Type R as that is what I drive IRL, it is spot on!

You should also listen to the actual game itself and not a downloaded movie as the sound is compressed and therefore missing some information.

The Elises K series is spot on, the RB26DETT sounds even better, viper at idle sounds gorgeous, the SL55 AMG you can really hear the supercharger whine at low rpms and the Arta NSX sounds awesomes at 10000 rpm.

Oh and the integra also sounds exactly like an integra should.

I knew that the Legacy's/Impreza's etc share the same sort of engine but i've heard plenty of them in real life (more than i can count) and none of them have sounded like the one in Arwin's video. :/

The Honda Integra Type R sounds really awesome in GT3 and with a Sports Muffler it sounds even better (at high revs). It's got the most km's out of any of the cars in my garage (3100 km's) mainly because i love listening to that exhaust note. :D

I'm not offering any excuses, but I think we may be stuck with most of the engine noises that we're currently hearing.

My theory is that some of the sound may end up distorted due to file compression or maybe improperly tuned audio systems.

I think that the sound of the motors is a little off, but only in the sense that it could use a lot more bass. When I'm in my car (a Mustang), I tend to feel and hear (about 50/50) engine noise. And in the case of my car, at the higher loads and RPMs, you tend to feel exhaust note more than hear it.

But then again, there is a noticable lack of accurate wind noise. Moreso if you enter a draft - I haven't heard a pitch change when entering a draft yet.

I agree that most of the imports of the 1 - 2 litre engine sizes sound very accurate, but for me, the test will be when I hear the finished version of all of the muscle cars. :)

I find the sound of the engine while you are speeding up, slowing down, upshifting, downshifting, skidding and drafting plays somewhat of a strong role in the game. Puts you into the game more, as if your actually driving the car.

I'm not talking about the "realism" factor so much, but the sheer feeling of slamming down a button/analog stick, and the video game answering back with not only the car picking up speed, but the correct sound of the engine roaring along with it. I find this is a strong factor that makes the game so appealing, along with techniques for going around the track with different cars.

It would definately help if they enhanced the sounds more, if possible.

Originally posted by jizzmirk

I agree that most of the imports of the 1 - 2 litre engine sizes sound very accurate, but for me, the test will be when I hear the finished version of all of the muscle cars. :)

Doesn't the ford GT share it's engine with one of those Ford pickup-mabobs?

Originally posted by Ford427
I find the sound of the engine while you are speeding up, slowing down, upshifting, downshifting, skidding and drafting plays somewhat of a strong role in the game. Puts you into the game more, as if your actually driving the car.

I'm not talking about the "realism" factor so much, but the sheer feeling of slamming down a button/analog stick, and the video game answering back with not only the car picking up speed, but the correct sound of the engine roaring along with it. I find this is a strong factor that makes the game so appealing, along with techniques for going around the track with different cars.

It would definately help if they enhanced the sounds more, if possible.

Yeah I agree, engine sounds in GT3 were so monotonous they sent me to sleep. Not joking either :lol:

GT: Ps sound better from what I've heard so far, although theres still plenty of room for improvement.

Originally posted by Race Idiot
Doesn't the ford GT share it's engine with one of those Ford pickup-mabobs?

Yeah - decided to watch the Top Gear bit about the Ford GT again. Yep, the 5.4L supercharged motor is lifted from the F-150 using the Triton 5.4L (but only a handful sport the supercharged setup). But AFAIK, the Triton doesn't put out 550 bhp. So I'm assuming that the supercharger and the intake system (heads, throttle body, injectors, plenum and MAF) are all high end components.

Originally posted by T5-R
Yeah I agree, engine sounds in GT3 were so monotonous they sent me to sleep. Not joking either :lol:

GT: Ps sound better from what I've heard so far, although theres still plenty of room for improvement.

Exactly! I'd start falling asleep while playing GT3 because the sounds literally put me to sleep. Sounds in GT4 are just delicious. Cars w/ massive horsepower sounds like they have massive power.

Originally posted by Mustang-man
I knew that the Legacy's/Impreza's etc share the same sort of engine but i've heard plenty of them in real life (more than i can count) and none of them have sounded like the one in Arwin's video. :/

The improvement of the car sounds are best noticed when using in car view. The sound you hear in the video I posted is from a camera far from the car. I'll make some hi fidelity recordings with my Audigy 2 tonight and post them as 192kb/s MP3s.

I decided to take the Ford GT out on Citta today (see if I can drive it like in one of the "attract demos") and started goofing around. At low RPMs, the GT sounds a like it does from the all the TV coverage.

My only problem is that I KNOW that thing's got some serious rumble to it. But I can catch it if it is there because my PS2 is only connected to the TV (no HiFi system). Has anyone got their PS2 setup connected to a proper audio setup with a powered subwoofer? I want to know if that car sounds better with a real audio system.

Yeah I got my system hooked up to the Z-2200 Logitech speakers and you can definitely hear/feel the rumble at low RPMs on some of the cars (seems to be the ones w/ tons of torque)

hmm, the subaru (stock) isn't so impressive as a Takata Nsx or a Celica tuning car... but like the mc laren, its a standard sound i guess i dont believe that that sound make it to the final version. When i had the license test in new york with a Nsx(takata) i was like :eek::eek: i like the sound :) maybe couse i'm started to play (Gt4P) yesterday.. the license's are easy btw :)
i like the "new"sound much.. i think its only getting better in the final Gt4. (and if its not, just like in Gt3 buy a muffler upgrade ;) but in gt3 indeed they sound like an other car it seems, not to be logical sometimes, i think that the final version has more improvements as the prologue, and thats logical, its gonna rock!! :D )
Greets

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like that a lot of the sounds in this game are already sweet! Can't wait to hear the power in a Chevelle rumblin down New Yorks highway, or a Subaru Impreza sliding around a corner at the Canyon. Gives me chills just thinkin about it :D

Originally posted by RacingFreak2k3
Can't wait to hear the power in a Chevelle rumblin down New Yorks highway
yeah or the Gto :) , i'm curious what the sound is of the muscle cars.. hopefully you can tune them also.. i hope so
grtz

I have my PS2 linked up to a proper HiFi with 2 subwoofers and cars do sound quite cool, but I only have GT3, not GT4:P and consequently, I feel i am missing out on some, if you will, 'tasty noises' :cool: So, can I ask, what is it that makes engine noises in GT4:P so much better than GT3, more realism? more bass tone? COuld somebody enlighten me on this?

Ok it's true when you hear some of the cars you think hmm sounds like GT3.. But...

when you listen closer,.. you will hear that GT4p sounds so much better then GT3..

even the sound when you stand still can be so cool :D
sometimes i just drive really slow just to hear the sound of some cars..

ok example i recorded this.. maybe you understand then :cool:

GT4Prologue Woodone Tom's Supra2 !!!

But be sure you have a Subwoofer .. for the low tones,.. and put it so loud you can't hear someone speak next to you :D (that’s what i do)

gr Max :)

Back