Car to car shifting and revving

Ireland
Ireland
Hey guys! New here and new to sim racing as a whole. Been playing GT Sport for about two months now and am learning fast (sitting on a comfortable DR. B SR. S) but still have much to learn.

So, my question;

How do I find out the best time to shift for a specific car? Z28 talks about knowing when to shift and stuff but i don’t know how to figure that out — I’ve been revving to the flashing light and shifting then. This is obviously completely wrong lol any help would be great!

Race your ghost side to side, try different shifting methods until you find the one that keeps up or is faser than the ghost.

Hey guys! New here and new to sim racing as a whole. Been playing GT Sport for about two months now and am learning fast (sitting on a comfortable DR. B SR. S) but still have much to learn.

So, my question;

How do I find out the best time to shift for a specific car? Z28 talks about knowing when to shift and stuff but i don’t know how to figure that out — I’ve been revving to the flashing light and shifting then. This is obviously completely wrong lol any help would be great!
look at the power graph in car settings :) many people shift too late in some cars, losing time like that, for example Corvette GT3

The optimal shifting point is determined by the shape of the power curve and the gaps between the gears.
Most engines will produce peak power close to the rpm limiter and will benefit from being taken all the way to the limiter.
Here is a typical power curve:

index.php

As you can see this engine produces close to peak power between 5000 and 6000 rpm.
There is a little bit of drop off the last 500 rpm but unless the gear ratios are very closely stacked the optimal shifting point will be 6500 rpm.

Here is an example of an engine that will benefit from an earlier upshift:

98562d1431866869-updated-dyno-sheet-run-yesterday-image002-3.jpg

As you can see the engine produces peak power around 7500 rpm but continues to rev all the way to 8700 rpm.
There is a drastic drop in power after 8000 rpm and revving this engine all the way to the limiter will result in less than ideal acceleration because the available power at the top end is relatively low.

Keeping the engine in the rpm range with the highest average power will always give the fastest acceleration assuming traction is not an issue.

Ideally you want to shift up when the power available in the next gear is higher than the power available in the current gear.

The optimal shifting point is determined by the shape of the power curve and the gaps between the gears.
Most engines will produce peak power close to the rpm limiter and will benefit from being taken all the way to the limiter.

index.php

As you can see this engine produces close to peak power between 5000 and 6000 rpm.
There is a little bit of drop off the last 500 rpm but unless the gear ratios are very closely stacked the optimal shifting point will be 6500 rpm.

As you can see the engine produces peak power around 7500 rpm but continues to rev all the way to 8700 rpm.
There is a drastic drop in power after 8000 rpm and revving this engine all the way to the limiter will result in less than ideal acceleration because the available power at the top end is relatively low.

Keeping the engine in the rpm range with the highest average power will always give the fastest acceleration assuming traction is not an issue.

Ideally you want to shift up when the power available in the next gear is higher than the power available in the current gear.

Oh man thank you! This has been exactly what I was looking for! I couldn’t find it anywhere. Kept getting told by practice to just practice to get faster and I was like “yes but there has to be a best point to shift!”

Thank you again

index.php

Dude thank you, as someone new to cars in general that made alot of sense and the graph helped immensely.

Back