Career Mode Getting Started Guide

• Thread starter Cosmos29
  • 9 comments
Canada
Canada
Been with the series since shortly after the release of GT1. Finished GT1 but didn't get all that far percentage wise with GT2. Would like to start over and give it another try. Looking for a helpful guide to career mode progression.

First, I would do all the license tests before anything else. Then go and buy a cheap car, but not a slow car like a demio ( my first was a celica rc '91 ). Then you can go from there.

The great thing about GT2 is, once you've got the licenses, there are a bunch of GREAT cars you can get as starter cars which with upgrades can go on and on. My best tip would be buy something like a Silvia or Nissan Sunny, or indeed the Celica RC '91, and run the Trial Mountain 30 Laps Endurance. The race takes about 45-50 minutes to complete, and unless you get the Lotus Elise 190 in the AI lineup, should be easy pickings for these starter cars - especially if you have money for sports tires. Even with the Elise, they are tough but beatable opponents, and most importantly, you are rewarded with 150,000 cr. and a JGTC Toyota Supra racecar for a prizecar, which when sold generates up to 750,000 cr.!

I also had a thread round here where I was trying to complete as much of the game as I could with my starter Nissan Sunny GTi-R, and at last count I had won 36 races in the game so far, achieved 27.39% completion, and had modded it to put racing modifications onto it. And the car was originally bought for 3,000 cr!

I agree with what both of these guys have said, do the license tests first, but I would at least try to gold all of the b license test first, and get the S2000 for free, and then do the trial mountain endurance race. I'm glad to see somebody out there is still playing GT2! Now I'm kinda motivated to put down Forza Horizon 2 and pick up GT2 for a little bit.

You might as well gold everything if you can (especially the S licenses- that gives a Toyota TS020 GT-ONE) and I also second the 30 lap endurance. I wound up golding everything before I started playing on my new save, and it made the game 1,000 times easier because I had that GT One on hand. That would allow you to quickly make money because you'd have one of the most powerful race cars in the game right off the bat and access to almost every event in the game.

Do NOT try to gold the licenses first thing! That's a challenge best taken up only after you've pretty much mastered/beaten everything else. And the S2000 you would get is not really a very good car (its engine is broken...) Do complete all the license tests first, though. It'll do its job and get you comfortable with handling.

Also I don't think I'd start with an endurance race, either, if you're looking for fast money there are much better ways to get it. But money isn't really something you need to worry about if you just want to enjoy completing the game in career mode.

The only real obstacle to winning all the races is boredom - almost every event can be an easy win by using a better car than the AI. After a few hours of easy wins, you get bored and go play something else. To prevent this, try to use a car that falls behind off the line at the start. Catch up in the corners, and take the lead on the last lap if you're good. If you can take the lead on the 1st lap, the car you're using is probably overpowered and/or has better tires+suspension.

Use this GT2 racing guide Parnelli Bones put together to make it easier to know whether a car is good for a race, or if it's over or under powered/tuned.

Endurance races and rally events are optional in my opinion...

And if you really want fast money, get a Silvia K's, tune it up, go to the 80's sports cars event at Tahiti, win the Skyline R30 race car, take that to All Stars at Red Rock, win a Speed 12.

It's so funny how simple that racing guide was back then. Only one or two ratios per most races. It's because GT2 rubber-bands heavily.

I need to give my guide a makeover. Make it easier to use, if possible. I'm glad to know it still works for you Jeff, especially after all this time. Does it actually work with kilograms?

I'd tweaked it a bit, but sadly I had irrecoverable data loss and all my spreadsheets of GT2 stuff are forever gone... so I can't say specifically how I tweaked it. But as you say, rubber band makes up for a lot, you just have to get close to the right hp. And it works for kg, just divide by 2.2. Just as important as the right hp is the right tires and to a somewhat lesser extent but still important suspension, which your guide also includes.

That's great to know it still works, at least! Sucks that you lost that data. :( I know how that is, believe me.

The later games (GT4 and 5, anyways) arguably don't feature rubber-banding, not like GT2 does. GT6 has some rubber-banding, but it's supposed to be the drivers driving more conservatively, if they get a strong lead.

In GT2, the actual handling of the car can become more or less grippy, depending on if you're ahead of them, or not. That's what I've heard, anyways, and I do seem to remember some races which (let's say) featured cars wiping out in Lap 2 at Laguna Seca, me getting way ahead of them, yet by the middle of (let's say) Lap 3, they've all caught up again. In any event, that's one of the things I liked about GT2: the fact that sometimes, multiple cars will be ganging up on us as we're groping towards those turns, and it's up to us to figure out a way to out-maneuver them. :) And also how there's rarely a dull moment, assuming you challenge yourself.

Well how are you doing, OP? I'd like to know if you're liking this game, in comparison to the first one, especially.

All licences first, gold or not, get car that has either low weight or moderate power, slowly work your way to tuning it to be able to take on muscle cars, do Seattle Circuit, win $8K plus 1967 Shelby Cobra (Sell or tune), work up until potential racers are bought/tuned. Then race in either of the following for good $$$ or Prizes: Grand Touring Cars - Midfield, Turbo Speciality - Any, All Stars - Super Speedway(Mine's Evo VI is prize...)/Red Rock Valley(WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT IN GT6!! and you win a Speed 12 worth $500k)/Rome Circuit(win TK ZZII or Hype Japanese), Trial Mountain Enduro (win Denso-Sard Supra), GT League - All, '80s Sportscars - Tahiti Road, and Finally the Super GT500 Championship or World GT Final event. If you earn the Super License you can then use the Event Synthesizer at any difficulty you wish with $10K being the highest and $4K being the lowest (it's basically a quick race with a randomly chosen course and opponents at your selected difficulty).

Currently, I still play this on my PS3, sitting on $20 Mil. with all of my favorite cars I could want and tuned to my liking (No drift or drags cars, only true Grand Tourers...), and good luck to whomever is reading this.

Back