Career mode vs custom championship

• Thread starter Ripper83
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ripper83
The much hoped for custom championship mode for offline ended up being too difficult to implement in PC1.

If my understanding is correct it is not really on the table in PC2 as it's deemed the career mode is far deeper so this will form the centre of offline play.

Now some time has passed and people have dived deeper into the career mode, is anyone else feeling somewhat disappointed?

None of the championships are very long (8 races max?) and the track selection on most calendars seem very uninspired (all those great UK tracks why not use them for a touring car season for example or the classic tracks which could be used for classic cars).

I know a custom championship will almost certainly never come and I could live with that if the career mode really was engrossing and you could get your teeth into the seasons but these regional ones which then unlock another one with a couple more races are just not as interesting and don't really replicate real life.

Can't help but feel somewhat let down in how the game has not moved on in this department in relation to PC1 or lived up to the promise of a greater career mode experience.

If they implement online championships, surely they could do single player championships?

I agree, if the AI gets polished up, a custom championship for offline play is more interesting to me than the career mode.

I'd love to be able to make a classic touring car series using the classic and/or unaltered tracks, or a multiclass Vintage Prototype and Vintage GTA championship, stuff like that.

Pick specific conditions for each race, like start times, race length, weather, etc.

Me too, I'm loving the touring cars but the championship on career mode is just a bit of a damp squib. Ideally I'd love to see a calendar of:

Silverstone national
Brands Indy
Donington national
Oulton park
Snetterton 200/300
Knockhill
Brands Gp
Silverstone GP

If this were on there it would really utilise the touring cars much better

I don't know what access SMS had to the calendar of each series, but this would also be sweet to implement.

The real 24h Touring Car series schedule. We have all the tracks too.

24H DUBAI 201811-12-13 January 2018
track_silverstone_white.png
24H SILVERSTONE 20189-10-11 March 2018
track_imola_white.png
12H IMOLA 201824-25-26 May 2018
track_portimao_white.png
24H PORTIMAO 20186-7-8 July 2018
track_barcelona_white.png
24H BARCELONA 20187-8-9 September 2018
track_spa_white.png
12H SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS 201812-13-14 October 2018
track_circuit-of-the-americas_white.png
24H COTA USA 201816-17-18 November 2018

I really want to do a Group A series, using tracks like

-Bathurst
-Sugo
-Classic Hockenheim
-Rouen les Essart short
-Brands Hatch GP
-Classic Monza GP
-Watkins Glen
-Road America
-Leguna Seca

Not ironed out, but something like that.

I'd also like to be able to make a championship in the same vein as Aussie Supercars. Each round has a slightly different format, ranging from endurance races, to reverse grid sprint races,etc.

The career is a tad disappointing. I was hoping for some more variety in track selection as well as longer races in the early tiers.

I haven't gotten to the top tiers yet, but the lower level races are rather short even if the real life counterparts compete in endurance races.

At least we can set these things up in single races, but a whole custom championship would be awesome.

I've explored all the championships now to see what they offer and can't help but feel little thought has been put into the calendars for each series e.g. Tracks that series would never race on.

A season should be a minimum of 10 races really to experience a true arc of a season

I agree career mode seems disappointly shallow...

Why cant the Clio cup have a sprint race and main race?? And mandatory pit stops?

The much hoped for custom championship mode for offline ended up being too difficult to implement in PC1.

If my understanding is correct it is not really on the table in PC2 as it's deemed the career mode is far deeper so this will form the centre of offline play.

Now some time has passed and people have dived deeper into the career mode, is anyone else feeling somewhat disappointed?

None of the championships are very long (8 races max?) and the track selection on most calendars seem very uninspired (all those great UK tracks why not use them for a touring car season for example or the classic tracks which could be used for classic cars).

I know a custom championship will almost certainly never come and I could live with that if the career mode really was engrossing and you could get your teeth into the seasons but these regional ones which then unlock another one with a couple more races are just not as interesting and don't really replicate real life.

Can't help but feel somewhat let down in how the game has not moved on in this department in relation to PC1 or lived up to the promise of a greater career mode experience.

Im not sure how the career mode is 'far deeper' this time....seems exactly the same as the first? Really disappointing..

Does it get deeper in the higher tiers?

I want to see rivalries formed with certain drivers/teams...but you dont get any of that.

A different championship and its a totally new set of AI names and the series are too short. Exactly the same issue i had with Pcars1.

Thank god for F12017 career mode!

I can't understand how this would be difficult to implement. It seems like all it would take would be to link the custom race setup to the points systems used in the career mode. Obviously it's more complicated than that but I can't believe it was overlooked again.

Well it was and I recall the reasoning being that the career mode was such that custom championships would not be necessary.

Having explored all the tiers of career mode now, in this area the game has well and truly failed to deliver on this.

Back