• 13 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
Finally bit the bullet and bought this car today, and I'm glad I did. I now hold the X-Class hardcore record @ Le Mans (Old Mulsanne) at daytime and night time - although there's only 2 of us who managed a night lap :lol: (10 hardcore times in the day), but I digress...

The problem is I would absolutely smash my records if I could keep the car in working order; no matter what I do, the engine very quickly becomes damaged and the car is only good for 2 or 3 laps before I have to restart (which knocks me off my rhythm). I'm doing 218mph on Mulsanne on lap one, 214mph on lap two, 210-ish on lap three, and so on.

Is it my clutch work? The transmission itself doesn't get damaged, it clearly says engine damage [insert various %]. Or am I shifting too early? Too late? I can't quite figure out why the engine is deteriorating and I am loathe to turn on any assists. I happily admit that I'm not as fast as the true aliens, but I can "beat them" hardcore and that's good enough for me :mischievous:

Any advice on how to keep this monstrous car in tip top condition greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Is it my clutch work?
Any advice on how to keep this monstrous car in tip top condition greatly appreciated.

Hi, I don't own the car but I think you could set gearbox to auto and see if the engine gets damaged...
The only time I got engine damage was a mistake downshift at speed to high fot the gear...

BR

Hi, I don't own the car but I think you could set gearbox to auto and see if the engine gets damaged...
The only time I got engine damage was a mistake downshift at speed to high fot the gear...

BR

That's such a simple idea how did it not cross my mind :lol:

I'll try it out later and see how it goes.

Yeah it is my clutch work. I set the car to automatic clutch and was not suffering any damage (certainly not within a few laps), and to be honest that really annoys me. I absolutely refuse to drive anything other than hardcore but the Renault F1 has 8 gears and gets through them SO fast :scared: and even the slightest mistiming of a shift damages the car slightly and gradually reduces speed.

I'm trying to practice using the A button on the steering wheel as a clutch (as happens in the real life F1 cars) but I get to a point where I get confused and end up shifting all over the place and spinning out :lol:
My times with this driving style are a few seconds off those set with a pedal clutch and I'd probably be better simply using that and practicing it. Still, as things stand I do hold several hardcore records in X-Class (especially in the rain) so it's not all bad :gtpflag:

IMG_20190101_163706.jpg

I absolutely refuse to drive anything other than hardcore but the Renault F1 has 8 gears and gets through them SO fast :scared: and even the slightest mistiming of a shift damages the car slightly and gradually reduces speed.

I'm trying to practice using the A button on the steering wheel as a clutch (as happens in the real life F1 cars) but I get to a point where I get confused and end up shifting all over the place and spinning out :lol:

Real F1 cars use the clutch for the start and then it's automatically controlled once they're rolling as far as I'm aware. It's one of the few situations where the auto-clutch assist is actually more realistic.

I can't imagine that manually shifting an F1 car is a whole lot of fun. They're really, really, really not designed for it. If it floats your boat, then cool, but I'd be seriously looking at just sticking with the auto-clutch option and driving the car as it was intended to be driven.

Real F1 cars use the clutch for the start and then it's automatically controlled once they're rolling as far as I'm aware. It's one of the few situations where the auto-clutch assist is actually more realistic.

I can't imagine that manually shifting an F1 car is a whole lot of fun. They're really, really, really not designed for it. If it floats your boat, then cool, but I'd be seriously looking at just sticking with the auto-clutch option and driving the car as it was intended to be driven.

Oh I wasn't aware of this.
I'm still going to drive it hardcore though because especially in X-Class leaderboards it looks cool when there's all these times with multiple assists on and mine is there completely "clean" :mischievous:

Plus as I said earlier I doubt I would get near the genuine top times if I turn assists on, so hardcore gives me a way to feel like I'm acheiving something :D

Most modern racecars use "clutchless" sequential gearboxes and it's probably my biggest gripe with Forza in general that using the manual clutch yields better results...

Same with my car in real life (Audi RS4). It is a semi-automatic paddle shifter that changes gears lightning quick. I cannot imagine for one second being faster through the gears if the car was fully manual.

Most modern racecars use "clutchless" sequential gearboxes and it's probably my biggest gripe with Forza in general that using the manual clutch yields better results...
Dan Greenawalt said before that Manual/Clutch has an advantage built into it in order to reward players for developing the habit of pressing the extra button while shifting.

If it's like previous Forza's then there is nothing to gain by using a clutch with cars that already shift quickly.

If it's like previous Forza's then there is nothing to gain by using a clutch with cars that already shift quickly.
From my experience, always using manual/clutch will produce an advantage, no matter the car. That is, as long as you've got it down.

The same goes if you an online racer, use full sim damage offline it will carry over into the lobbys, if you only use cosmetic you will only get cosmetic damage in the hoppers :)

EDIT: Both sim and normal steering goes on hardcore leaderboard too, you can also have the track limit gloving blue cones on and still get your hardcore time :)

Last edited:
Back