Cars are programed to be slower in races?

China
Hong Kong
I recently found that some cars are around 1.5 secs slower per lap in GT World Cup Race than in Time Trial with the same track. This can be seen so obviously in T. Mountain and Grand Valley Speedway. Does anybody have this experience and know the reason why? I hope I can get an answer from you. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. This would have to be investigated a little. Since you mention Time trial, i'm guessing your own cars, not the AI? If so, could you give me an example of car that would be slower in that championship? So that I can check myself.
Also what version of the game you're playing on? USA, PAL, JP?

There shouldn't be any differences except with Arcade mode, but this is making me curious.

There shouldn't be any differences except with Arcade mode, but this is making me curious.

When I last tested the game, the NTSC/US V1.1 are pretty fast compared to the PAL and Japan regions in GT1, which is strange, but GT1 JP is pretty much the simulation was about perfect.

I know that in the lower levels the AI is almost never as quick in the race as they are qualifying, as I've been 10 seconds off pole with a respectable time, then proceeded to beat most of the field back to the stripe in a time close to, if not better than, my qualifying time.

I think the times are more representative of the AI on a flying lap, or at least that's what I've chalked it up as, so maybe a programming error or maybe done purposely to start the player at the rear of the field early in the game. I don't know.

All in simulation mode as well.

I've tried both JP & US versions. They have the same problem with the RX7 A-spec, '92 NSX-R and all Nissan non-turbo rare-wheel-drive models. All cars are fully modified and hybrided the hp, vehicle weight, lower suspension and 7-speed gearbox.

The purpose of going to TT first is to set my cars up then participate the GT World Cup Races. It is so easy to find out the different time/speed in the same track when you use autopilot which is what I'm using.

Well for the qualifying times, it's a simulation of times. they don't take the game's physics into account. I have no idea how they managed that, but they're never representative of how the car's gonna perform.
It's most flagrant on the Megaspeed cup, where the MR2 GTS can beat other cars on Test Course of all places (against a GTO Twin Turbo that goes 1.5 times faster than it).

@michaelchan21 okay so you're running hybrids with the auto pilot codes and you're gettign different times... hmm. The physics really should be different, do you usually start the championship races in 1st pace (by qualifying)? That would remove 1 to 2 seconds off your first lap. But then not on the following laps. Does the ai block you a little. That'll quickly add time too. Otherwise it might just be RNG with the game's physics.

@JakeMR2 PAL and NTSC USA have the rubberband effect applied to the player, adding a gigantic boost to grip, speed, etc. JP keeps it real (and also lacks the jumps on certain tracks).

Once again (because you may have seen this wherever I have posted it before), I showed that in this video:

submaniac93 to start in the first place is a must if you want to have a faster result. But if you don't start in the first place, you'll always overtake your opponents after the first lap. So you can still find that your speed is slower in the second and third laps.

Take Grand Valley as an example. The speed going uphill is 286 kmh after the second left hander. Then after the downhill hairpin you'll go up again. At the top you'll have to make a left and the speed should be around 173 kmh. After going through the tunnel, there are two corners one left then one right. The highest speed should be 143 kmh. After the short straight you are in another tunnel with a very long right hander. The speed there should be 190 kmh.

I can read the speed much more easily since I use autopilot. That's the TT speeds but during the Race you 'll have to deduct 10 kmh from all of them. This cuts out around 1.5 secs on each lap. It seems this phenomenon only appears in tracks like T Mount, Grand Valley and SS R5 only.

Last edited:
Huh. Interesting. I've never fiddled with auto pilot on GT so that's all news to me. I'll have to find a way to test it on pal :P

Last edited:
Back