Cars faster in race than practice? How?

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I don't get what is going on here. I was just messing around with setup for a new car and I found it was 10mph faster in the straights in the race than practice.

I changed NOTHING on the setup between practicing and the race. (One of those lobbies where the host randomly started the race and it was bhp limited).

The wind was 0.2m/s more and it looked warmer (you can never tell because the track temperature feature isn't working.) but these shouldn't make that much difference, by far. Corner exists were about the same.

I don't get it. Is this a bug?

Video explanation/proof.

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but maybe in practice mode, the game uses a full tank (opposite of doing qualifying laps) and in the race you were considered on empty in terms of weight as fuel consumption was disabled?

This is just a guess, but maybe in practice mode, the game uses a full tank (opposite of doing qualifying laps) and in the race you were considered on empty in terms of weight as fuel consumption was disabled?
This was my first guess (and the only one for that matter) :lol:

I just don't see why practice would emulate a higher load when fuel is disabled either way.

With me happens the opposite at la sarthe.
Some times i made some laps to set a car but in race am always slower .
Definitely at the race who need refuel the laps are faster when the tank is lighter but 10 miles difference is way too much.
Perhaps there's a bug in a certain race with a certain car .
Whatever it is there's no reasonable explanation of so many loss ..... except if the race you're on is under Bop conditions and that explains everything.

The speedometer is different between the two videos, almost certainly meaning that there are different tuning parts fitted between them as it's scaled by some logic based on the car's estimated capabilities.

The speedometer is different between the two videos, almost certainly meaning that there are different tuning parts fitted between them as it's scaled by some logic based on the car's estimated capabilities.

Oh well spotted. I didn't see that before.

There was no setup change from me. However, I did exit back to the pits and watched for a minute. Then the race started. Someone else was telling me something happens with switching setups when you exit out (red X) Inbetween starting a race. Anyone know anything about that?

Check the status of your oil. I’ve noticed (in the Suzuki pikes peak at least) that, counterintuitively, my top speed goes UP when my oil degrades from “excellent” to “normal”. Practice might not take oil condition into account.

Last edited:
Mystery solved. Someone was commenting on my yt video.

Basically car setup only changes when you have not already entered the race. If you enter and then make changes, they don't come into effect until you red x out and then re-enter.

The only reason I haven't noticed before is because I'm always detuning a car to meet PP, not uptuning it. So normally I can't enter the race with it over the PP and detuning it meant I didn't have to hit the red x.

Maddening!

Back