cars have to be upgraded just to win races????

  • Thread starter Thread starter andyweir88
  • 24 comments
  • 2,389 views
Messages
26
Messages
andy1weir
Hiya guys lookng for a bit of help here, ok well basically I've not long started gt5 played all the other ones as well however, it seems to me that even in the amateur races you have to spend whatever funds you have just to win the races...... so I'm in a bit of a loop, I win money but then have to spend it straight away for next cup / championship. Is this normal at the begining of the game???
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty pathetic isn't it? Identical AI cars seems to have more power to start with, so you're right, you have to upgrade. Then after investing 150k in a car just to win one race, you get 11k if you sell it. I personally wish the cars were more closely matched. Just wait, it doesn't get much better. I ran a couple of GT races that had LMP cars thrown in for some reason. The worst part is that the opponents are chosen RANDOMLY. I restarted one race several times to check the opponents, the LMP cars varied from 1 to 3. That is hardly fair. One player might have to race 3 LMP cars and another might race against crappy cars? Makes no sense.
 
I've barely modifed anything. Most of my road cars are stock, but some of them do have a set of sports softs on, while racing cars get racing softs. Off the top of my head, the only cars I've modified with power (except ones used in the seasonal events) were the Yaris, Racing '70 Dodge Challenger and the F430 Scuderia.

I do believe that if you modify your cars fully, then the game will make the opposition harder too.


Here's a thread with videos of some of my races.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133393
 
I found with some of the one-make races (Mini challenge, vitz race) you have to upgrade the cars significantly in order to win. I was able to win the gallardo trophy and the nr-a roadster cup without upgrading, but as soon as I have to do any of these races in B-spec I have to fully upgrade the car to even stand a chance, is it just me or is the B-spec driuver totally worthless unless you give it a car that has 200bhp+ more than the opposition? (mine still has trouble staying in first using a car with that much extra power :grumpy: )
 
All my cars are basically bone stock excluding m ZR1 which I did race mod cause I needed a race car, and my 69 Z28 which I race modded and upgraded everything just to keep up in the Historic race car cup since I didn't have anything else to run it with.

Also I had to buy and mod some cars to do the seasonal races, but they are near impossible stock.

Otherwise you do not need to mod your cars at all to win in this game. Hows your driving? I don't mean to be rude here but maybe you are over driving the cars and losing time. You should maybe try to practice some techniques a bit, try the licenses for a while and watch the demonstrations they have, they are very good and can get you on the right path. Also always use the best tires they allow, the tires can make a huge difference. Most cars come with crappy comfort tires, and some better ones with sport hard tires, for the early races upgrade your tires to at least Sport Softs they will definitely help.

Good Luck.
 
I just completed the Amateur Hall and outside of a couple cases where I had to spend a little cash, I can't say that I've had that problem. Many of the races that I've won have been with stock or nearly stock vehicles. You just have to pick the right car to start with.

IMO, GT4 was a much worse offender of this sort of thing; the Opel Speedster and Renault Cilo races, the Tuning Car GP, etc.

And yes, the B-Spec Drivers are pretty worthless early on. I tried to give my guy the Buick Special for the Classic Car Race and he must have outright crashed at least a half dozen times on the Eiger Short Track. :lol:
 
If you play the game properly you dont need to buy that many cars to compete, so even if you max them out you still profit quite well.
 
I've only had to upgrade a few cars for races, and those were mostly limited-make races where, for whatever reason, the AI cars were significantly faster than me. I think it was the lightweight cup, they all had about 20hp more than me, and I'd drop back by 3-4 places before the first turn. The only other way to win would have been to spend days dredging through the used car lot until I found a usable car that was at least equivalent to the AI.

I've also had to upgrade cars for Bob. He'll come in 5th place in a car that I used to win the same race by half a lap.

For me, it depends on how aggressive the AI is driving. Most of the time, I can usually win with an equivalent car because I do a lot of late braking and things like that to get ahead.
 
Otherwise you do not need to mod your cars at all to win in this game. Hows your driving? I don't mean to be rude here but maybe you are over driving the cars and losing time.

Good Luck.


i dont think its my driving , the problem seems to be getting off the starting line as by the time i hit the first corner im in second last place
 
I don't see much need to upgrade in order to win and even if that were the case a simple oil change and a set of tires is all that would be needed.

When driving identical cars the AI is always slower than a decent human driver. They take the corners to slow and are normally easy to beat.
 
i dont think its my driving , the problem seems to be getting off the starting line as by the time i hit the first corner im in second last place

What tires are you running? (if everyones is on sports and youre on comforts youre dead)

Also Brake late in the first corner you may bump a few opponents, but they always brake early, you can usually shoot by and pick up some spots.
 
yeah, especially in the B-Spec races. my old B-Spec driver could barely win the sunday cup when i put him in my Chromeline Lambo.
 
If you play the game properly you dont need to buy that many cars to compete, so even if you max them out you still profit quite well.

I agree, I think that careful consideration of cars is really important. I haven't bought too many at all, really, and most of the cars in my garage are prize cars. There were a few I simply had to have for "collector" reasons (hello, my pretty RX8, how'd you get out of my driveway and into this game?), but there really are only a couple that I race with regularly, so dumping cash on tuning those is pretty cost effective. That Cobra can compete in a lot of races, and tuned up can win most of them fairly easily.
 
I'm gonna try Mazda Tsukuba 4 Hours in an unmodified premium MX5, only thing I'm adding is Hard Racing Tyres...
 
Hiya guys lookng for a bit of help here, ok well basically I've not long started gt5 played all the other ones as well however, it seems to me that even in the amateur races you have to spend whatever funds you have just to win the races...... so I'm in a bit of a loop, I win money but then have to spend it straight away for next cup / championship. Is this normal at the begining of the game???

Im not wanting to say im the best in the world. Im far from it. However I underpower myself in most of the early races. If you use equal cars you can mostly beat the AI easily in the beginner rooms. If your not winning first time out. Dont go and spend a load of money on your car. TRY AGAIN. I dont wanna sound patronising but this way you will soon improve your skill, find faster better lines (turn off the racing line it was drawn by a 5YO with a crayon) and will learn how and where to overtake on each track.

If your still towing for the win do small upgrades. Too many people loose a race then go mad on the car. This has the effect of "monstering" the game. Many people do this then complain that the AI is useless (which it is but its even more useless when you have a 100bhp advantage). They then complain that they have to do the grind. If you keep honing your skills by trying to win competative races you keep gaining XP. Then you have less to do later on....:)
 
So far I've had good luck with doing the ECU tune, stage 1 engine tune, and intake/exhaust on most cars, along with using the best tire I can per the restrictions for the race (usually Sport/Hard for the first couple of tiers).
 
Up to Professional Hall now. Have hardly had to modify anything except my Focus RS.




At just 212 bhp, I kept getting left for dead by Corvettes at Daytona in the Muscle Car Championship.






Most of the one-makes are a breeze. The Mini Cup can be won in either of the S's. The AI brakes way too early into the roundabouts. My first time out on Madrid and I beat the challenge after a few runs to learn the track. The Lupo Cup was disappointing... bone stock Cup car and I beat the field by over a minute. The Yaris cup... I tried with the 1.3, but it's impossible without resorting to better tires... the Turbos have too much of a straightline advantage. With a stock Turbo, it'd be too easy, though... I'm waiting for a 1.5 to come up for sale.
 
the strategy i have used in GT5 is to buy one of the cars listed as "a usual opponent", my favorite car in the list; and slowly upgrade it if i keep losing. like buy the chip, then the double clutch, then the racing flywheel, then the racing air filter etc etc. little step by little step so that the game is still a good challenge but i dont have to race 50times just to get a win. buying a new car for every race is somewhat expensive so i tried to use one car as much as possible, my 91 miata. but honestly most of the time the CPU chip and the racing air filter are more than enough.
what "thedeester1" is basically what i have done and havent had to grind to get to lvl30 or for money...
 
I supercharged a Yaris for the Yaris race in the Beginner Hall and fitted soft race tyres to the XJ13 for the Historic tournament in the Expert Hall but that's about it except for the online events, most of which need some tuning. I try very hard to do events stock if at all possible. The AI makes this possible by not being good enough to offer a good race most of the time.
 
The Vitz Race was ridiculous! Even when modded, I was getting eaten on the straights by everything.
 
I don't think you have to upgrade your car all the way to win in A-Spec, but on B-Spec, that's a whole different story. Bob is getting smoked by Elises and he is driving the McLaren Stealth!
 
One thing that will alleviate a lot of this is look at the competition and then buy a car near the specs of the top of the pack.

You will be competitive out of the games in most cases.

Get the cheap upgradeds, air filter, cat, ECU tune and some tires (sport soft is a good cheap tire) as they help with acceleration braking and cornering.

If this doens't do it for you, look into turbos.

I think I passsed the entire first set of events with nothing more than those upgrades and often much less.
 
The Vitz Race was ridiculous! Even when modded, I was getting eaten on the straights by everything.

I got the Vitz RS Turbo (or something like that) and while it was tough, Even my B-Spec Bob beat it with that car eventually.
 
ok guys thanks for all the input , gonna go and try some of your tips,, also this is one great forum !!!
 
the strategy i have used in GT5 is to buy one of the cars listed as "a usual opponent", my favorite car in the list; and slowly upgrade it if i keep losing. like buy the chip, then the double clutch, then the racing flywheel, then the racing air filter etc etc. little step by little step so that the game is still a good challenge but i dont have to race 50times just to get a win.

Yep this is how I play as well. I also refer to B-Spec as a gauge for what tires you should limit yourself to.
 
Back