Cars setups!!! Where to find them... and... Help on doin it!!!

• Thread starter Mirror_man
  • 48 comments
I finally made a fast and stable setup for the 991 GT3 R (2019). I can finally now sit down and learn the new (to me) tracks and THEN I can try tackling the career mode.

Just to give a sort of baseline of improvement, I was using the safe setup initially @ Zolder and could sometimes break into the 1:33s. Now I am knocking on 1:31's door. I tend to spin out using the default aggressive setups : /

Porsche 991 GT3 R (2019)

Jerome

I finally made a fast and stable setup for the 991 GT3 R (2019). I can finally now sit down and learn the new (to me) tracks and THEN I can try tackling the career mode.

Just to give a sort of baseline of improvement, I was using the safe setup initially @ Zolder and could sometimes break into the 1:33s. Now I am knocking on 1:31's door. I tend to spin out using the default aggressive setups : /

Porsche 991 GT3 R (2019)

Jerome

You sure about your right rear tyre pressure at 56psi? :boggled:

Jerome.. for the Porsche the correct Sens and Steeering Lock (regarding Console Version) is 800 not 1080...

I have it set to 1080 and it feels perfect to me :confused:

Jerome

I have it set to 1080 and it feels perfect to me :confused:

Jerome
If you go into cockpit view the in game wheel won't match 1:1 with a gaming wheel unless it's at 800.
You should see it's slightly out at 1080. This value needs adjusting per car at the mo.

If you go into cockpit view the in game wheel won't match 1:1 with a gaming wheel unless it's at 800.
You should see it's slightly out at 1080. This value needs adjusting per car at the mo.

Ah, I see. Well I use the hood cam, so I don't even see the wheel.

Jerome

Ah, I see. Well I use the hood cam, so I don't even see the wheel.

Jerome
Fair enough. I use dashboard so don't see it either but I figured the cars don't handle as intended if the wheels don't match. I've noticed some handle nicer with an incorrect DOR value, but I always set it correctly anyway.

I’ve been working on building my consistency at versions tracks, using the GT3R II.

For me, rake has the single biggest impact on how the Porsche handles... raise the rear to get more entry rotation, lower it to reduce.

Some of the stock aggressive set ups are VERY oversteery on corner entry!

When combined with brake bias (needs to be more rear than stock), and trail braking, I’ve found both more speed and more consistency.

I’ve been working on building my consistency at versions tracks, using the GT3R II.

For me, rake has the single biggest impact on how the Porsche handles... raise the rear to get more entry rotation, lower it to reduce.

When combined with brake bias (needs to be more rear than stock), and trail braking, I’ve found both more speed and more consistency.
Saw one of Aris' setup videos and he mentioned the first 2 things to tune were tyre temps and ride height. Normally i would go to the wings or roll bars before ride height but in ACC it actually makes sense. Rear ends can be stabilised quite effectively using ride height adjustments in ACC.

We live and learn

I'm glad I'm not alone with the aggressive setups. Super oversteery; undrivable in the Porsche. It's probably fine for most other cars, but thats why I picked the Porsche, I thought it'd have the hardest learning curve, or at least one of them.

This just might be the best racing game I've ever played and I've only done a couple test races and some hotlaps! :drool: I'm in hog heaven, it's easily the best sim I'v ever played. If only it had more tracks and cars, but I understand why it is the way it is.

Jerome

I recognise the opening shot very well :lol:

There’s a certain type of corner that the Porsche just loves to drift through... typically medium/high speed with an off throttle entry... touch too much entry speed or steering angle and you get that long slow slide. It can be quite good fun if you’ve haven’t got the TC set too high... get back on the gas and hold the angle... but it just destroys its tyres like that :lol:

I recognise the opening shot very well :lol:

There’s a certain type of corner that the Porsche just loves to drift through... typically medium/high speed with an off throttle entry... touch too much entry speed or steering angle and you get that long slow slide. It can be quite good fun if you’ve haven’t got the TC set too high... get back on the gas and hold the angle... but it just destroys its tyres like that :lol:

Yes it's great fun mate, the worst turn I've found is 3rd to last on Laguna it's hard work round there :lol: I found keeping half throttle helped.

I do enjoy sliding it about a bit, but yeah try not to in race mode :lol:

Yes it's great fun mate, the worst turn I've found is 3rd to last on Laguna it's hard work round there :lol: I found keeping half throttle helped.

I do enjoy sliding it about a bit, but yeah try not to in race mode :lol:

Most of the 1st sector at Zolder is a drift fest for me. The right at the top of the hill at Barcelona too :D

Having a bit of throttle on definitely helps... such a great car to drive.

Indeed. People would pay to have their arses wiped nowadays if someone offered it...

Still, shame on him for charging for setups. Sorry, it’s the last I’ll say about it as the morals of charging for setups isn’t what the thread is about, but if I were him, I’d use my position to help for free. I mean if you’re paying for a setup that X amount of people have also paid for, where’s the advantage?...
Chris Haye has a video on this topic:

For the record I don't have any strong opinions either way.
I would not pay for a setup myself I think. Or maybe just one of those made by Dave's team out of curiosity to see if it makes a difference. I'd be careful making it a morality issue though.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or if it's even considered a thing:

I gave up on setups after I lost months' of work due to the December update (PC). They all felt and drove terribly. My theory is that as the physics engine is tweaked, previous parameter choices become irrelevant.

I've reverted to the aggressive presets and am quite-happy with them. I'm not going to chase my tail for a paltry lap time reward with the "guarantee" of their being nerfed with another update.

Last edited:
Back