Cars that don’t have a manual clutch IRL...

• Thread starter RikkiGT-R
  • 4 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
Have PD made this part of the game?

I set up my TH8A shifter earlier and it was a joy to use; I took an MX-5 around Dragon Tail to practice, and once I was comfortable I changed to the SLS AMG, but the clutch pedal wasn’t working - much to my annoyance.

Sadly I had to switch off because I’ve things to do, but made plans to look at it later and see what was wrong. But I’m standing here thinking that the MX-5 is fully manual, but the SLS is surely a semi-auto paddle shifter in real life. So maybe PD simply haven’t given it a manual clutch in-game to be true to life?

I’m really hoping this is the case, can someone confirm? Otherwise I have an annoying issue where I’m going to have to continually reset the game or fiddle around to get it to recognize my clutch pedal :banghead:

I would check myself with different cars but I’m AFG now.

The Clutch/shifter only work properly with H pattern manual cars, it won’t even work if you put custom gears in a manual car because it switches the car to sequential gears unfortunately. Can still use the shifter with those cars, just not the clutch. :)

The Clutch/shifter only work properly with H pattern manual cars, it won’t even work if you put custom gears in a manual car because it switches the car to sequential gears unfortunately. Can still use the shifter with those cars, just not the clutch. :)

Thank you!
I don’t mind that, because at least I know my setup is working properly :lol:
I can enjoy the game now.

I remotely remember there was a whole debate about this issue a while back...

So if I get it straight
The clutch is only applicable on road cars that have H pattern manual gear box IRL.

...in my case, I finally was able to hook up my H pattern G29 shifter onto my rig yesterday, after a couple of years since I bought the shifter.

I hop on the Ford GT40 (the old one) and wow...
I confirm, you really do have to use the clutch...
You can't just bypass the clutch and shift like a mad man...

I am glad it was implemented this way..

After decades of playing with the Dpad and manually shifting with L1/R1 and for the past decade on and off playing with the DFGT/G29 manually shifting using the paddles, I tell you I still haven't gotten used to shifting using the H pattern gear box....

I have only tried it for an hour, but

It is so strange, that my brain is so used to shifting and my muscle memory instinctively and automatically just flickers my fingers using the paddles to shift....

I find it weird and kinda upsetting that I have to force myself, and make a conscious effort to slowly move my hand in order to shift...

.... This is even more bizarre to me since I drive 90% of the time IRL with a Hpattern manual gear box car....

I would have imagined I wouldn't have such difficulty adjusting to this ....

Did anyone encountered this situation when you made the switch, or is it just me?

In conclusion, do you concur with my below statements:
1) from now on, I will leave the H pattern shifter hooked up to the rig and leave it connected to the G29 no matter which car I decide to drive or switch to. There shouldn't be any problem.
2) if I drive a road car that has the manual H pattern in IRL, I can use the shifter and clutch to its full functionality
3) if I drive any other vehicle that only has automatic or sequential gear box iRL, then I should use the paddles to shift. ( I can still use the Hpattern to shift but using the clutch wouldn't have any effect, and shifting gears without using the clutch would even more throw my habits havock ?!)

I feel like I am starting the game from scratch, learning to play it all over again....fun .

Edit:
I really wish there was a setting in GT where you can choose and that would force the control to only take the configuration of transmission IRL of the chosen or selected car, and force you to use it

Right now it seems that you can either use the H pattern, clutch or no clutch, or Paddle Shifters and switch between these choices on the fly... And it is disconcerting to the brain...

I personally want to drive the cars the way they were configured IRL...

I will also test all that out on Project Cars 2 later today....

Last edited:
Back