Cars that downgrades like hell while racing.

• Thread starter talhaONE
  • 18 comments
Turkey
Turkey
talhaONE
We all know gt sport downgrading the modeling of the cars when racing for the stable 60 fps but it seems some cars gone too far with this. While racing if you look a bit carefully you will see edges all around the car like it belongs to older genetration consoles. I only found 4 cars so far if you guys found more please tell.

1. Toyota Ft-1 Gr.3

You will easily understand the downgrade just by looking to the toyota logo. It looks ugly as hell.

2. Lexus Rc-f

Full of edges all around the car just looks horrible. Even the Ubisoft downgraded their games less.

3. Bugatti veyron 16.4 and Bugatti veyron 16.4 Gr.4

Engine deck becames completely texture on both cars while racing. Just looks ugly.

4.All Srt tomahawks

You can easily see the edges all around the car. Hood, windshield, fenders etc.

Ofcourse some other cars getting downgraded but not as much as those cars. Also some cars seatbelts disappear while racing. F40 for example.

I remember seeing one car, sadly can't remember which, where the wheel arches turned into something which looked like it came from a PS1 version of GT (maybe even worse... vertical line > 45° line > horizontal line > 45° line > vertical line)

Even the FT-1 (Gr.X) suffers from the same problem. It only looks better during replay, garage, and in Scapes. The WRX's suffer quite a downgrade in replays for some strange reason...:irked:

The Camaro is really bad.

6927099249875255824_23.jpg

I remember seeing one car, sadly can't remember which, where the wheel arches turned into something which looked like it came from a PS1 version of GT (maybe even worse... vertical line > 45° line > horizontal line > 45° line > vertical line)

Viper Gr3

I did? I stand corrected. Thanks for telling me what I meant (and exemplifying one of the many problems of this site).

I’m not telling you want you meant, I just pointed out that what you wrote about PS1 quality wheel arches isn’t correct, because those games used alpha textures instead of polygonal arches.

I can’t see why you’re so upset about it :P

I’m not telling you want you meant, I just pointed out that what you wrote about PS1 quality wheel arches isn’t correct, because those games used alpha textures instead of polygonal arches.

I can’t see why you’re so upset about it :P

What is wrong with you? I'm upset about you putting words into my mouth, denying it, then doubling down on it!

YOUR
exact words were: "yes you did". That is you telling me I said something that I did not. I did not say the PS1 vehicles wheel arches were modelled. YOU claimed I said it. I didn't say it. NOW you're compounding it by telling me I'M not correct about something I NEVER actually said! Again, WHAT. IS. WRONG. WITH. YOU?

which looked like

LIKE does not necessarily mean THE SAME. LIKE can also mean similar, in the same vein, an interpretation...

"It was like a festival" =/= "It was a festival"
"It was like a human figure" =/= "It was a human figure"
"It was like a PS1 model wheel arch" =/= "It was a PS1 model wheel arch"

I was using it figuratively, as a metaphor, for, by todays standards, "a bit crap" or "not very good"

Is it totally beyond the realms of possibility that YOU misunderstood? Is it completely unfathomable for you to say "Oh, I didn't understand"?

You're either being deliberately belligerent or trolling. Either way, MOVE ON, for Gods sake.

Last edited:
What is wrong with you? I'm upset about you putting words into my mouth, denying it, then doubling down on it!

I'm not putting word into your mouth. You said the low polygon wheel arches looked like they came from a PS1 version of GT.

"looked like it came from a PS1 version of GT (maybe even worse... vertical line > 45° line > horizontal line > 45° line > vertical line)"

What you describe is a low polygon mesh (which is what happens when the adaptive tessellation algorithm reduces the model complexity of the mesh). I pointed out that on the PS1 versions of Gran Turismo, wheel arches were modelled using alpha masks instead of polygons, so they used pixel data do cut the holes.

Here is the difference between what you describe (low polygon resolution arch) and how GT1 and GT2 did it (low pixel resolution arch):

poly_vs_pixel.png

The reason why you may not have noticed the alpha mask technique during the PS1 era is probably because image resolution was so low that the renderings were heavily pixelated anyways. In those days it was a cheap and clever way to add details to a 3D model without adding more geometry to the mesh.

FabulousAridBuckeyebutterfly-small.gif

Of course, nowadays you can easily spot alpha masks like this. An infamous example being this car from GT5 (and 6?):

mIQCQ.jpg

And what I denied was me telling you what you meant, which is the intent behind what you were saying. I'm sure you meant that it looks awful, but the comparison to Gran Turismo on the PS1 (which is what you said) is not accurate and that's what I'm pointing out.

I find it extremely irritating mostly because I play with roof cam and heavy downgrade is really noticeable on liveries with text on hood, all pixelated. Having ps4 pro doesn't help I guess..

I believe the M6 GT3 gets this treatment as well, most noticeably on its exhaust pipes. Was taking pictures from a replay a long time ago, and when I was adjust the camera angle to get a front quarter panel close up, I saw the exhaust pipes had a really low polygon count. My only reaction was "yo PD what the 🤬" :odd:

Latest Posts

Back