• Total voters

Giancarlo

Totally new & improved!
Premium
Minus955
... plus or minus? Good or bad?

Why do you like/hate the idea? You must have a good reason..... :D

Personally, i'm not really sure what to think. :confused:

Well, first of all, no one said that ALL cars must be automated. But for the people that want it, good for them, it would make the roads more safe to drive on.

There was a story on Beyond 2000 way back in the day about a company that was working on 18-Wheeler trucks that would follow eachother. There only needed to be one driver for any length of trucks. They even had the system working with up to five trucks at the same time. That way you can have two drivers swap out in the lead truck and drive until the trucks start running out of gas. And if the following trucks don't need room for driver's sleeping quarters, they can have larger gas tanks. The lead truck would just have to have an oversized cab for two drivers, large gas tank, and enough sleeping facilities for both of them.

Bring it on!

~LoudMusic

What?? This topic doesn't appeal to anyone? This machine could change the future of cars as we know it! We won't drive them anymore! Robots will!

:eek:

Personally, I don't like the idea. I mean obviously it'll make the roads a lot safer, but I'm not behind the fact that i won't be in control of the car. Also it takes all the fun away from driving your car, whether you drive safely or like a maniac. It would be absolutely pointless in buying a fast car........

Just my :2cents:

The only place I want my car to drive itself is on long stretches of interstate highways, so I can sit back and watch a movie, sleep, or just read something. So, I vote yes, as long as I can control when it's driving. :)

This is what happens when cars drive themselfs:

Taken at my dad's work a long time ago, this Audi was left in gear, running, with the parking brake off. It sped off and ramped off of the white car's bumper, before landing on the other car.

Attachments

• wierd wreck.jpg
    wierd wreck.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 103
Originally posted by Jordan
The only place I want my car to drive itself is on long stretches of interstate highways, so I can sit back and watch a movie, sleep, or just read something. So, I vote yes, as long as I can control when it's driving. :)

interesting comment i can agree a little bit with your reasoning but thats why they have planes and trains but i supose you at least have your own car to drive when you get there

Originally posted by jag_man_v12
mind you satelite navagation systems are the start of the cars driving themselves

It is also fairly easy to use optical and radio devices to control cars. I'm sure all three would come into account. The satalite situation would help the car know where it is regionally, the radio could send information about the area at current time, and the optical would help the car stay possitioned precisely in the lane. They're doing this already a little. The car has optical sensors that look for the stripes on the road, then it centers itself between them. They're also used to 'see' where other cars are on the road, how close they are to them, and when it's safe to pass.

~LoudMusic

i think if cars do get much more self contoled you will see people going back to the old stuff to really enjoy motoring i mean i would love the the opitunity drive something like the old bentley speed 6 an truly understand what driving is al about no power sterring no sincromesh gearboxs heavy cluthes these were a mans car

Back