Cars, what actually goes into them?

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 10 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Tayeedz1
I remember long ago when I was yey high, I was watching a program called Cybernet and the main article for one of their episodes was Gran Turismo 3. I shed tears of joy when I first saw that article and recorded it onto my VCR to watch multiple times. But that's beside the point here.

I remember a specific line in the article stating that in GT2 it took a day just to model a car, sound it and match the physics to the appropriate car whereas in Gran Turismo 3 it took 2 weeks to get a car into GT3.

It's been more than 10 years since then and I wonder now, how long does it take to get a car into GT6/GT7 and what is the process behind actually getting them into the game? I think in asking this question it can give the public an understanding of it's not as easy as it looks and that the processes involved can be quite in-depth.

I remember long ago when I was yey high, I was watching a program called Cybernet and the main article for one of their episodes was Gran Turismo 3. I shed tears of joy when I first saw that article and recorded it onto my VCR to watch multiple times. But that's beside the point here.

I remember a specific line in the article stating that in GT2 it took a day just to model a car, sound it and match the physics to the appropriate car whereas in Gran Turismo 3 it took 2 weeks to get a car into GT3.

It's been more than 10 years since then and I wonder now, how long does it take to get a car into GT6/GT7 and what is the process behind actually getting them into the game? I think in asking this question it can give the public an understanding of it's not as easy as it looks and that the processes involved can be quite in-depth.

"a model will still take 6 months to create, and that is because the time and costs saved in the research phase are re-distributed into modelling to further improve the quality of the final product."

from
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/cars/#new

"a model will still take 6 months to create, and that is because the time and costs saved in the research phase are re-distributed into modelling to further improve the quality of the final product."
from
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/cars/#new

Alright cool 6 months, but what GOES into those months I wonder. Maybe an explanation or showing us the process from start to finish? I'd understand if it was a trade secret though.

I really like this question. Maybe Jordan or the person, who makes the interview can ask PD to make a "making of"- video, where they share same stuff :)
This gets asked on occasion, I think from back in GT4 days if not earlier. But it's a great idea that I was hoping would be in GTTV, a video on the Blu-ray disc... something. Surely Kaz could be talked into a film day or two when there's a work slump, and they could shoot some unclassified work going on there. We did get little peeks in the past, so I think it's high time we got a big peek behind the yellow curtain. Along with it, an explanation of the general process of bringing a car - and track - to life in Gran Turismo.

Wait guys, Mario Andretti's Hudson. How long did that take to get modelled and placed into the game? This is because I remember a livestream showing the car being built and the day it was unveiled (I think it was) was the day it appeared in GT6.

Am I missing something here?

Wait guys, Mario Andretti's Hudson. How long did that take to get modelled and placed into the game? This is because I remember a livestream showing the car being built and the day it was unveiled (I think it was) was the day it appeared in GT6.

Am I missing something here?

That thought has crossed my mind, as well..... Odd that it was done so quickly.... And we don't have all of the SEMA winners, yet.... Hmmm.... :guilty: :odd:

That thought has crossed my mind, as well..... Odd that it was done so quickly.... And we don't have all of the SEMA winners, yet.... Hmmm.... :guilty: :odd:

Saving them for GT7? Hence why PD is considering suggestions and Kaz wants to answer questions. It's very awkward.

Latest Posts

Back