• Thread starter Grippy
  • 5 comments

Grippy

(Banned)
Australia
Australia
*Work in progress thread* *car list improved with time*
*In current GT6 v1.22

We have Horsepower and Weight statistics available readily for the majority of cars in game, however what we do not know is how much grip is assigned to each car's data. Even on the exact same tyre compound, it is noticeable how some cars have significantly more grip than others.
Here are two interactive examples you can try for yourself to further clarify the distinction. Be sure to tune them for the same Power-to-weight ratio, on the same track and use no downforce. Then Fit the Comfort Hard tyre to both cars. Look for corner speed mid-turn:
The example medium-high grip car: Lotus Elise
The example high-grip car: Suzuki GSX-R/4, A concept car with specially built body to handle a motorcycle engine.
**Bonus testing: The example low-grip car: Nissan Silvia 240RS, A purpose-built rally car, with an FR drivetrain.

I could have sworn in earlier versions of GT6 the standard '03 model was much better in grip to the detailed interior of the '07. Buy both cars and you can see they have the same stats.
Normal grip: RX8 TypeS '07
High-grip: RX8 TypeS '03
Instructions:
Tune both the exact same on RS tyres for 550PP. All aids but ABS 1, Hotlap at midfield, record lap times. The '03 model is miles ahead in forgivable Grip.

Most people would test the cars and then say this thread is purely speculation, and that you can tune up the Elise suspension/LSD setup to achieve as fast cornering as the GSX but I beg to differ. I think it cannot be done, due to lack of grip and/or combination of weak base body rigidity, but for the sake of simplicity, we'll stick with Tyre Grip theory.

Note: There are other factors not yet touched on that can affect drastically a car's potential to corner better such as:
  • Wheelbase length
  • Ride Height and suspension geometry
  • Weight distribution and Engine location
  • Drivetrain type
But with the example cars both having no downforce, similar wheelbase lengths, similar weight distributions, same drifetrain type, the same tyre compound and the same power-weight ratio, why is the GSX still that much faster around a turn? Maybe I am missing the point, somewhere...gearing... suspension geometry...something. I am certain despite these similarities, the GSX was given more grip to it's in-game tyre.
Edit: Done some digging...Found this bit of intel. Clarifies most of my thoughts & sums it up nicely: http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums...-physics-testing-post6289735.html#post6289735 case in point. Some cars were designed to be faster around a corner. This is recreated in game regardless of the tyres being the same compound on both vehicles.

Note: Tracks in game also have different levels of grip, they vary slightly and not as dramatic as cars can(we exclude snow and drift tracks for this comparison) for this thread, we will just focus on the most obvious differences to car grip.

Current list of cars with medium-high+ grip levels:​
*These cars might have an unfair advantage when it comes to the PP system of things.
*They can be tuned to have much higher grip levels than the competition if all cars have the same weight and power. Also this isn't the final list and cars are subject to change upon further testing. There is however potential to blast the competition:

BMW M5 '08
Ferrari Dino
Ford Focus RS '02
Holden Commodore
Honda NSX-R
KTM X-bow
Mazda RX8 Type S '03
RUF 3400S

Honorable mentions:
Ford SVT Lightning-Good grip for a pickup with a V8
Most Mercedes cars have slighty above average grip

Honorable mentions(well outside CH - CS Tyre limit):
Honda HSV
Mercedes SLS AMG GT3'11

I plan to add a rating system of 5 stars to my current car list.
There is no Recording of lap times in this thread, this is just a general guide. Some information may be incorrect and most is calculated guesstimates rather than hard data. Use/tune at your own risk.
There might be a better comparison MR car to show off a bigger gap in performance (against the high-grip GSX) like some of the Toyota MR2s but I have not tested them.​

Last edited:
Look at the tyres in photo mode, if they look wide then you'll have a lot of grip
More power is useless, less weight is king
In terms of lap time MR platforms are always faster
If its a road car with real downforce (ie. NSX-R Concept) then its going to be fast

It sounds to me like you're trying to prove that water is wet, anyone who has played any of the GT games knows that the PP system is broken. Go have a read through the FITT archives and you'll see that there is always a performance difference between cars that cannot be overcome no matter how much you tweak the weight/power/pp

Looks like a good project, Have fun with it. I hope you don't get many doubters in here but it might happen just smile and nod and keep on roll'n.
Might want to consider using something MoTec i2 to get lateral G forces on the cars. Skip the tuning and run PD stock that way there is no player influence in the data other than driving style.

You just need to take a look at what cars dominate online super laps and fit events (but acceleration is also a factor).

I have tested some cars at 450PP at Bathurst with CS tires. I was mostly looking to find a trend in lap times based on weight but I guess I found cars with high grip as well. Some heavy cars had grip every bit as good as the lighter cars. The naturally aspirated Mitsubishi GTO at 1400kg and the Holden Monaro at 1800kg were exceptional.

Last edited:
Look at the tyres in photo mode, if they look wide then you'll have a lot of grip
More power is useless, less weight is king
In terms of lap time MR platforms are always faster
If its a road car with real downforce (ie. NSX-R Concept) then its going to be fast

It sounds to me like you're trying to prove that water is wet, anyone who has played any of the GT games knows that the PP system is broken. Go have a read through the FITT archives and you'll see that there is always a performance difference between cars that cannot be overcome no matter how much you tweak the weight/power/pp
I completely Forgot about the slight differences in tyre tread, I will check that more in future. Yes I agree more power is harder to handle and fine-tune. Less weight has many benefits to a car IRL, but with GT6 physics dynamics I am not so sure it is that simple. In cornering maybe but in straight line speed, based on what I've seen it varies.

In game 4WD cars with less weight works wonders for drags. However with an FR drivetrain if two cars have similar power to weight ratio, I find the car with more power(and slightly more weight) pulls better towards the end of the track. I don't know if that's the same case IRL but in GT6 that's my observations. Have a feeling it could be linked to the way they have modeled the transmissions, but again that's more speculation for now.

Last edited:
I completely Forgot about the slight differences in tyre tread, I will check that more in future. Yes I agree more power is harder to handle and fine-tune. Less weight has many benefits to a car IRL, but with GT6 physics dynamics I am not so sure it is that simple. In cornering maybe but in straight line speed, based on what I've seen it varies.

In game 4WD cars with less weight works wonders for drags. However with an FR drivetrain if two cars have similar power to weight ratio, I find the car with more power(and slightly more weight) pulls better towards the end of the track. I don't know if that's the same case IRL but in GT6 that's my observations. Have a feeling it could be linked to the way they have modeled the transmissions, but again that's more speculation for now.
Do as you will but I fear you are wasting your time

Back