Cars you wish were touring cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Feral Pigeon
  • 28 comments
  • 10,139 views
Messages
283
United States
Houston, TX
Messages
FireLite MS9600
You ever saw a car and thought what it would look like with half a dozen aerodynamic bits sticking off of it, going 180? Post the idea here.(and for those who can actually draw, post a drawing of it here)

I could definitely see a Hummer H3 Touring...
 
Gp. A '80-'89
BUICK Regal Grand National/GNX
CHEVROLET Camaro Z/28/IROC-Z
DODGE Daytona Shelby/IROC
DODGE Shelby Omni GLH-S
FORD Mustang SVO
FORD Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
LANCIA Thema 8.32/Turbo
MERCEDES-BENZ 300E AMG "Hammer"
NISSAN Silvia K's S13
PONTIAC Trans-Am Turbo 1989

Supertouring '90-'99
CHEVROLET Beretta GTZ
CHEVROLET Malibu
CITROEN Xantia
DODGE Spirit R/T
FORD Taurus Gen I/II
HYUNDAI Elantra J2
HYUNDAI Sonata Y3/EF
LANCIA Thema
MAZDA 626
MERCEDES-BENZ C-Class W202
MITSUBISHI Galant
NISSAN Altima
OLDSMOBILE Cutlass Calais 4-4-2
PONTIAC Grand Am
SAAB 9-3
SATURN SL
SUBARU Legacy
VOLKSWAGEN Jetta

5-Litre/V8 Supercars, '00-'10
AUDI A6/S6/RS6
BMW M5 E39/550i E60/550i F10
CADILLAC CTS-V
CHRYSLER 300C SRT-8
DODGE Charger SRT-8
HYUNDAI Genesis 4.6
INFINITI M56/NISSAN Fuga
JAGUAR XF
LEXUS GS460
LINCOLN LS V8
MASERATI Quattroporte S
MERCEDES-BENZ E63 AMG
MERCURY Marauder
PORSCHE Panamera S
VOLKSWAGEN Phaeton V8
VOLVO S80 V8

((GM Zeta platform cars ommitted - Holden Commodore already exists))

Super 2000
ALFA ROMEO Giulietta
BUICK Excelle (CH)
CHRYSLER 200
CITROEN DS3
DODGE Avenger
DODGE Neon SRT-4
HYUNDAI Elantra
KIA Forte
LANCIA New Delta
MAZDA 3
MERCEDES-BENZ CLC
MINI Countryman
MITSUBISHI Lancer
NISSAN Sentra
RENAULT Megane III
SCION tC
SUBARU Impreza
SUZUKI Kizashi
TOYOTA Auris (E)
TOYOTA Corolla (U.S.)
 
Last edited:
What happened to Touring Cars that didn't require "half a dozen aerodynamic bits sticking off of it"?
Straight away I have to say I wish the old guard would return to Touring Cars again properly, thats to say: Renault, Peugeot, Audi, Volvo, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Opel/Vauxhall etc.
Some of those are around but not a huge presence (Volvo) and some are in a series which is pretend Touring Cars (Merc, Audi). I don't consider DTM as Touring Cars...those things have GT levels of downforce and power and almost look nothing like the road cars they are supposedly based on.

TC2000 and V8 Supercars also feature quite a bit of aerodynamics but not quite the same as DTM. Its a little bit more reasonable anyway.

Anyway, if I had to come up with one manufacturer and car - Jaguar with the XFR. In both BTCC and V8 Supercars would be fantastic. Throw in Mini I guess too for BTCC and maybe Dodge for old times sake :p.
 
Last edited:
What happened to Touring Cars that didn't require "half a dozen aerodynamic bits sticking off of it"?
Straight away I have to say I wish the old guard would return to Touring Cars again properly, thats to say: Renault, Peugeot, Audi, Volvo, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Opel/Vauxhall etc.
Some of those are around but not a huge presence (Volvo) and some are in a series which is pretend Touring Cars (Merc, Audi). I don't consider DTM as Touring Cars...those things have GT levels of downforce and power and almost look nothing like the road cars they are supposedly based on.

TC1000 and V8 Supercars also feature quite a bit of aerodynamics but not quite the same as DTM. Its a little bit more reasonable anyway.

Anyway, if I had to come up with one manufacturer and car - Jaguar with the XFR. In both BTCC and V8 Supercars would be fantastic. Throw in Mini I guess too for BTCC and maybe Dodge for old times sake :p.

^This 👍

Touring cars whole point is that they still retain the look of their road going cousins. DTM cars are quick enough to be considered for Japan's Super GT Series.
 
And its always been rubbing racing, where contact is expected and somewhat accepted. In DTM, its more like F1 with more processional races and most collisons ending people's races. Its sad as DTM used to be more like other touring car series.
 
And its always been rubbing racing, where contact is expected and somewhat accepted. In DTM, its more like F1 with more processional races and most collisons ending people's races. Its sad as DTM used to be more like other touring car series.

Yeah, from about 2005 onwards, DTM has become too nice and clean. Put Plato and Neal in there and they will show em how to race...
 
that's why I advised Group A and Early Supertouring. I did notice me putting up a LOT of American cars that hadn't been used.

I'm considering making a "Modern Supertouring" list, and a "V6 Touring Series" list.
 
As for performance though, look at V8 Supercars. They are incredibly quick, they do long races, yet the drivers don't hang around. They rub and swap paint without falling to bits. DTM has too many little aero bits and flicks for there to be truly close spectacular racing. Team politics also has something to do with that.

On topic - a BMW 1-series would be a good car I reckon - smaller and lighter than the 3-series, and also that's a newer, fresher model.
 
On topic - a BMW 1-series would be a good car I reckon - smaller and lighter than the 3-series, and also that's a newer, fresher model.

BMW 120d, driven by Rick Kerry for AFM Racing in the 2007 BTCC. Best result was 11th.

st_3379_ed00.jpg
 
It's not really a touring car, but I'd love to see a Koenigsegg race in GT1 or something similar.
 
Tesla Roadster

Whatever category of racing it would fit in, I don't know.
 
It's not really a touring car, but I'd love to see a Koenigsegg race in GT1 or something similar.
A GT1 spec CCX, the "CCGT", was made but never raced due to homologation rule changes.


koenigsegg-ccgt2.jpg
 
Well, actually it isn't, as it never raced :p.
 
VW Passat. All of them.

It's kind of been done already, well not neccessarily a touring car but this one is a V8 Star spec car and races as part of the Dutch Supercar Challenge.

3504883570_242b996c38_z.jpg
 
5-Litre/V8 Supercars, '00-'10
BMW M5 E39/550i E60/550i F10

I'm sure a lot of cars in your list did compete in this class in the italian series. I know the EE9 and E60 BMW's did.

c5beb83bec0440adb3b0e7d188fc98eb.jpg
 
anyone mind if I revive my own thread??

seriously thinking about realistic cars, I could see a Super GT SVS Codatronca TS, and also, considering there's a smart car cup car out there, I could see one in the BTCC with a V6 dropped in it. I'm thinking something along the lines of the dual-screw-supercharged V6 from the C32 AMG, or another newer Merc V6.
 
Anyway, if I had to come up with one manufacturer and car - Jaguar with the XFR. In both BTCC and V8 Supercars would be fantastic. Throw in Mini I guess too for BTCC and maybe Dodge for old times sake :p.
They already race one in the Italian Superstars series.
xfr.jpg
 
It's kind of been done already, well not neccessarily a touring car but this one is a V8 Star spec car and races as part of the Dutch Supercar Challenge.

3504883570_242b996c38_z.jpg

OMG, this is beautiful. Any pic of a Passat B2 "Santana" Touring Car?
 
Ah, why not? Lemme pull up a "Modern Supertouring" and a "Super Six" category.

MODERN SUPERTOURING: Standard supertouring rules with tire width restriction. 2.0 Normally Aspirated

ACURA TSX (Honda Accord)
ALFA ROMEO Giulia
ALFA ROMEO 159
AUDI A4
BMW 320i
BUICK Regal
CADILLAC BLS
CHEVROLET Malibu
CHRYSLER 200
CITROEN C5
DODGE Avenger '11
FORD Mondeo
FORD Fusion (US)
HYUNDAI Sonata
KIA Optima
MAZDA 6
MERCEDES C-Class
MITSUBISHI Lancer Sedan
NISSAN Altima
OPEL/VAUXHALL Insignia
PEUGEOT 407
RENAULT Laguna III
SAAB 93
SEAT Exeo
SKODA Octavia
SUBARU Legacy
SUZUKI Kizashi
TOYOTA Corolla
TOYOTA Avensis
VOLKSWAGEN Jetta
VOLVO S40

SUPER SIX: somewhere between Supertouring and 5-litre V8s. Displacement limit of 3800CC, 6-cyl engine only. Upper-midsize cars only. RWD cars have weight penalty. FWD or RWD only. AWD cars may have rear or front wheels disconnected - RWD incurs weight penalty.
ACURA TSL (Honda Accord)
ALFA ROMEO 159
AUDI A6
BMW 530i
BUICK Lucerne
BUICK Lacrosse
CADILLAC CTS V6
CHEVROLET Malibu V6
CHEVROLET Impala
CHRYSLER 300 V6
CITROEN C6
DODGE Avenger V6
DODGE Charger V6
FORD Fusion V6 (US)
FORD Taurus
HONDA Accord V6 (US)
HYUNDAI Azera
LEXUS ES 350
LEXUS GS 350
LINCOLN MKS
MAZDA 6s
MERCEDES E350
MITSUBISHI Galant
NISSAN Altima V6
NISSAN Maxima V6
OPEL/VAUXHALL Insignia
PEUGEOT 508
RENAULT Laguna III
SAAB 95
SKODA Superb
SUBARU Legacy 3.0R
TOYOTA Camry V6
TOYOTA Avalon
TOYOTA Aurion
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
VOKKSWAGEN CC
VOLVO S60
 
super six: Somewhere between supertouring and 5-litre v8s. Displacement limit of 3800cc, 6-cyl engine only. Upper-midsize cars only. Rwd cars have weight penalty. Fwd or rwd only. Awd cars may have rear or front wheels disconnected - rwd incurs weight penalty.
Acura tsl (honda accord)
alfa romeo 159
audi a6
bmw 530i
buick lucerne
buick lacrosse
cadillac cts v6
chevrolet malibu v6
chevrolet impala*
chrysler 300 v6
citroen c6
dodge avenger v6
dodge charger v6
ford fusion v6 (us)*
ford taurus*
honda accord v6 (us)
hyundai azera
lexus es 350
lexus gs 350
lincoln mks
mazda 6s
mercedes e350
mitsubishi galant
nissan altima v6*
nissan maxima v6*
opel/vauxhall insignia
peugeot 508
renault laguna iii
saab 95
skoda superb
subaru legacy 3.0r
toyota camry v6*
toyota avalon*
toyota aurion
volkswagen passat
vokkswagen cc
volvo s60*

*want now
 
Too bad this never raced.
lexus-is-f-racing-co-1-2w.jpg
 
Too bad this never raced.
lexus-is-f-racing-co-1-2w.jpg

reminds me of the Audi A4 Touring and Mercedes C-Class Touring in Forza 3. god, If only Infiniti and Acura had Touring models...
 
Well the A4 and the C-class race in DTM, the Lexus looks just like it could. The Infiniti G sedan would be a good base. Acura, maybe the TL.
 
Back