Catagorized carlist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter UnshavenYapper
  • 23 comments
  • 1,441 views

UnshavenYapper

GT Die Hard Fan
Premium
Messages
410
Denmark
Denmark
Messages
GTP_UnshavenYapp / UnshavenYapper
Messages
UnshavenYapper
A friend and i are looking to start a new series of online championships, there is going to be Hot Hatch, Super saloon, Tarmac Rally and other stuff.

But we need a Carlist that says what cars are what kind of car, not just racing and road cars, but where the cars are catagorized in Saloon's Hatchbacks, Station Wagon, does such a list excist or do we need to make our own?
 
sorry but thats not what we're looking for. there must be a list of all cars in the game that tells if they are hacthbacks or saloons or whatever out there some where? just cant find it, tryed google and searching here on the forums but nothing shows up
 
There might be, but you're going to have a hard time finding one. No matter how I searched GTPlanet I didn't see anything that exactly matches what you're looking for. But hey, sometimes you gotta be the creator. Kudos if you guys make the list.
 
Necessity is the mother of all inventions!
It's an ambitious project I give you that. But the more people are involved, the smoother things go.
 
Yapper has a version I've done for him... it's a start, only thing it's missing is PP.

It took me some time...


Where's the 'If inly we knew the PP formula' smiley?
 
I tried to extract that data too, but just fails. I was going to merge with what we already have, but it's on multiple lines per car - Boooo!
 
Maybe you should put the list on google docs? then we can allways add Stock/max pp little by little?
 
Is this something that can really be done? Unless you are going to sort it into multiple categories (ie. one car can be categorized as multiple things, which for the purposes of choosing cars for a race series seems like it would make the thing much less useful), it seems like it would be impossible to make an objective one.
 
@ Humphrey Sounds exciting, looking forward to hear more about that.

@Toronado i dont get your point? a car is either a coupe or a hatch, it cant be both?
 
The problem is that a car can be more than one thing.


Is a Toyota Celica a hatchback? If not, why not? It has a hatch opening in the rear. What about an Integra Type R?
 
Last edited:
@Toronado i dont get your point? a car is either a coupe or a hatch, it cant be both?

Yes it can actually, for example the Honda Integra or VW Scirocco are coupés but strictly speaking also hatchbacks.
And despite its looks and categorization in GT5 a Clio V6 (or 5 Turbo) isn't really a hatchback but a mid-engined two-seater sportscar which bodywork comes from an FF hatchback.
Then there are things like 4-door coupés (although only the RX-8 in GT5 I think) like the Mercedes CLS or Passat CC which could easily be mistaken for 4-door saloons by those unaware of it.

It's more complicated than it might seem, nevermind the body style of car not saying that much about whether it's suitable for a particular series, I think it would be best to handpick the cars eligible for that series.
Like making a specific limited list of FF hatchbacks for example (excluding the cars that are also coupés for example) which can be made to match.
 
I'm working on a car gallery on Deviantart. LINK

It's far from finished, but I try my best to regularly update it. (Usually 5 or more cars per day)

Toronado will help me with race car types and I'll update the descriptions.

If someone wants to volunteer and help with road car types, they are welcomed.
 
I would say Integra, Celica's and Scirocco are coupes IF they dont have windowframes on the doors? otherwise they are Hatches.

But i can see this will be a mess, and im not gonna turn myself into a judge of whats a coupe and whats a hatchback. So i think we must consider Analogs point, and find some FF 1.6L - 2.2L? (if anyone has a idea how to make the racing really close, they are more then welcome to speak up) Hatches to make a good championship.
 
I would say Integra, Celica's and Scirocco are coupes IF they dont have windowframes on the doors? otherwise they are Hatches.

But i can see this will be a mess, and im not gonna turn myself into a judge of whats a coupe and whats a hatchback. So i think we must consider Analogs point, and find some FF 1.6L - 2.2L? (if anyone has a idea how to make the racing really close, they are more then welcome to speak up) Hatches to make a good championship.

Nah, windowframes or not aren't what makes a coupé a coupé although regular hatchbacks tend to have windowframes.

The way I'd do it is to categorize according to class, say Golf/Megane/Focus/Civic/etc. class of FF hatchbacks and pick a PP number (say 450PP) which they have to match.
 
Nah, windowframes or not aren't what makes a coupé a coupé although regular hatchbacks tend to have windowframes.

The way I'd do it is to categorize according to class, say Golf/Megane/Focus/Civic/etc. class of FF hatchbacks and pick a PP number (say 450PP) which they have to match.

That's what iv allways been told, 2/3 doors with no windowframes makes a coupe. But ofcourse i could been told wrong.

Maybe we should just do it as simple as that, even tho we have been doing alot of testing to match slow and quick hatches with different pp. like ford ka could race with 450pp against a 435pp golf iv gti.

Do you know of any Classkiller (like the 'csl 'nsx LFa around 500pp) in the golf/focus class that needs to be handicapped?
 
The problem is that a car can be more than one thing.


Is a Toyota Celica a hatchback? If not, why not? It has a hatch opening in the rear. What about an Integra Type R?


Well, I say (and what I say goes! :)) a Celica is a Coupé...
Agreed it has a hatch, but it was designed to be a sports car (based on a corolla right?) so to distinguish it, and make it sportier the manufacturer calls it a Coupé.

I agree with Analogue about window frame less, the Mini, Old Impreza, are missing these, but are hatch and saloon/sedan... Tricky tricky tricky.

Audi TT 8N is a Coupé, but is blatantly a hatch.
The Original beetle is branded a Saloon..?!

I've tried to use my knowledge of motors, and only sticking point I had is Coupé's which are technically super cars... Should an Aston V12 Vantage be branded a Coupé or Super car...?

Or mark it as a Coupe, but put an extra column determining Super Car, Hot Hatch, Super Saloon etc?

Advice gratefully accepted.

FYI, I have a compiled a list of every car (1,089 cars) with a couple of gaps using The official GT5 List and two other lists (which both have missing and or duplicate cars, hence the gaps)
So we now have, PP, Weight, HP, Drive, blah blah blah

Just a shame it's impossible to find base PP AND Max PP unless the Max is done manually... Zzz Zzz

Emailing it to you now Yapp. 👍
 
Last edited:
If anyone's interested:
GT5Carlist.gif


Still needs work, and Class can is a contentious issue... But you can see what I've managed to collate.
 
Can't see the whole list but it's already starting with errors, the AC 427 S/C isn't a muscle car but a sportscar and the Acura CL is a coupé.
 
Can't see the whole list but it's already starting with errors, the AC 427 S/C isn't a muscle car but a sportscar and the Acura CL is a coupé.

Easy easy....

427 body type is '2 Seater Sports', but I created a Class column, as such classed it as 'Muscle car'

And agree with the CL - there's 1,099 cars listed - be gentle.
 
Looks good. I reckon engine capacity and engine type could be useful to capture while you're at it.
 
Easy easy....

427 body type is '2 Seater Sports', but I created a Class column, as such classed it as 'Muscle car'

And agree with the CL - there's 1,099 cars listed - be gentle.

I'm not dismissing the effort put into the list, it's just that I instantly spotted these errors in the small section you chose to show.

As for the 427 (or Cobra), it's a 2-door roadster body type and it should be classed as a sportscar.
 
Back