Catastrophic loss in PC performance

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 10 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MortenCR
Just built a brand new PC. I7 8700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB Ram. I can run Firestrike Extreme and Unigine Heaven for as long as I like, with stabile temperatures and no drops in performance.

Running Practice mode in AC, on Laguna Seca with the LaFerrari roadcar, I'm running at a capped 150fps (to avoid screen tear on my 165hz display). But after about 20 minutes, the framerate will drop to between 25-70 fps.
Exiting the game, the problem continues to affect ALL programs, with the system unable to generate more than about 35 FPS in any application, apart from the Firestrike Physics test, wich only tests the CPU (getting 65-74 FPS no problem). Both my GPU and CPU clocks and temperatures remains stabile the entire time, no sudden drops or spikes the entire time. Rebooting the system gets everything back to normal.

As mentioned above, I can run stresstests and benchmarks for as long as I want, with absolutely no performance drops. I've already tried different Nvidia drivers and updated my motherboard BIOS, with no change in Assetto Corsa. So is it a problem with the game or hardware???

Sorry. I wish I could help you. I just wanted to thank you for reigniting one of my most traumatic fears from childhood with your avatar from Salem's Lot. If I hear someone tapping on my window tonight I'm going to have a massive heart attack.

Have you tried some changes in the Nvidia control panel? You know, decrease the anti-aliasing, or let the application decide, etc. That seems to help me a lot.

I woud have said heat issue or memory leak. I assume the ram is the right speed in bios and all that?

Overclocking?

Do you see anything in event viewer with a time stamp to match when you see degradation? ?

Weird how the other proggy is ok though... odd one but my gut says heat issue somehow.

I woud have said heat issue or memory leak. I assume the ram is the right speed in bios and all that?

Overclocking?

Do you see anything in event viewer with a time stamp to match when you see degradation? ?

Weird how the other proggy is ok though... odd one but my gut says heat issue somehow.

I actually built my system with extreme care to temperatures. I have top and back mounted 140mm exhaust fans, and a Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm AIO liquid CPU cooler mit 4 120mm fans in push/pull config. CPU peaks at 65C in stress tests and GPU sits at a stabile 69-70C after 30 minutes of running Unigine Heaven. I've checked everything in BIOS, the RAM is set to XMP profile 1 (3200mhz). So I really dont know what the problem is.

As a side note. Running the LaFerrari for 35 minutes at Nordschleife didn't seem to cause any performance loss, with the game sitting at 150fps throughout the entire session.

I actually built my system with extreme care to temperatures. I have top and back mounted 140mm exhaust fans, and a Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm AIO liquid CPU cooler mit 4 120mm fans in push/pull config. CPU peaks at 65C in stress tests and GPU sits at a stabile 69-70C after 30 minutes of running Unigine Heaven. I've checked everything in BIOS, the RAM is set to XMP profile 1 (3200mhz). So I really dont know what the problem is.

As a side note. Running the LaFerrari for 35 minutes at Nordschleife didn't seem to cause any performance loss, with the game sitting at 150fps throughout the entire session.

There seem to be a few on the ac forum talking about fps after 1.16 update as well but cannot read their locked forum.

If you say different cars dont suffer then mqybe the game has some mem leak issue but I am guessing as I cannot test myself.

Your best bet is to do some testing as to whether it's a specific track or specific car that causes the problem, and also perhaps do some logging in Windows of memory usage, virtual memory etc.

This will help you see if it's a game bug and if you can narrow it down to a track or specific car combo, especially if others can then recreate it, it will make it a lot easier for Kunos to fix.

Yes I agree. I Did a Google search on my issues, and all symptoms points the finger straight at memory leakage.

Interesting that you posted this, I've been having a similar issue the past few times I've played. Everything is fine for a few laps, then I get a ton of stuttering. Doesn't matter if it's just me hotlapping or if I have 40+ AI, the same intense stuttering always kicks in at the same time. What's stranger is that if this is happening and I switch to the replay, the replay is perfectly smooth, but the stuttering comes straight back as soon as I switch back to the race.

Haven't changed a thing and it doesn't affect or happen in any other game, my system still runs fine afterwards. Rivatuner's real time stats don't show any temp, memory or usage issues but the frame pacing becomes all over the place.

Weird. :confused:

I think I have solved my problem. The cause of the issue seemed to have been the Gigabyte Graphics Engine overclocking software, that I had been running in the background. I didn't actually overclock my GPU, but the software controls those childish RGB LED's that sits on my GPU and motherboard and I used it to monitor temperatures as well. After uninstalling the program, I have had no more problems.

Interesting that you posted this, I've been having a similar issue the past few times I've played. Everything is fine for a few laps, then I get a ton of stuttering. Doesn't matter if it's just me hotlapping or if I have 40+ AI, the same intense stuttering always kicks in at the same time. What's stranger is that if this is happening and I switch to the replay, the replay is perfectly smooth, but the stuttering comes straight back as soon as I switch back to the race.

Haven't changed a thing and it doesn't affect or happen in any other game, my system still runs fine afterwards. Rivatuner's real time stats don't show any temp, memory or usage issues but the frame pacing becomes all over the place.

Weird. :confused:

I've read that Rivatuner can cause similar problems, especially in Forza Motorsport 7 on the PC, so be aware that overclocking tools and monitoring software running in the background can cause problems in some games.

Back