Caterham Seven Fireblade Issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter pb5
  • 8 comments
  • 1,278 views

pb5

Messages
158
Hi

Is it just me or do others find the Seven Fireblade one of the easiest cars to roll over? I only have to hit a high kerb & over it goes.

Also why is it so slow to off the line in standard spec when the real car would be so quick.

Paul
:crazy:
 
I was REALLY disappointed with this car. I think you and I were both thinking about the newer caterhams that Clarkson advertized...
 
It's easy to roll over, because it's a tiny sub-900 lb. car, and a small kerb suddenly becomes a launch ramp.

Stock, acceleration seems slow, because it has a low-displacement, high-revving engine with mediocre torque. It might not feel fast, but then you realize that you can tackle corners 5 ~ 10 mph faster than you think you can or should.

Modified, the Fireblade becomes a relative monster once settings are optimized, but the car's prowess isn't monstrous acceleration -- it's a scalpel for carving corners.
 
it's a fantastic car, I love it..
mind you I've maxed it out :)
took on a whole bunch of Citroen GT Concept cars on the ring in Arcade mode maximum AI and won.. it was a tough race, I didn't have the top speed, but on the corners ... yee haaa.. soften the spring rate and let the suspension move a little to absorb the bumps! it's a light car, or alternatively don't hit the kerbs!!
 
I've been meaning to experiment with it more, but I think a lower spring rate (much lower) combined with the super damper (Extension rate about 2x higher than Compression) should allow it to soak up bumps pretty well, but then you'll be a little soft on the flat turns.
 
I was REALLY disappointed with this car. I think you and I were both thinking about the newer caterhams that Clarkson advertized...

Use custom transmision, lower the top speed by 10-20 mk/h and you've got yourself a rocket.
 
As already mentioned... this isn't the uber-Caterham from Top Gear. Since the original Lotus days the Caterham chassis have come with all manner of engines in. In this case it's (obviously) the Honda Fireblade engine.

As also mentioned; if you put a custom box in it and massage the final drive a bit you can get much better straight line performance from it. The secret of this car is its corner-exit speed compared to rivals - it can really make up for a lack of overall grunt.
 
You have to drive it like a motorbike, rev the nuts off it and feather the clutch.

If the real one came with an automatic gearbox it would be the same I think.
 
Use custom transmision, lower the top speed by 10-20 mk/h and you've got yourself a rocket.

Definitely. The standard transmission is geared ridiculously high. I don't think the car could get up to half the top speed that gearing would allow.

It does tip over easily if you hit a curb. I guess it's kind of narrow and doesn't have the lowest center of gravity. I still enjoy it, it just makes it a bit more challenging.
 
Back