CensorshipMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prosthetic
  • 5 comments
  • 792 views
Messages
3,542
United States
Marin County, C
I've been doing research for a big english essay and im writing on music censorhip and the parental advisory warnings on cd's. Personally a huge fan of artist having the right to write about what they want with out ignorant tigh up people involved and black listing artist because there taste differs.

Well I found this video of Frank Zappa one of the great guitarist of are time on TV discussing this. Listening to his points only makes my opinion stronger against Tipper Gore's original campaign against the music industry (who are also a bit tight up) but oh well >.>



Gave me a few laughs; I miss him.

EDIT: Also I love how the big nerdy looking guy telling a music artist to get out more... I'm sorry but someone who is not home for more then a year playing music and toaring... Pffftt yeah right.


Your guy's opinions on this issue?
 
This has been posted several times over the past few years. Love it. I've seen it at nearly every other web forum I go to. It's that popular.
 
Bloke
There are certain words you use to describe an act of fornication which are brutal!
FZ
:lol:

That video is a great example of how to rationally respond to hysteria.

Zappa also provides some perfect examples of why lyrics, words and song meanings shouldn't be banned just because they are 'offensive' at face value... "Bobby Brown Goes Down" is a masterpiece of subversive humour - and no doubt alot of people would find the lyrics extremely offensive ("I've got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper/Let her do all the work and maybe later I'll rape her") - but it's clearly an attack on 'Jock' culture, and mocks the type of people who might actually be the "Bobby Brown"'s of this world...

I could name plenty of songs/lyrics (from my own music collection alone) that atleast some people would find (and have found) offensive for one reason or another...

  • "When they finally put you in the ground/I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down"
  • "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man"
  • "Families buying dog food now/Starvation roams the streets"
  • "Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill/of Whitey on the moon"
  • "But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"
  • "Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?"
  • "Father?" "Yes son?" "I want to kill you.."/"Mother, I want to...**** you!"
  • "Well she’s 13 today and I hear she gets loaded/If she were my daughter, I’d...(What would you do, Daddy?)/Smother my daughter in chocolate syrup, and strap her on again, oh baby!"
  • "Suicide is painless/It brings on many changes/And I can take or leave it if I please"
  • "I am so all-American, I'll sell you suicide/I am Totalitarian, I've got abortions in my eyes/I hate the hater, I'd rape the raper"
  • "Are there any queers in the theatre tonight? Get 'em up against the wall!/And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me - Get him up against the wall!/And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon!/Who let all this riffraff into the room?"
  • "Rape, Murder, it's just a shot away"
  • "I hate the White Man, and the man who turned him loose"
  • "Blessed are the meth-drinkers, pot-sellers, illusion-dwellers!"
  • "I never wanted to kill, I am not naturally evil, such things I do/Just to make myself more attractive to you"
  • "You're a bum! You're a punk!"/"You're an old slut on junk - Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed"/"You scumbag, you maggot - you cheap lousy faggot, Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God its our last!"
  • "I'm gonna set myself up at a window/This margin walker wants a clear view/This margin walker wants a clear shot/And now I'm shooting it right on you"
  • "Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant *** to me you see/Straight up racist that sucker was,
    Simple and plain (M***********g him and John Wayne!)"
  • Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill The Poor!

From top to bottom: Elvis Costello; The Beatles; Stevie Wonder; Gil Scott-Heron; Johnny Cash; The Clash; The Doors; The Mothers of Invention; Johnny Mandel; Marilyn Manson; Pink Floyd; The Rolling Stones; Roy Harper; Simon & Garfunkel; Morrissey; The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl; Fugazi; Public Enemy; The Dead Kennedys
 
I love when an intellegent person,with knowelge on their subject basically makes people who think they know what they are talking about getting beat at there own game. This reminds me of Maryln Mansions response on the movie "bowling for Columbine"

 
ᅠᅠᅠ
 
Back