Centered cockpit view idea

• Thread starter ploopsy
  • 10 comments
Canada
Toronto
Cockpit view on 16x9 always feels so limited because the driver side A pillar blocks your view and some of the passenger side of your view is cropped out. I think they should have a centered cockpit view option similar to the one you can toggle in a replay. I know that most single seat cars (tomahawk, formula cars, etc) have that perfect cockpit view but it would be nice to replicate that view in any car regardless of driver position.

Best example I could find is actually a GT4 hack(?) just imagine the camera a little closer to the dash without the fisheye effect:

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Personally, I think this is completely unnecessary and not useful.....

Yes it improves vision, but at what cost? All the immersion in the game and driving a car is completely lost, worse it becomes totally absurd. Yes, there are vehicles with a central seat.. and the view there is correct and belongs there, but now I imagine I'm sitting in the Gr3 BMW M6 driving the Nürburgring and my visual position is to the right of the steering wheel, as if I were sit in the center tunnel.... no, that wouldn't be nice.

The VoW urgently needs to be revised so that the view can be adjusted better, especially a view WITHOUT a steering wheel would be really necessary... Furthermore, the HUD urgently needs to be changed in this view, since the inner mirrors are almost all totally useless in the race because they are obscured by the stupid and way too big displays of lap times on the right and driver names on the left. Unfortunately, the HUD is totally outdated, much too big/clunky and offers little useful information. In today's time and today's graphics of at least Full HD, there should be a lot more possible. (Other games can do it too...)

Cockpit view belongs behind the wheel. View being blocked by A pillar is a real life issue and one of the reasons for me to not driving a car if I dont like it. It is not making me feel safe but increasing the risk to others because it potentially hides other participants in traffic.

GTS driving in VR made it very good, because you could move your head and direct the camera how you needed.
Unfortunatly only with a single AI opponent, unfortunatly completly dropped in GT7 instead of improved.

You can center the cockpit view in the settings
Indeed the offset option is quite close to this. Having a centered view is OK if you adapt your position (ex. wheel user very close to the screen, and wheel set with an offset : but this is a pain, as in some cars it's left, other it's right position :) )

Having a wider FOV on the classic view would be better I think. Also, the pillar is more an issue than in real life where you can look in different directions and move your head naturally (like in VR)

Cockpit view belongs behind the wheel. View being blocked by A pillar is a real life issue and one of the reasons for me to not driving a car if I dont like it. It is not making me feel safe but increasing the risk to others because it potentially hides other participants in traffic.

GTS driving in VR made it very good, because you could move your head and direct the camera how you needed.
Unfortunatly only with a single AI opponent, unfortunatly completly dropped in GT7 instead of improved.
Thats the thing, in real life you can look around and you have a full field of view. Might aswell put the camera somewhere that is practical to someone looking at everything through a limited frame.
Settings -> Display Settings -> Adjust Cockpit View -> Offset
A little better but its still feels oriented to the drivers side.
Indeed the offset option is quite close to this. Having a centered view is OK if you adapt your position (ex. wheel user very close to the screen, and wheel set with an offset : but this is a pain, as in some cars it's left, other it's right position :) )

Having a wider FOV on the classic view would be better I think. Also, the pillar is more an issue than in real life where you can look in different directions and move your head naturally (like in VR)
Wider FOV would create that weird fish eye effect. Sadly the people at Sony decided not to add ultrawide support.

Personally, I think this is completely unnecessary and not useful.....

Yes it improves vision, but at what cost? All the immersion in the game and driving a car is completely lost, worse it becomes totally absurd. Yes, there are vehicles with a central seat.. and the view there is correct and belongs there, but now I imagine I'm sitting in the Gr3 BMW M6 driving the Nürburgring and my visual position is to the right of the steering wheel, as if I were sit in the center tunnel.... no, that wouldn't be nice.

The VoW urgently needs to be revised so that the view can be adjusted better, especially a view WITHOUT a steering wheel would be really necessary... Furthermore, the HUD urgently needs to be changed in this view, since the inner mirrors are almost all totally useless in the race because they are obscured by the stupid and way too big displays of lap times on the right and driver names on the left. Unfortunately, the HUD is totally outdated, much too big/clunky and offers little useful information. In today's time and today's graphics of at least Full HD, there should be a lot more possible. (Other games can do it too...)
How is the immersion lost? You still have a view from inside the car and you get the in car sounds. The central view is more practical for a limited field of view, having the camera at the driver position makes more sense when you have an ultrawide or multi display setup where you can see both side mirrors from one POV.

I feel like the cockpit cam just needs a higher FOV.

The game already supports this but won't let the player make any adjustments. Try the "Offset" camera in a single/center seater like the McLaren F1. It gives you a much wider FOV and better sense of speed. It's fantastic.

Then you go back to the "Default" setting and it's just so claustrophobic.

Last edited:
Cockpit view on 16x9 always feels so limited because the driver side A pillar blocks your view and some of the passenger side of your view is cropped out. I think they should have a centered cockpit view option similar to the one you can toggle in a replay. I know that most single seat cars (tomahawk, formula cars, etc) have that perfect cockpit view but it would be nice to replicate that view in any car regardless of driver position.

Best example I could find is actually a GT4 hack(?) just imagine the camera a little closer to the dash without the fisheye effect:

Any thoughts?

Go play Assetto Corsa, you can set this there, you can also set this for the right-hand side as if you were sitting on the left

Back