Challenge to pro drifters.

Whats tougher to do?

• Full countersteering a drift

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Having the steering wheel straight as you drift

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
BreakerOhio
I've been watching some videos and I see that some of you don't pull full locked countersteers through the whole corner. When you watch pros in real life do it, they countersteer the whole turn, not letting the wheel straighten out.

I'm starting this thread to argue that true skill and the best of exhibition,visual impression comes from being able to countersteer the complete corner because when you full lock countersteer you are risking the deepest angle possible on your car and at anytime you could spin out by pushing and risking too much. To me, this represents true drifting skills, the ability to full countersteer drift the whole turn rather than seeing the 4 wheel drift and then every now and then a countersteer. I've been drifting with my wheel for 6 months now and from my experiences there isn't much risk when doing a 4 wheel drift, and it doesn't look as cool as a full locked countersteer drift.

The only variable in a 4 wheel drift is trottle control, as opposed to attempting to get nice countersteers where you will have the wheel and trottle to control, you peal it out harder to produce deeper countersteers and then you let off to control from spinning out.

I challenge others to practice risking it and learning to perform full locked countersteer drifts because this look soooooo sooo much better in replays and are a demostration of risk taking and skill. 4 wheel drifts are cool, but are a beginners drift in my book because you aren't trying hard enough...YOU ALL CAN DO BETTER.

After trying this:
Do you agree that it takes more skill to do a full countersteer drift through a corner rather than having the wheel go straight?

With your experiences...tell me whats harder to do.

full steer is harder
becaus if the wheels are straight and the car begins to oversteer to much you can just give mor counter steer or use the throttle where as if youre already full counter steer and it oversteers to much its much harder to bring it back since u can no longer put on ne more counter steet. there for its harder (for me) to do full lock counter steer drifts.

Originally posted by Small_Fryz
full steer is harder
becaus if the wheels are straight and the car begins to oversteer to much you can just give mor counter steer or use the throttle where as if youre already full counter steer and it oversteers to much its much harder to bring it back since u can no longer put on ne more counter steet. there for its harder (for me) to do full lock counter steer drifts.
]
With this in mind, the purpose of this thread was to bring to light where the difficulty is and where judging points for control and style aought to go. I'm sure this is how the D1 judges do their judging....why else would real life drifters pull the ebrake to be able to attain that full locked countersteer. You don't see pro drifters turn there wheel straight and then pull another countersteer...the most they do is turn the wheel +/- 20 degrees at the countersteer point.

Judging for exhibition should be based on:
1. The longer you hold that full locked countersteer. Like a Kudos based...if you have to come back to straighten out the wheel then you won't be scored the full points for that drift.

Points deducted for:
1. When you have to steer into the corner during the drift, the opposite of countersteering. (You don't see pros in real life doing this)

Here is an example
http://pergatory.net/gtp/BreakerOhio_steeringwheeldemo.mpg

Personally, when I judge, I look at the drift angle and not so much the steering wheel (except for when I'm looking for smoothness at the end of the drift). If you can get the same drift angle with the wheels pointed straight as with the wheels countersteering through the whole turn..you'll get the same points. That's just how I judge, I don't know about the other judges.

dude, are you still upset about losing to me in the 4 wheel drift challenge? :odd: All your posts in this thread seem to point to that, and that it wasn't fair. The challenge was a racing drift challenge, not exhibition! Because I beat you in it doesn't mean race drifting is better than exhibition and the judges don't think that either. In all honesty, i think most of the ppl here believe exhibition shows more skill, and I'm one of them, but you still lost fair and square to a match ok? ok?

I recently bought a new memory card, and i'm starting to build up a regular 86. When I do, expect an exhibition challenge from me again so you can realize that there are plenty of ppl here who have more skill than you. I know I sound like a d**k, but I know there are a few of you like me that are getting tired breaker wh*ring his skillz by posting vids every other day.

Not really, because counter steer tends to turn the car so its straight, so a whole corner will full-lock is likely to spin the car back so its straight agin..

It really depends if you have a wheel or not. People that don’t have a wheel tend to let the wheels straighten out more since it is less precise. It is very difficult to counter steer smoothly with out one. This would only widen the gap of drifting with a wheel VS without. To make things more fair we should not look at the wheels at all, only the angle and path that the car takes.

Originally posted by The Prime
dude, are you still upset about losing to me in the 4 wheel drift challenge? :odd: All your posts in this thread seem to point to that, and that it wasn't fair. The challenge was a racing drift challenge, not exhibition! Because I beat you in it doesn't mean race drifting is better than exhibition and the judges don't think that either. In all honesty, i think most of the ppl here believe exhibition shows more skill, and I'm one of them, but you still lost fair and square to a match ok? ok?

I recently bought a new memory card, and i'm starting to build up a regular 86. When I do, expect an exhibition challenge from me again so you can realize that there are plenty of ppl here who have more skill than you. I know I sound like a d**k, but I know there are a few of you like me that are getting tired breaker wh*ring his skillz by posting vids every other day.

Don't be self centered man, I'm not even concerned about that battle, I know it was a racing drift.

I've brought these points up because I've been chatting with other people on GTP about what is and what isn't amatuar. I'm using the forums as a way to take polls to convince someone else where the difficulty in drifting exist.

A true 4-wheel drift is more difficult than drifting with countersteer, but most people introduce at least some countersteer for correction. I think that staying properly countersteered the whole time is more difficult than a mix of 2-wheel and 4-wheel drifting (like when people 4-wheel drift except they use a little countersteer at the exit to bring the car out).

Originally posted by The Prime

hey Prime, me and breaker were talking on AIM and he didn't belive me when I said a true four wheel drift w/o countersteer is harder than a full lock drift. so I told him to make a post asking the board on their opinions. it has nothing to do about your battle with him so chill out man. peace.

For the record:

When drifters four wheel drift, there is no countersteer involved. The drift angle has to be maintained through the control of the throttle, so it's like going tnrough a turn without turning the wheel. Note that also there is not smoke in four wheel drifting because if there is, that means the wheels have broken traction, which four wheel drift is not supposed to be.

Originally posted by TruenoAE86
It really depends if you have a wheel or not. People that don’t have a wheel tend to let the wheels straighten out more since it is less precise. It is very difficult to counter steer smoothly with out one.

You're completly right. I use D-pad and when I countersteer, the front wheels seem to shake themselves (the pressure I make with my thumb isn't constant), so people who have a wheel countersteer more easily than people who haven't one.

Originally posted by Thio
For the record:

When drifters four wheel drift, there is no countersteer involved. The drift angle has to be maintained through the control of the throttle, so it's like going tnrough a turn without turning the wheel. Note that also there is not smoke in four wheel drifting because if there is, that means the wheels have broken traction, which four wheel drift is not supposed to be.

That's not necessarily true Thio, you can 4-wheel drift and have tire smoke. If you are taking the optimal racing line there will be no smoke but you can get plenty sideways by 4-wheel drifting.

I personally believe that if your not countersteering the entire turn, the car isn't textbook drifting, it's gymkhana style powersliding.

Don't mind running with d-pads tho.

I've used a g27 with a real handbrake since the beginning.

If i could upload my videos of my own personal evolution into drift from grip, you would notice i used the skyline V-spec II, pushing it to my limits as well as the cars. i thought, "oh hey, i can drift..." then i started to dislike the AWD tendencies even if i had it set 90% power rear... the front tires catching and spinning under power meant that i couldn't opposite lock fully. changing the tires, sure you can create a slip effect or an over grip... but still not what i was looking for. then i started driving a strictly RWD Silvia. i noticed no matter how hard i was trying, i would continuously miss that moment when the rear swings out and you have to be perfect with the countersteer... i realize my mistakes now and it took me a few months to accomplish the true opposite lock. in my opinion it is indeed the true test of anyone who wants to claim themselves to be a true drifter.

Back