Chaparral 2E 1966

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 12 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

Chaparral 2E is arguably the most significant Chaparral design.

It introduced driver controlled aerodynamic downforce to the world. Its large high mounted wing represented a dramatic change in the world of automobile racing.

From that time forward, racing cars became aerodynamic ground vehicles.

The Chaparral 2E was fast everywhere it raced in the 1966 Can-Am series, and once teething troubles were solved, Phil Hill and Jim Hall finished a memorable one-two at Laguna Seca.

Specifications
Engine Type : V8 5359 cc | 327.0 cu in. | 5.4 L.
Power: 450 BHP (331.2 KW) @ 6800 RPM
Engine Location: Rear
Drive Type: Rear Wheel
Weight: 1543 lbs | 699.893 kg

2r7sh7q.jpg

2hrlv8m.jpg

vg08w1.jpg

THE OTHER CHAPARRALS ARE HERE:

Last edited:
If you have enough money you can buy a 2E from the Chaparral website - as Jim Hall's favourite race car it was selected for legacy production.

http://www.chaparralcars.com/index.php

I completely agree that this car should be in the game, the 2D and 2J should be upgraded to premium. I would like to see a complete field of Can Am cars available to drive in the game - these were the most powerful, most innovative racing on the planet at the time. Check out my threads if you agree - I have posted threads for a good selection of Can Am machines from Ferrari, Mclaren, Lola and UOP Shadow.

If you have enough money you can buy a 2E from the Chaparral website - as Jim Hall's favourite race car it was selected for legacy production.

http://www.chaparralcars.com/index.php

I completely agree that this car should be in the game, the 2D and 2J should be upgraded to premium. I would like to see a complete field of Can Am cars available to drive in the game - these were the most powerful, most innovative racing on the planet at the time. Check out my threads if you agree - I have posted threads for a good selection of Can Am machines from Ferrari, Mclaren, Lola and UOP Shadow.

Sorry, for the late response .... thanks for posting.
👍

Did this also have the foot pedal that adjusted the wing's height or was that not introduced until the 2F?

Yes it was present in this one.
To balance downforce at the front a similar type of high mounted wing as was used on the ’66 2E CanAm car was used, mounted directly to the rear uprights. The wing was connected to a foot pedal and via hydraulics allowed the driver to have feathered ‘lo drag’ or maximum downforce modes. Should anything go wrong with the feathering mechanism or the driver needed his left foot for the brakes, the car went to fail safe maximum downforce, understeer mode.

I especially love the design of them scoops. So sick!

2252d09f18eb8544087db32fdad24a2c.jpg

265a13addb5160812971520c200c0e5a.jpg

By the way, the curb weight is only 699 kg? Wow, that's INSANE for a sports prototype!

Back