Chassis wear: Refresh or not?

United States
None of your business
I've been wondering, and will probably test this out eventually, but... Is it better, in the long run, to refresh the chassis, or not to before an endurance race?

On one hand, you have a perfect-handling car in the beginning of a race, but the handling degrades halfway in the race, and there is nothing you can do about it.

On the other hand, you have an already worn chassis, but you decide to tune the handling of the car for that. Once you get to it be good (or good enough), you have a car whose handling will stay consistent throughout the entire race.

Thoughts?

For myself, it depends upon the car. Some respond very poorly to chassis wear whilst others are not so bad.

On balance, it is best to dial in for consistency in the long run but you will find that the game engine varies handling in a cycle throughout the very long races regardless.

I've read people here mention it on occasion, but as far as I know there's no consensus been reached on whether or not to refresh. Surely it would come down to the driving style and skill of the player. Some, like Sukerkin, are likely to run down the chassis and oil in pursuit of 200pts and do all the testing with a used chassis. Others, like Smallhorses, get to 100k Aspec using stock or lightly-tuned cars, so he'd have to adjust his driving to the weakened chassis (as I've noticed in some of his reports) when doing a long endurance race.

By your stats I'd guess you are a hotlapper with an interest in tuning and very fast cars, and want to use either the 787B or GT-ONE at one of the 24h races. In this case I'd suggest you don't refresh the chassis, just get used to the way it handles because it won't deteriorate any more during the race. If you do the testing for the enduro with a refreshed suspension you could be losing seconds every lap later in the race while you adjust to the different feel of the car.

EDIT: Oh wow, Suker, I was just talking about you. Good to see you round here.

Last edited:
PF
By your stats I'd guess you are a hotlapper with an interest in tuning and very fast cars, and want to use either the 787B or GT-ONE at one of the 24h races.

So was that an accurate assessment 'scudo? If you want to try the 787B I'd strongly recommend the version by RVV (Rotary Junkie made it IIRC). The numbers l9ok bizarre on paper, but it makes a fine tune.

EDIT: Of course I was talking about the Black Beauty version of both cars, as mentioned in the sig.

Oh? Which cars respond better to chassis wear anyways?

:lol: Sadly I don't have a complete list :D.

Some, like the Tuscan, get 'blessed' with some unpredictable understeer whilst others, like the McLaren F1, can get very 'lively' over rough surfaces such as those found at the Nurburgring.

It depends upon the driver to a large extent as to whether the effects are unbearable or not and, as noted earlier, you can set up a car to be driven 'worn' to iron out the worst of the changes.

PF
EDIT: Oh wow, Suker, I was just talking about you. Good to see you round here.

Cheers, PF :). I've been away a while it is true :embarrassed:. I wonder if my PS2 still works, it's been months since it's been switched on :eek:!

Back