Check your oil condition - all is not what it seems

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Well this is interesting. It seems your cars get locked into bop (on or off) even outside of a race, depending on what race you were just in.

So in other words, your car might need an oil change but if you've been in bop races, you won't know until you enter a bop off race. And the game won't tell you your car needs an oil change in the lobby until you leave it and go to your garage or GTAuto. Only then does the oil condition update.

I wondered why my car was slow on the straights in a bop off race! The good news is it confirms that with bop on, oil condition is turned off.

This explains it better.

Edit: and further to this I had only been doing bop on races. This was the first time I had done a bop off race. So it seems your oil wear is affected with bop on but you simply won't know it until you enter a bop off race.

Last edited:
So here is the next question. If you change the oil with the BOP on then enter a non BOP race with it show the extra HP from the oil change? 🤔

Unknown. They only way you could know is if you're intimate with the bhp of the car when you come to run a race.

Obvious fix for this is to have cars in non bop mode when you're not in a lobby.

Just keep track of your milage if it bugs you, the oil goes yellow after about 500’ish Km in most cases.

So what you are saying is that you noticed a 1 hp difference in your car's performance because of the oil? That 1hp dramatically affected your straight line speed?

So what you are saying is that you noticed a 1 hp difference in your car's performance because of the oil? That 1hp dramatically affected your straight line speed?
Well no it was another car actually but I recorded audio of me trying to work out why that was on this car.

In fact I think all of my gr4 and gr3 cars probably need an oil change because I only ever do bop races. In fact the oil is probably like sand now.

Last edited:
Does this actually affect cars performance now? Back in the early days when oil was due for a change (showing Normal/yellow not Excellent/green) the power numbers displayed for the vehicle decreased but there was no actual performance decrease as in no changes to acceleration, top speed or handling etc. when racing.

Disclaimer: the above is/was for single player mode, can’t say how it impacts/impacted multiplayer as I very rarely race in sport mode or multiplayer lobbies.

Does this actually affect cars performance now? Back in the early days when oil was due for a change (showing Normal/yellow not Excellent/green) the power numbers displayed for the vehicle decreased but there was no actual performance decrease as in no changes to acceleration, top speed or handling etc. when racing.

Disclaimer: the above is/was for single player mode, can’t say how it impacts/impacted multiplayer as I very rarely race in sport mode or multiplayer lobbies.
I know when the oil shows as "worn" there is a performance loss. Sometimes it's a dramatic loss depending on how long it's been "worn". I'm auto-grinding Daytona with an engine swapped Fiat and I make sure to check the oil every 3-5 races. The car can hit over 180mph on the back straight, but if the oil is excessively worn it struggles to get above 145mph.

Has anyone else noticed power loss when the oil is still “Normal” lately? It’s just a few hp but I don’t think it was always like that. I seem to remember that I wouldn’t lose power until it said “worn” and it would be more like 6-10 all at once rather than gradually creeping to that number.

For me the performance decreases with the state of the oil, I notice it usually on the straight of sardegna when the car takes a lot longer to reach top speed (if it can get to it, I'm using the 787b)

It's annoying you won't know if a car you normally use in bop races needs and oil change until you go into a non bop lobby, come out and have a look in your garage/GTAuto and check the oil. Then you'd have to go back to the lobby again.

The option to check and change oil should be added to race shop, because changing the oil is something you should be able to do in the pits.

Back