2002-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-Concept-Dash-1280x960.jpg
chevroletbelairconceptcar-l-72f465a23faa064a.jpg
chevy_belair_chicago_10.jpg

Engine: Vortec Inline-5
Power: 315 HP
Torque: 315.0 ft/lb
Drivetrain: Front-engine, Rear wheel drive
Transmission: Hydra-Matic 4L60-E 4-Speed Automatic

The 2002 Chevrolet Bel Air pays hommage to the orginal legend. The two-door concept celebrates an American icon in a manner reminiscent of the 1950s originals with style, performance and an exciting new Vortec 3500 turbocharged five-cylinder concept engine. The rear-drive Bel Air concept was inspired by several interior design cues from its 1950s predecessor.

The original small-block Chevrolet V8 option featured in the 1955 used the latest advances in engine technology to set a new benchmark for performance and dependability. The 2002 Bel Air is powered by a Vortec 3500 turbocharged inline five-cylinder concept engine based on the highly regarded inline engine family that debuted in GM’s midsize sport-utility vehicles. The all-aluminum engine delivers up to 315 horsepower and 315 lb-ft of torque, and is mated to a Hydra-Matic 4L60-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission.

To provide the appropriate structure for a large convertible, the Bel Air concept uses a 21st century interpretation of body-on-frame construction, employing the same hydroforming technology used in the frame rails of the Corvette and GM’s new midsize sport-utility vehicles. The hydroformed frame rails help provide impressive torsional rigidity and stiffness.

Source: http://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-chevrolet-bel-air-concept/

...Detailing-wise, it's bit wrong here and there, but overall, it's a cool, cool car. I can see myself cruising down the Hollywood Boulevard in one of these, top down, with my fav song blaring out from the stereo.

Too bad it's just a concept.....

...Detailing-wise, it's bit wrong here and there, but overall, it's a cool, cool car. I can see myself cruising down the Hollywood Boulevard in one of these, top down, with my fav song blaring out from the stereo.

Too bad it's just a concept.....
I could see it being a competitor with the then new Ford Thunderbird, though this might've been just a bit faster.

I could see it being a competitor with the then new Ford Thunderbird, though this might've been just a bit faster.

...Right, the Thunderbird concept came out around this time didn't it? For that James Bond movie with Halle Berry.

Didn't Ford faff about wanting to build a handful examples of the 'Bird back then?

:ill: Can't remember at all. My memory's all shot to hell.

I say no. The car shows no features of the old Bel Air. The dash and the fact it's a Chevy are the only thing, the body is no where near the beauty of the old skool.
The new T-Bird at least looks like it's older brother.

Back