Chevrolet Corvette (C9)- will still remain ICE

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Well, it looks like some news regarding the next-generation Vette has already been divulged:

From GMAuthority

According to GM Authority sources, the next-generation C9 Corvette will debut during the 2028 calendar year for the 2029 model year. Under the skin, it will ride on a revised variant of the GM Y2 platform that underpins the current C8 Corvette, with production expected to continue at the GM Bowling Green plant in Kentucky.

Critically, the next-generation C9 Corvette will feature internal combustion for motivation, and will not be directly related to the upcoming Corvette EV sedan and Corvette EV crossover currently in development. As GM Authority covered previously, The General is now hammering away on several new all-electric models set to bear the Corvette nameplate, which will battle rivals like the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan, among others.

That said, the new Corvette EVs will be based on the upcoming GM BEV Prime architecture, an EV-focused platform that will be more premium than the existing GM BEV3 architecture, while offering more space for additional batteries and drive motors. In addition to the new Corvette EV models, the BEV Prime architecture will also underpin forthcoming Cadillac EVs and a premium Buick EV crossover as well. To note, the new Corvette EVs may be built at the GM Lansing Grand River plant in Michigan.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-con...ress-Photos-Exterior-028-rear-tail-lights.jpg

Last edited:
Corvette nameplate, which will battle rivals like the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan, among others.
This is why I don't understand a Corvette brand. If Cadillac isn't competing directly against Tesla and Porsche then why the hell do they exist? They're racing in IMSA and trying to enter F1 for crying out loud. Cadillac is GM's premier luxury performance brand.

But a plan to make Mustang a brand makes infinitely more sense because Ford by itself is not even remotely luxury while Lincoln is not remotely performance. Ford doesn't actually have a brand to compete in the luxury performance segment. Mustang could easily pull that off and do it with dignity, but a Corvette brand would be stepping on Cadillac's toes.

Then again, GM has never been one to figure out how to market multiple brands so this is par for the course.

This is why I don't understand a Corvette brand. If Cadillac isn't competing directly against Tesla and Porsche then why the hell do they exist? They're racing in IMSA and trying to enter F1 for crying out loud. Cadillac is GM's premier luxury performance brand.

But a plan to make Mustang a brand makes infinitely more sense because Ford by itself is not even remotely luxury while Lincoln is not remotely performance. Ford doesn't actually have a brand to compete in the luxury performance segment. Mustang could easily pull that off and do it with dignity, but a Corvette brand would be stepping on Cadillac's toes.

Then again, GM has never been one to figure out how to market multiple brands so this is par for the course.
I mean, considering GM has a history of misunderstanding the market to such an extent that its own products are competing with one another, rendering them each other into irrelevance (e.g. the entire Saturn brand), I’m not particularly surprised. What is the entire point of Blackwing for example when a Corvette sub-brand will exist. Sure, they’re not entirely identical, but close enough that there’s simply little justification in keeping both. After all it was a bloated lineup that spiraled out of control which led to GM’s near demise in the 2000s.

As a C7 Z06 owner, I am happier than a pig in **** to hear this :D

yW3MvKhl.jpg

Back