Chevron B12 Repco 1968

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 9 comments
Here's Chevron racing
chevro11.jpg
WM_Le_Mans-1968-09-29-025.jpg

24hlemans196855_20070526_1574549984.jpg

And today it's kept well to it's full shine and it looks new. (I think that it lost some spoilers and other stuff to make it road going. I couldn't find any pretty pictures with it racing)
_dsc1758_1.jpg
_dsc1701.jpg
_dsc1760_1.jpg

_dsc1723.jpg

_dsc1576_0.jpg
_dsc1603.jpg
_dsc1644.jpg
_dsc1778.jpg

Specific history of the car:
Monza, Silverstone, Nürburgring and Le Mans. Only to mention a few race tracks were the B12 participated.
The B12 was built for the British racing driver John Woolfe in 1968 by Chevron. Wolfe had the high ambitions to participate with his own car at the 24 hours of Le Mans. It was certain that the B8 with its 2-litre engine was not powerful enough. So he commissioned Chevron Cars to modify a B8 to join with a Formula 1 3-litre engine. As Woolfe had excellent contacts to Jack Brabham, he soon received a Repro Formula 1 engine and a matching Hewland gearbox as well as Brabham F1 magnesium wheels, uprights and a specially made Girling F1 brake system.
Chevron modified a B8 accordingly to house the much bigger engine, gearbox and brake system. The rear section had to be stretched, also the aerodynamics have been modified for the long straights at the Le Mans race in 1968. Additional air intakes and fuel cells also had to be added.
Already at its first outing in Silverstone the B12 finished first and set a new lap record. In 1968 the car participated successfully at 12 races at the Le Mans Test, in Brands Hatch, Monza, Silverstone, Croft, Nürburgring, Spa, Anderstorp, Karlskoga, Watkins Glen and the 24 hours of Le Mans with drivers like John Woolfe, David Piper, Digby Martland, Derek Bennett and Allistar Cowin. A planned entry in Daytona had to be cancelled due to problems with the delivery of the Girling brake system.

After the death of John Woolfe the car was sold to Arnold Burton in 1970. in 1972 the car ended up in Germany with Detlev Vanselow who last entered the car in a silver livery at two Interseries races at the Nürburgring in 1972.

After that the car was stored and forgotten for almost 35 years until the last owner found the car with the help of a employee of the Porsche racing department. Initially he thought he found a normal B8 without engine and gearbox. Once the car was purchased and brought home, he figured out a few special details on the car. Not only was the rear body longer, also holes for position lights were found on the car which are only used at endurance races as Le Mans. The mounting points for the engine were also bigger and did not look like they were built for a little 2-litre motor.

Carefully the silver paint was removed and he found the complete original blue John Woolfe racing livery including his logos on the side. Later the official Chevron register confirmed due to the chassis number that he luckily found the „lost“ Chevron B12!
A very careful restoration was carried out over four years. Also during this period an original and ultra rare Repco V8 3-litre engine was found in California and installed in the car. Today the car is presented in extremely original condition throughout as the majority of the old parts could have been saved and restored.

This is truly a very rare opportunity to purchase a unique piece of British racing history and also a guaranteed entry ticket to some of the most prestigious events as the Goodwood Festival or Le Mans Classic.

(Photo credit: Michael Thier)
I think that John Woolfe Racing one is the most famous
http://www.janluehn.com/cars/1968-chevron-repco-b12-0
B12 - 1968 90 degree V8 Steel plated spaceframe 3.0 litres Suspension: Alloy block wishbone front Fuel injected wishbone rear 16 valves Engine semi-stressed d.o.h.c. Newland gearbox • Unblown Flat bottom 330 b.h.p.

Last edited:
I thought the title said "Chevrolet" for a second.

On topic: The blue and yellow color combo is pretty cool looking. Do you know the specs for this car?

That's a race car. Look at the spoilers.
Yeah I saw those, maybe the car on the OP is an replica of this race car because the color scheme and the yellow text on the front fenders are the same as the one in my pictures or so has they renovate the car but didn't replace the spoilers? :)

@Aero2000
A one-off with period Le Mans history
  • The ex- John Woolfe-Racing B12
  • A unique car with phenomenal history
  • Extremely original and fully documented
This is what is written on page. In process of restoring I think it was made to be road going. I will add your pictures too

@Aero2000
A one-off with period Le Mans history
  • The ex- John Woolfe-Racing B12
  • A unique car with phenomenal history
  • Extremely original and fully documented
This is what is written on page. In process of restoring I think it was made to be road going. I will add your pictures too
OK then, then I did have right in my first post :) Yeah I did read your post before I liked the car :)

Back