Chris Haye interviews David Perel. Video gold. Must watch

• Thread starter Mr616
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
Planet Earth
silz616
I hope I'm ok posting this here. I'm not around much any more, but watched this and thought people could benefit from what's discussed in this video. Development, bugs, realism, penalties among many other things.

From about 45minutes in, Dave discusses hot lapping mentality vs race craft. Getting a real race drivers input and opinion is vital imo.

I will request that anybody disagreeing with any views doesn't just jump in flaming and insulting people. Sensible debate is good. Shouting over other people and chucking insults is not.

It's food for thought and to open sensible discussion. It's not an invitation for arguments.

Stay safe peeps :gtpflag:

Mods: Delete, move or edit as you see fit.

Thanks for posting this. I’ve listened to a bit so far and it was interesting...I definitely think driving fast and racing are 2 separate things which was something alluded to.

I thought it was well presented. It's just things to take on board. I like Dave anyway, but thought this video was fantastic. There are others on the Chris Hayes channel including some pro coaching on ACC, but it's all race relevant to any platform imo.

I've always been an advocate of super clean racing, but there is a point that over gentlemanly turns into a kind of sterile race scenario. It's almost like us sim racers (use that term loosely) want a too cleaner race, at the expense of avtual racing. Opened my eyes a little bit. Maybe we are searching to much for perfection when we should just enjoy racing.

Glad you found it informative.

I thought it was well presented. It's just things to take on board. I like Dave anyway, but thought this video was fantastic. There are others on the Chris Hayes channel including some pro coaching on ACC, but it's all race relevant to any platform imo.

I've always been an advocate of super clean racing, but there is a point that over gentlemanly turns into a kind of sterile race scenario. It's almost like us sim racers (use that term loosely) want a too cleaner race, at the expense of avtual racing. Opened my eyes a little bit. Maybe we are searching to much for perfection when we should just enjoy racing.

Glad you found it informative.

For me coming into this genre with GTS I am in agreement that there’s more emphasis on a perfect hotlap sometimes than there needs to be...
Agreed also on cleanliness perfectionism too. Since I’ve based trying to learn to sim race strictly on real racing text and info and NOT simracer ‘a b or c’s personal opinion I am often in opposition to popular opinion on certain concepts.
Like I read somewhere a sim instruction saying anytime a car overlaps you have to leave racing room! Horse puckey! If you control the corner I will fall in and if it’s mine you can bugger off if you think I am gonna lift on exit lol. Stuff like that.
I will always listen with interest when real racers talk racing, I like David.
I’ve watched his content before, good stuff!

Great share! Chris know how to really bring out the best in his interviewees.

Excellent interview. A few of the points I locked on to were:

1. Most sims seem to be physics first, online second, rules third. And because of this most sims aren’t really built for the prime time.

2. Developers sometimes focus on physics at the detriment of everything else.

3. Finding a simulator whose physics fit your natural driving style.

4. Loss of player base with games/sims that are not iterative.

I completely agree with David and it’s something I’ve seen endlessly in Sport races. You’ll have lots of guys who focused on setting a single hot lap, and not on consistent laps. Racing isn’t a time trial.

It’s not that you shouldn’t devote time to finding the fastest line. But that many focus only on that one aspect. And sometimes that “fastest” line is terrible for tire wear, or is so on edge that it isn’t consistent, especially with tire wear. Like David said, you have to spend time studying all aspects to make you a well rounded racer and a threat in all situations.

Just look at guys like Kimi/Verstappen/Lewis who are completely comfortable taking unorthodox lines when needed.

Knowing how the car behaves with multiple lines will give you the confidence to attack while off the optimal line. You can then attack from any angle.

Racing/race craft is also a game of chess when you get into longer races with tire wear. Lot of very fast hot lap guys, who lose in race due to poor strategy. There are many ways to win a race, not just single lap pace.

I completely agree with David and it’s something I’ve seen endlessly in Sport races. You’ll have lots of guys who focused on setting a single hot lap, and not on consistent laps. Racing isn’t a time trial.

It’s not that you shouldn’t devote time to finding the fastest line. But that many focus only on that one aspect. And sometimes that “fastest” line is terrible for tire wear, or is so on edge that it isn’t consistent, especially with tire wear. Like David said, you have to spend time studying all aspects to make you a well rounded racer and a threat in all situations.

Just look at guys like Kimi/Verstappen/Lewis who are completely comfortable taking unorthodox lines when needed.

Knowing how the car behaves with multiple lines will give you the confidence to attack while off the optimal line. You can then attack from any angle.

Racing/race craft is also a game of chess when you get into longer races with tire wear. Lot of very fast hot lap guys, who lose in race due to poor strategy. There are many ways to win a race, not just single lap pace.
This right here! I’ve been guilty of this as well. You speak to an excellent point also about being able to perform using sub optimal lines.

I’ve seen this over and over again. Drivers that only know of the “fast” line and when there’s someone else on it they haven’t practiced taking evasive action so the punts occur. The best races I’ve had aren’t necessarily the ones where I’ve gotten a podium. They are the ones where you’re running with folks that get this and there’s like this unspoken dance between cars.

This right here! I’ve been guilty of this as well. You speak to an excellent point also about being able to perform using sub optimal lines.

I’ve seen this over and over again. Drivers that only know of the “fast” line and when there’s someone else on it they haven’t practiced taking evasive action so the punts occur. The best races I’ve had aren’t necessarily the ones where I’ve gotten a podium. They are the ones where you’re running with folks that get this and there’s like this unspoken dance between cars.

Ya nice to see this talked about, I generally do a lap pretending I’m fighting on the outside every corner, then another on the inside. Helps a lot, and when I don’t, there’s a clear difference.

More for practice of different lines than overtakes. I generally only go for a “move” on the cutback, as my inside tries, often push the limits of my skill. It’s pretty rare for me to stick a nose inside and go for it, more from opportunity from others mistakes.

Like that they mention this for driving vs AI too, I like to try all the dumbest passes I can vs their wacky driving, just to see what’s viable :)

Back