christmas and boxing day sales on wheels like some input on what is a good buy...

• Thread starter drouid2
  • 15 comments

drouid2

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
hey i noticed the new Logitech G923 is on sale on amazon for 10% off so 449.99 instead of 500 (Canadian dollar) is it worth getting for forza?
or just get a older model (g29) that is 299 . also 50 dollars off. only prob with that idea the g29 wont work on xbox if i want to switch over to my console. and i dont even know if that 24 point dial even works on forza. if any tried it please let me know.

No, just get a Fanatec CSL.

I recently switched from a t300 to the CSL And its a no brainer.

If anything approaches Fanatec money then just get the Fanatec.

Where are you seeing Fanatec kit for the same money as a G923? Because I can see a G923 on Amazon for £300, and the cheapest Fanatec kit starts at €799.

Where are you seeing Fanatec kit for the same money as a G923? Because I can see a G923 on Amazon for £300, and the cheapest Fanatec kit starts at €799.

Black friday i got the CSL Elite Playstation wheel for $400.

I already had pedals. But $200 for pedals if you don't have them.

Plus logitech pedals suck compared to the load cell you can get from Fanatec.

I thought the g923 was like $500+? My old T300 Ferrari Alcantara was $460

Last edited:

That's great if you can get it for that price but normally the Fanatec gear, and Thrustmaster for that matter, is far more expensive. It's double the price plus a bit here in Australia atm. $1100 with only two pedals versus $500 with three pedals for the Logitech atm ($320 for a G29). TM 300 three pedal is $600 AUD atm.

Untitled1.png

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/lo...U3An6-3IGi48a61hDLnnKaJ6XnqY_fIhoCqmwQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B076P3QK6K/

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/thrustm...WiB1BSPq_6Fm2b5iPDJi91ebrvbgfkARoCmW8QAvD_BwE

For a starter wheel there's nothing wrong with starting off with a cheaper model to try and see if you like it. Many people just don't have the funds to go the extra step and get the higher quality ones.

In the UK, on Amazon, the following offers are available:

• G923: £300
  • G29: £219
  • T300: £379
I priced a CSL Elite with 2 pedals and the base model wheel at €600 plus shipping.

I'm using a Driving Force GT wheel, which I've had for 10 years. I've been looking into it and I think I can just about stretch to the Fanatec. Most importantly, from seeing reviews and videos of the wheel in use, it looks to me that if I spend £300 on the G923, I will be getting an experience which is better than the DFGT, but which is essentially the same. Whereas if I close my eyes and press the Go button on the Fanatec, I'll get an experience which is dramatically better. Also, the Fanatec wheel is much quieter than the G923, which given that my DFGT is clearly audible in my daughter's bedroom, will make me able to play later into the night when she's meant to be sleeping.

I'm gonna do it...

Last edited:
In the UK, on Amazon, the following offers are available:

• G923: £300
  • G29: £219
  • T300: £379
I priced a CSL Elite with 2 pedals and the base model wheel at €600 plus shipping.

I'm using a Driving Force GT wheel, which I've had for 10 years. I've been looking into it and I think I can just about stretch to the Fanatec. Most importantly, from seeing reviews and videos of the wheel in use, it looks to me that if I spend £300 on the G923, I will be getting an experience which is better than the DFGT, but which is essentially the same. Whereas if I close my eyes and press the Go button on the Fanatec, I'll get an experience which is dramatically better. Also, the Fanatec wheel is much quieter than the G923, which given that my DFGT is clearly audible in my daughter's bedroom, will make me able to play later into the night when she's meant to be sleeping.

I'm gonna do it...

I honestly never though the different from T300 to Fanatec would be much.

I thought maybe a 25% improvement, considering the CSL is they're entry level wheel after all.

After having used it for a few weeks now.

I'd say the improvement is closer to 50-75% over my old T300.

Strength is obviously a big factor. But the detail is remarkable. Especially considering its supposedly the same tier of wheel. Its alao super quiet, the build is super solid and it's more robust.

For reference, in ACC (PS4) with the T300 I had FFB at 100 in the base and 100 in the game. And the FFB was weak, i mean weak! Not much physical resistance at all. There was detail but it was very weak.

Now with the CSL im at 100 in the base but 39 in game and its strong. At the recommended settings on 70 in game I couldn't even play. It was too powerful.

And im not a shrimp either. I unload semi's bu hand for a living, so i pick up 40,000 pounds by hand 4 days a week.

My only gripe is the rim.

The P1 rim that comes with it is no where near as comfortable as the Alcantara rim on my T300. But i paid extra for that in the bundle with the t300.

But with the McLaren rim coming in January I'll most likely never use the P1 again.

And lets not start on pedals. I have T-LCM ledals, and theyre more than 100% better than the ****** T3PA pedals i had with the t300, once you go to a load cell pedal you'll appreciate the money you spent.

All in all. Knowing what i know now i can honestly say that saving up for the Fanatec is worth it. I know it's a few 100 more, but its worth it. 100%.

Last edited:
Especially considering its supposedly the same tier of wheel. Its alao super quiet, the build is super solid and it's more robust.
It may be Fanatec's entry level wheel but that doesn't make it an entry level wheel... that's Thrustmaster (t80, t100, t150 and t300) and Logitechs (all of the G series) domain ;)

Honestly I don't think you're giving the CSL enough credit by lumping it in with the T300. Price alone should be a giveaway to it's extra capabilities and build quality (the old saying you get what you pay for rings true here :)). If I were to group the CSL with other comparable wheels (mid level) it would be with the T-GT and TS-XW which are both far closer in price, strength and customization options.

It may be Fanatec's entry level wheel but that doesn't make it an entry level wheel... that's Thrustmaster (t80, t100, t150 and t300) and Logitechs (all of the G series) domain ;)

Honestly I don't think you're giving the CSL enough credit by lumping it in with the T300. Price alone should be a giveaway to it's extra capabilities and build quality (the old saying you get what you pay for rings true here :)). If I were to group the CSL with other comparable wheels (mid level) it would be with the T-GT and TS-XW which are both far closer in price, strength and customization options.

I always considered the Thrustmaster line slightly above logitech. But i have never used a T-GT or TS-XW, so i cant speak for them.

But to help other people (the op in this case) get a reference i used the T300 as an easy example.

The Fanatec is obviously a step up.

For an automotive reference

Logitech = Honda, Toyota, Nissan
Thrustmaster = Lexus, Infinity
Fanatec CSL = Audi, BMW, Mercedes

Fanatec CSW 2.5 = Jaguar, Maserati, Porsche, etc????

Direct Drive wheels = Ferrari, Lambo, Pagani, etc????

In my opinion! You definitely get what you pay for though.

Last edited:
I always considered the Thrustmaster line slightly above logitech. But i have never used a T-GT or TS-XW, so i cant speak for them.

But to help other people (the op in this case) get a reference i used the T300 as an easy example.
T-GT and t500rs owner here that's used a friends t300 (he also has had a DFGT, G27 and G29 but due to physical limitations I couldn't try those) and both of my wheels are a good step up in performance over the t300 and anecdotally, he says mine are better than all of them too. There is a slight disclaimer though, my t500 has had a few upgrades over the 10 years I've owned it and the T-GT now has TLCM's (I had the Richmotech load cell in the stock pedals when he tried that wheel).

The Fanatec is obviously a step up.

For an automotive reference

Logitech = Honda, Toyota, Nissan
Thrustmaster = Lexus, Infinity
Fanatec CSL = Audi, BMW, Mercedes

Fanatec CSW 2.5 = Jaguar, Maserati, Porsche, etc????

Direct Drive wheels = Ferrari, Lambo, Pagani, etc????

In my opinion! You definitely get what you pay for though.
That's a pretty accurate assessment imho 👍.

hey i noticed the new Logitech G923 is on sale on amazon for 10% off so 449.99 instead of 500 (Canadian dollar) is it worth getting for forza?
or just get a older model (g29) that is 299 . also 50 dollars off. only prob with that idea the g29 wont work on xbox if i want to switch over to my console. and i dont even know if that 24 point dial even works on forza. if any tried it please let me know.
Ignore the 923 at that price. It is nothing but an awful cash-grab by Logitech who have simply rehashed the same 10 year old hardware again.

The CSL Elite wheel showed up on 30 Dec, with the pedals a day later. The rig does not mount onto the Wheelstand Pro that I was using for the DFGT, so I've ordered a replacement stand. So far, I've played Forza Horizon4, Dirt Rally 2.0 and Assetto Corsa with it.

I still have some work to do with tuning both the physical setup and the wheel itself. Physically, the pedal box moves, so I've had to rig up a block for it. It's still not fully stable, but it'll do until the WSP arrives. Mounting the wheel onto my desk with the attached clamp is functional, but the longitudinal relationship between wheel & pedals isn't quite right. It's drivable, but I can feel the impact on my spine as the wheel is too close and the pedals too far away. It'll be fixed when the WSP arrives. Also - thankfully - the wheel base mounts direct onto the WSP. I say "thankfully" because while playing Assetto Corsa, I've heard some rather unpleasant noises coming from the desk clamp. I think that I'm applying the wrong forces to the wheel in compensation for the lack of stability on the pedal box.

The kit is extremely well built. Aside from the concerns over the desk clamp (which I'm sure are user error), everything is really nicely made. It feels more like an automotive product than a gaming product. The wheel generates huge forces, yet is near-silent in operation.

I've found the wheel feedback on under/oversteer to be a bit less accurate than I'd hoped, although I am fully prepared to admit that it's likely down to a lack of configuration on my part, and also down to the games I'm playing. What I mean by "less accurate" is that I'm expecting to feel the load progressively lighten as the car tends towards understeer, but instead there seems to be a definite "oh, we're understeering are we?" point, where it goes from a full load to very light load. I'll continue to experiment.

In terms of driving, the biggest revelation for me has been in the pedals. I don't have the loadcell brake. Using the standard brake pedal, I needed to acclimatise to the significantly higher brake force required than previously, but now I've done that, I am able to modulate the pedal so much more cleanly than before. Same with the throttle: it reacts to small movements in a much more realistic way than my previous rig. To the point that it makes a perceivable difference in the game.

So I'm very happy with the purchase. It feels like an immediate huge upgrade from what I had before, and also it feels like there is room for me to grow into the kit, before I even start throwing more money at it with the loadcell pedal, different wheels, shifters, etc.

The rig does not mount onto the Wheelstand Pro that I was using for the DFGT,
Just checking that you know you need to remove the 2 plastic blocks in order to mount it to a cockpit/wheelstand?

upload_2021-1-4_12-54-11.png

Just checking that you know you need to remove the 2 plastic blocks in order to mount it to a cockpit/wheelstand?

Yeah, I saw that. But even so, the bolt holes are not in the correct place on the stand that I have. It's an ancient one, and the top plate is very different to the one I've just ordered.

Thanks for checking though :)

Latest Posts

Back