Chromecast Audio

• Thread starter Robin
  • 8 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this seemly simple question...

Can you cast locally stored music on your phone to speakers using Chromecast Audio?

If not then I think I have totally misunderstood what Chromecast Audio is. I have no interest in internet streaming services or media servers. I just wanted something to play my phone music which would give better sound quality than Bluetooth pairing.

Can someone help?

You can cast local files with the regular Chromecast, so you should be able to with Chromecast Audio.

You can cast local files with the regular Chromecast, so you should be able to with Chromecast Audio.

Everywhere seems to state it will natively only cast music that is in the cloud, but that sounds illogical to me because surely the point is to send music from your phone rather than just using it as a glorified remote.

On the Chromecast Audio FAQ is doesn't actually answer its own question to whether it can cast local audio :lol: I have seen reviews where people have bought it and then have been disappointed it doesn't cast local music.

Everywhere seems to state it will natively only cast music that is in the cloud, but that sounds illogical to me because surely the point is to send music from your phone rather than just using it as a glorified remote.

On the Chromecast Audio FAQ is doesn't actually answer its own question to whether it can cast local audio :lol: I have seen reviews where people have bought it and then have been disappointed it doesn't cast local music.
It would be a bit strange if they removed the option to cast kcal audio, seeing as the regular Chromecast can do it fine. Then again, Google probably want people to upload their music to Play Music. It might just be best to wait for an official confirmation.

@TwinTurbo LM Yeah it really isn't clear at the moment, it seems to be aimed at the Spotify crowd and not old skool people who like music stored locally. It's also a Trojan horse to get people to use Google Play Music cloud but I prefer using OneDrive.

There are third party apps that claim to locally cast but they apparently lag and stutter (because the file has to go from the phone to the router then back to the Chromecast). I wanted native direct functionality (like Bluetooth).

Short answer is no.... I tried it with mp3 saved on my phone and it says you "Can't play a sideloaded song remotely". It works perfectly with Spotify and BBC radio app however.

There is a solution involving uploading songs to Google Music but I'm not sure I want to do that.
http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com...reaming-google-play-music-chromecast-0150290/

This guy seems to have got it working, but I haven't tried it...
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/GggUZFO9kFw/Bni5y_-rCwAJ

Short answer is no.... I tried it with mp3 saved on my phone and it says you "Can't play a sideloaded song remotely". It works perfectly with Spotify and BBC radio app however.

There is a solution involving uploading songs to Google Music but I'm not sure I want to do that.
http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com...reaming-google-play-music-chromecast-0150290/

This guy seems to have got it working, but I haven't tried it...
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/GggUZFO9kFw/Bni5y_-rCwAJ

Do you own a Chromecast Audio or a just a Chromecast?

I was also wondering (before I found out it might not play local music) if the AC adapter was dual voltage (110-240V). If you have a second could you just see what it says on the plug printing? I would appreciate it.

It's kinda crazy that it's basically an internet streamer and the phone is a remote, people assume it plays music FROM your phone. As someone on the net aptly put it...

I think the 'Cast' naming is a bit misleading. To me it always implied you sent stuff from your source to the chromecast device, and it doesn't do that at all. The 'source' commands content to be sent from the internet, to your device. That's why, once you start a cast, netflix, spotify, you can turn off your Android whatever and it will continue playing.

Last edited:
Do you own a Chromecast Audio or a just a Chromecast?

I was also wondering (before I found out it might not play local music) if the AC adapter was dual voltage (110-240V). If you have a second could you just see what it says on the plug printing? I would appreciate it.

It's kinda crazy that it's basically an internet streamer and the phone is a remote, people assume it plays music FROM your phone. As someone on the net aptly put it...

I have the Chromecast Audio. The power comes from a USB cable and a "standard" plug adapter, so I guess the USB end will work with any plug adapter or voltage?

I have the Chromecast Audio. The power comes from a USB cable and a "standard" plug adapter, so I guess the USB end will work with any plug adapter or voltage?

Thanks for getting back to me. I wanted to know the voltage specs of the stock AC adapter which comes with it because I don't want to use my phone USB charger. I might be picking one up when I go on holiday.

Back