Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

From CES 2022, Chrysler debuts the Airflow concept

1641362638369.png

1641362656280.png

1641362661303.png

1641362671529.png

The car most likely represents Chrysler's first EV which will be released in 2025. The concept is built on the new STLA (pronounced "Stella", has the same letters as TSLA lmao) platform. The concept has 2 motors producing 201 hp each, totalling 400 horsepower. Stellantis says the STLA platform can fit more powerful motors, meaning future SRT and/or Hellcat models could be built using this platform.

1641363067185.png

The Airflow can receive over-the-air updates. STLA SmartCockpit allows for "entertainment, downloadable apps, and e-commerce". Each screen has a camera which allows for video conferencing.

In partnership with BMW, it has STLA AutoDrive technology which is level 3 driver-assistance.

1641363113212.png

This looks way better than anything VW is putting out right now. Almost looks Polestar-ish.

Last edited:
Interesting choice of name, considering the original Airflow from the 1930's was a poor seller for being too expensive and the styling being too controversial for its time.

I don't see anything terribly controversial about the concept's styling... in fact, if it's going into production in three years it'll probably look outdated by then. I do have to wonder what price point they're going to aim for with it though, especailly since the Chrysler name having been so sorely neglected in the last few years.

It looks fairly decent, though it's nothing really special or full of character. There is nothing about the general profile of this car to distinguish it from the dozens of other new EVs. It definitely doesn't look like a unique design language. And I really hope we can stop this all-screen interior obsession already. Also, if it won't be out until 2025, and there are a rapidly growing number of similarly shaped EV SUVs in that segment, doesn't it seem like Chrysler will once again bring something to market that will be already behind its competitors when launched? Given that this car certainly isn't striking in design or purpose or new technologies, it will need to compete on price relative to other EVs of a similar size/power/range, in order for it do well enough for Stellantis.

Though, this little snippet gives some solace of hope: "Chrysler also will look to "redefine" the current segments in which it plays, she said. The brand sees a market for electrified large sedans and will have an offering to replace the 300. Chrysler also will look to uphold its heritage in pioneering the minivan almost 40 years ago — that innovation is inspiration for Chrysler's next chapter."- Chrysler CEO Christine Feuell, yesterday. I was under the impression that Chrysler as brand would be axed in a few years, given that they only now offer one product (the Voyager/Pacifica minivan), but clearly, that is not the case.

Last edited:
Ah, so this is what my buddy at Chrysler has been hinting at for months lol.

I don't get all the comparisons to the Cayenne. The wings and bars theme has been an element of Chrysler design for literally 80+ years. Porsche had one car with a lightbar, the 993, and now for some reason everybody associates that with Porsche. In my opinion, long horizontal bars and wing-like elements are classic American art deco and jet age-style luxury design, especially for Chrysler and Lincoln.

I think the proportions are a bit off but overall it looks great. And this is basically production-ready so don't let the "concept" name fool you.

I don't get all the comparisons to the Cayenne. The wings and bars theme has been an element of Chrysler design for literally 80+ years. Porsche had one car with a lightbar, the 993, and now for some reason everybody associates that with Porsche. In my opinion, long horizontal bars and wing-like elements are classic American art deco and jet age-style luxury design, especially for Chrysler and Lincoln.
Weren't Porsche the ones that restarted the rear lightbar trend with the likes of the 911 and later the Panamera? The rear totally looks like the Cayenne or an enlarged 991 911.

Weren't Porsche the ones that restarted the rear lightbar trend with the likes of the 911 and later the Panamera? The rear totally looks like the Cayenne or an enlarged 991 911.
Like I mentioned, the reason they did it was to play off the 993's lightbar which was universally liked. But the trend was a staple of American design long before the 993 existed. In fact, Chrysler's wing emblem and theme started in the 1920s, before Porsche even existed. The design style works well for modern LEDs but not, Porsche doesn't have some design claim to lightbars. If anything, they're also playing off design themes that are nearly 100 years old just like most other companies.

Like I mentioned, the reason they did it was to play off the 993's lightbar which was universally liked. But the trend was a staple of American design long before the 993 existed. In fact, Chrysler's wing emblem and theme started in the 1920s, before Porsche even existed. The design style works well for modern LEDs but not, Porsche doesn't have some design claim to lightbars. If anything, they're also playing off design themes that are nearly 100 years old just like most other companies.
I'd still give Porsche credit for re-introducing the lightbar with a modern touch. Either way, the shape of the rear lights, along with the emblem inside it and even the lines surrounding it totally look like a Porsche.

Last edited:
original Airflow
That's exactly what came to mind, but I would have preferred something a little more similar to the original, ie a car and not a crossover/SUV. I know why it is the way it is though. Anyway it's about time Chrysler went electric, I just can't justify buying something like a gas powered 300/Charger. Hopefully there will be at least a hybrid equivalent in the future.

Back