Circuit de la Sarthe 24h II

United States
None of your business
I'll be driving a Mazda 787B Race Car '91.

The lineup: Ford GT40 Race Car '69 (I'm still amazed at the poor job PD did to this car... the AI can never keep it on the road... a sad fate for one of the great le mans cars.)
Sauber Mercedes C9
Jaguar XJR-9
Peugeot 905
Mazda 787B
Mazda 787B (Me)

I've kept everything except the tires stock, opting for R1's... I've also softened the suspension to help with the bumps around the track...

Hour 0:00:00:
18 points is the A-spec total for this race. The race gets underway as the jets trailing red, white, and blue smoke pass overhead. As expected, the GT40 spins out, and hits my counterpart 787B in front of me, and instantly becomes dead last. I follow the other 787B for 2 laps, and pass him on the third lap, along with the Peugeot 905. I pass the Jaguar on lap 5. I lap the GT40, just after he runs himself into the sand at the end of the straight on lap 6... I pass the Sauber on lap 8, when he pits. Both me, and the other 787B stay out.

The car is great on fuel and tires. In fact it's so good on tires, that I foolishly try to stay out a 10th lap, and end up running out of fuel after the first 2 high-speed straights. I pit taking hard tires to make sure that I don't try something like that again, and I'm back in 5th place... with the Sauber 2 minutes and 9 seconds ahead of me. I end hour 1 on lap 18, pitting for tires (r3/r2) and fuel, with the Sauber 1 minute and 58 seconds ahead me.

Hour 1:00:00:
The beginning of Hour 2 is pretty uneventful. I pass the Peugeot on lap 21, and I'm close to completing it, when it becomes rather interesting when my controller inexplicably starts giving me problems. It would just cut out for a sec, and then come back on... This resulted in me going into the sand, and the Peugeot regaining 4th place... I eventually pass him again on lap 23, and once again lap the GT40. Pitting on lap 26 gives the the opportunity to switch out my problem controller, and I am now in 3rd place, the Mercedes 1 minute 46 seconds ahead. Except for 1 problem... I can't control my car... I accidentally switched to B-spec when I pit! :ouch: I decided to let him run until the next pit stop, since it would cause me to get further behind if I pitted just to get back into A-spec...

Hour 2:00:00:
I take back control here, and attempt to catch back up to the Sauber, which is 1 minute, 35 seconds ahead. When I pit on lap, I switch back to superhards, and continue on my way... I pass the other 787B on lap 46. I pit on lap 48, and in an attempt to gain more time on the Sauber, put on medium tires all around. Pitting again on lap 54 as the hour draws to a close, I'm pleasently surprised to see that I gained a whole 50 seconds against the Sauber... partially because he had problems somewhere along the line... and I close the hour on lap 56.

Hour 3:00:00: I pit on lap 61, and I'm slowly creeping up on the Sauber, which is less than a minute ahead of me now. I get the exact time, and it's 49.666 (:scared: 666!). Before the lap is over, I lap the GT40 for what has to be the 10th time... At lap 65, the Sauber pits, and when he come out of the pits, and is on the main straight, I'm right on his bumper. I draft him, pass him, etc, etc... I lap the GT40 again on lap 66. On lap 67, I decide to pause it for the night... When I get up, I pit on lap 69, after which the Mercedes overtakes me again. He pits on lap 72, and I end the hour on lap 73, with the Sauber Mercedes 21 seconds behind me as I scream down the main straight at 235 miles per hour.

Hour 4:00:00: I slide into the pits on lap 77, rather wildly at that... It never prompts me for anything, it just drives through the pit lane... 🤬 Determined not to go another lap at 50 miles per hour after running out of fuel, I go backwards on the track, and back into the pits. This costs me first place, but if I had went straight, I would have lost it anyways... In another attempt to catch back up, I put on medium tires, and haul 🤬 through the corner into the straight in 3rd gear. I pit on lap 84, almost accidentally switching to B-spec mode... but I catch the error, and switch it back. Pitting again on lap 91, this time with an r3/r2 mix, I end hour 5.

Hour 5:00:00: 36 seconds behind the Mercedes, I drive rather casually for the first lap of the hour while my tires warm up. But at the end of the straight, I make a GT40-like move, and run off into the sand... right behind the actual GT40... I regain my bearings, and get on my way again, once again lapping the GT40. At lap 96, I pit along with the Sauber, and catch up to him on the main straight. This time however, I intend to stay behind him, drafting him on the straights to save fuel. I pass him on lap 102... the drafting enables me to go until lap 106 for a pit stop, getting that elusive 10-lap run... Except for there's 1 problem... I apparently forgot to get fuel! And I didn't realize it until suddenly my engine cuts out on the straight. :ouch: I already know I'm totally screwed now, but I'll keep going anyways... I end the hour 1 lap behind the Mercedes.

Hour 6:00:00: This hour has been pretty dull so far. I got my lap back, and have been driving hard to regain the time I lost last hour. So far, at 6:44, the Mercedes is only 1 minute ahead of me.

Hour 7:00:00: Same as hour 7... trying to catch back up to the Mercedes, which is a little less than a minute ahead of me. The chassis is starting to lose some of its rigidity, the car is getting a little wiggly braking on the main straight.

Hour 8:00:00: I want to cry... My car slid into the pits as I was making a pit stop, but it never prompted me for anything... it just drove through. I was so 🤬 close to the Mercedes, only to have my work at catching up destroyed... I had to turn around, and go back into the 🤬 pits, because I couldn't make it another lap on my tires... and my gas... You don't know how tempting it was to just drive flat-out across those chicanes, but I resisted, and luckily I didn't lose much time.

At lap 161, I made sure to carefully enter the pits... and I then I on...

Hour 9:00:00: I blissfully begin the hour filling the Mercedes' rear-view mirror. I pass it on the straight, and lap the GT40 for what seems like the 9000th time... At this point, I put my controller up for the night. When I wake up... it's snowing outside! :dopey: Anyways... The chassis is definitely starting to turn to mush... it's getting more and more darty on the straight. On my pit stop on lap 173, I put on superhards all around to give the front less grip. This helps a bit. At the end of the, at lap 182, my superhards are still going strong, so I pit for fuel only. I'm not about trade warm, very slightly worn, but still perfectly good tires for cold, slick ones...

Hour 10:00:00: A slightly earlier pit for tires puts me back in second place, but not for long, as I regain the lead on lap 194. Perhaps I can reach 200 laps before the hour ends. :)... lap 199, 10:59, dang... oh well, close enough :)

Hour 11:00:00: Dull... boring... I tried b-spec bob for a couple laps so I could rest a bit without pausing, but took it right back when he went off the track at the Mulsanne corner... on pace 1... (Has the chassis gotten that bad that B-spec can't even drive without looking like he's driving the GT40!?)

Hour 12:00:00: We're halfway there! Currently on lap 222, 10 seconds behind the Sauber, taking it a little easy. The chassis is getting worse and worse though... Twice already it's darted into a wall when I try to make a correction on the straight...

Hour 13:00:00: Nothing much happened here, except on lap 252, when the Sauber, who was right in front of me, braked inexplicably on the main straight... I hit him, but then went around and kept on going... it was right by the entrance of some other road that's blocked off... maybe he's trying to take a shortcut? ;)

Hour 14:00:00: A massive snowstorm just started up. I might have to switch to B-spec to speed it up if it gets bad enough. I don't wanna lose to a power outage :nervous::scared: Other than that, I'm currently in 2nd place right behind the Mercedes after a pit stop.

Hour 15:00:00: What is it with storms and A-spec endurance races with me?... I have to B-spec my attempt at the 24 Hours of Nurburgring last year, and this year... A storm causes the power to flicker and my PS2 to turn off! :( :( :banghead: So much for that... I'll have to try again when the weather is actually forecast to be nice for at least a few weeks...

Last edited:
Nice Chapter.👍 Only 18 A-Spec Points!!:scared: Too Easy... Try a race with
125-200pts. Just don't lose a 24 HR. race it would be unbearable to the explain the feeling.:indiff::guilty::crazy::ill::(:mad::banghead:🤬:boggled:

Only 18 A-Spec Points!!:scared: Too Easy... Try a race with 125-200pts.

The points reward for his car and lineup is badly skewed because of the presence of the GT40. If one of the Group C cars, such as the R89C, were in its place in the lineup, then the race would likely be worth about 150 points. It's the biggest failing of the point system: even when only one of the cars has any chance at winning, all of the others are weighted equally in terms of point value, drastically bringing down the A-Spec number of a race in a case such as this.

I've just moved your update into your first post. 👍
Please use the edit button to post your updates into there as well.
Having the whole race report in 1 post makes it much, much easier to follow your progress than a report that's split into 1 or 2 hour chunks spread over several posts, or even pages, interspersed with comments from other users.
By all means reply to their comments in a new post, but keep the updates in the initial thread as it's a lot neater.
Thanks, and enjoy the rest of the race. 👍
As Austin343 said, it's a shame that you've got the "PD" GT40 :yuck: in there being a rolling roadblock and besmirching the name & reputation of the legend that is the real Ford GT40 :drool:, as well as depriving you of a more handsome A-spec bounty. :(

You are really making mistakes in the pit area. You keep forgetting gas also. Every once and I while I forget to get gas, but it seems optional to you. You forgetting gas is adding to the suspense and I enjoy it,:)

Good luck with the race, I would have done the whole lap at 50mph though on hour 5 because you still had 19 hours left at that time. Anyway good luck and take it easy you've got a long time yet. If you get out in front to keep things interesting you could have a "mechanical failure" or go b-spec for an hour.

You are really making mistakes in the pit area. You keep forgetting gas also. Every once and I while I forget to get gas, but it seems optional to you. You forgetting gas is adding to the suspense and I enjoy it,:)

Yeah... Somehow during that one last pitstop, I pressed the X button right when it started absentmindedly... cutting off refueling...

Probably because I know the track so well now, I can drive it without even thinking...

After this if you want a challenge buy a chaparral 2J and give it a oil change and r1 tires for 145-200 a-spec points.

Back