Circuit Experience - Mount Panorama frustration!

• Thread starter ReAx
  • 22 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m an average player/driver using DS4 I have completed about 7 tracks all gold, but on Mount Panorama I cannot Gold the Lap (gold on all sections) my best is some 5/6 seconds off Gold. Are there any tips? Or...has anyone else had same issue?! I’ve done so many laps at 2:17:xx, any help, or just sympathy would be appreciated!

Cheers!

How have you got on with the individual sector tests?
All sectors are Gold (by small margins and some required many many goes!
After giving myself a rest I’ve just done a 2:14:678 with a smoother bend at start of climb, also I guess better breaking before the drop to give a straighter line..I guess the simple answer is, as always, smoother cleaner driving!
Was stuck on 2:17:678 for about two days!

All sectors are Gold (by small margins and some required many many goes!
Then in theory you've already got it :D If you can gold each sector by itself, you just need to string the sectors together (although two of the sector test do include the same corner - McPhillamy Park).

Exactly! Hence frustration! Can’t quite link it...

Just done 2:13:206, got brakes on -5 which seems to help?! I now feel can shave the ..306 required. Again just being smoother is helping, braking much earlier before the slalom downhill really is helping me, fingers crossed!

Extra stressed as having good races against the ghost but my TV is being taken away - literally any minute - to go back for fix under guarantee! If they knock my Door when I’m ahead of the ghost they may have to wait a while!

Exactly! Hence frustration! Can’t quite link it...
Think positive thoughts. You already did it when it was all split up, so you can do it when it's all strung together.

Also, brake into Skyline before the crest, carry 3rd through it and then into second for the left-handed Dipper. Don't brake for the sharp right afterwards - power through from the Dipper. And a nice early brake at Forrest's Elbow - as it's downhill and causes longer braking distances - then watch out for it washing wide as the corner tightens.

Think positive thoughts. You already did it when it was all split up, so you can do it when it's all strung together.

Also, brake into Skyline before the crest, carry 3rd through it and then into second for the left-handed Dipper. Don't brake for the sharp right afterwards - power through from the Dipper. And a nice early brake at Forrest's Elbow - as it's downhill and causes longer braking distances - then watch out for it washing wide as the corner tightens.
Thank you so much for your help! The advice worked!!! I think talking about my issues helped...like a therapy (lol!)

Look what I got!

Attachments

• 3E94D088-D952-470F-A7F8-7FA3FD0BB310.jpeg
    3E94D088-D952-470F-A7F8-7FA3FD0BB310.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 119
Thank you so much for your help! The advice worked!!! I think talking about my issues helped...like a therapy (lol!)

Look what I got!
Kinda feel lame now, the sppeed I dropped my time in last 10 mins was exponential, I wasted two days!! Thanks for the responses Famine.

To anyone that is same boat...maybe try -5 brakes (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) and don’t wait too long to brake like me... straighten out the skyline!

Did a couple of laps just now to see how I prefer to go around the track. The downhill section was rather sloppy for this recorded run but overall I ended on a good time. The sharp left hander that goes up on the hill is where I drive a bit differently than most people. I don't like to go wide as I feel it upsets the balance of the car too much. I still need to practice this part I guess because it's faster to go wider. Anyway, thought I would share it if you need future inspiration:

Did a couple of laps just now to see how I prefer to go around the track. The downhill section was rather sloppy for this recorded run but overall I ended on a good time. The sharp left hander that goes up on the hill is where I drive a bit differently than most people. I don't like to go wide as I feel it upsets the balance of the car too much. I still need to practice this part I guess because it's faster to go wider. Anyway, thought I would share it if you need future inspiration:

Great driving, MT is next thing for me to start to practice! Would Love semi auto

Hi,

I’m an average player/driver using DS4 I have completed about 7 tracks all gold, but on Mount Panorama I cannot Gold the Lap (gold on all sections) my best is some 5/6 seconds off Gold. Are there any tips? Or...has anyone else had same issue?! I’ve done so many laps at 2:17:xx, any help, or just sympathy would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi there, hope these tips help.
- ABS default
- TCS off
- all other assists off
- manual transmission

Just use the default ABS, turn all other assist off, especially TCS and ASM, because they work by interfering with throttle (and therefore power). When they get activated, it will limit how much throttle you have available to power out of corners. Problem is abusing all the power and then spinning out....only way to overcome this is car balance/control, really knowing the track, and lots of practice.

Don't brake too much on way up the mountain. Just lift off throttle to shave off some speed for the series of left handers heading up to top of mountain...lift off, point to apex, feel the traction biting and power out of apex with smooth throttle. Point of not braking too much is to keep car momentum high as you head uphill. I found a lot of laptime in this section of track by not touching the brakes.

At top, brake just before overhead sign, as you prep car's balance for downhill section. Again, don't over-brake too much...lift off to shave off speed, and smooth gentle throttle control in the downhill esses/bends.

I use a wheel, so the above might not translate too well to driving with DS4, but idea is to keep car momentum high on way up the mountain by lifting off throttle to shave speed without slowing down too much.

Hope these videos help with showing where to brake (or not to brake). My lap was just under Gold time, so nothing too crazy or un-achievable
And as always, lots of practice, so you're not over-thinking it as you're doing it.
All the best mate.

Last edited:
- ABS default
- TCS off
- all other assists off
- manual transmission

Just use the default ABS, turn all other assist off, especially TCS and ASM, because they work by interfering with throttle (and therefore power). When they get activated, it will limit how much throttle you have available to power out of corners. Problem is abusing all the power and then spinning out....only way to overcome this is car balance/control, really knowing the track, and lots of practice.

Don't brake too much on way up the mountain. Just lift off throttle to shave off some speed for the series of left handers heading up to top of mountain...lift off, point to apex, feel the traction biting and power out of apex with smooth throttle. Point of not braking too much is to keep car momentum high as you head uphill. I found a lot of laptime in this section of track by not touching the brakes.

At top, brake just before overhead sign, as you prep car's balance for downhill section. Again, don't over-brake too much...lift off to shave off speed, and smooth gentle throttle control in the downhill esses/bends.

I use a wheel, so the above might not translate too well to driving with DS4, but idea is to keep car momentum high on way up the mountain by lifting off throttle to shave speed without slowing down too much.

Hope these videos help with showing where to brake (or not to brake). My lap was just under Gold time, so nothing too crazy or un-achievable
And as always, lots of practice, so you're not over-thinking it as you're doing it.
All the best mate.

I wouldn't recommend him to turn the TC off if he cannot even drive the track with it on. Driving without TC is really hard on the downhill section of this track, and on many of the parts with bumpy surfaces. Especially if you're in a MR car. It's advanced level driving and it doesn't sound like he's there quite yet. All other assists except the ABS are OK to turn off though.

- ABS default
- TCS off
- all other assists off
- manual transmission

All the best mate.

Great driving and thanks for help

I wouldn't recommend him to turn the TC off if he cannot even drive the track with it on. Driving without TC is really hard on the downhill section of this track, and on many of the parts with bumpy surfaces. Especially if you're in a MR car. It's advanced level driving and it doesn't sound like he's there quite yet. All other assists except the ABS are OK to turn off though.
I got there in the end, thanks guys.

A question I can’t immediately find answer for is Brake Balance...does anyone fiddle with this? If so, when and how?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the gold at the second run using the DS4, [X] for accelerate [SQUARE/CIRCLE] for braking etc .. obviosly with my controller setup i used the TCS ...

IR

I got there in the end, thanks guys.

A question I can’t immediately find answer for is Brake Balance...does anyone fiddle with this? If so, when and how?
I personally never fiddled with Brake Balance. I don't touch it at all during this challenge.

i love-hate that track.
i like the scenery and the fact that its up and down and the fact that you need to absolutely nail your rhythm. but the section from the second corner on until the backstraight starts is a thing of sweaty hands torture.

I was stuck at low 26's for an hour or so, read these responses and had two laps within hundredths of a second from Gold before finally posting a 1:49.889. For what it is worth, these are some of my tips in case it helps others.

1. Practice your weakest sectors - if your Gold run success rates for each sector are 80%/30%/10%/80% - then hooking up a Gold lap is likely to be 2% chance. So practice each sector until you can get Gold (or within a few tenths) at least 75% of the time and your chances of success each time jump to 1 in 3.

2. Less haste more speed is never more apt than the downhill section - I started braking at the apex marker rather than the overhead banner, gently to 4th at first to take the right stable and to keep to the right hand side, down to 3rd & short straight acceleration over left kerb and hard brake to 2nd to take next right hander tight to apex, don't go mad down this next short straight, this is where advice to use brake with throttle helps to stablise the car, but not overcooking it here saves a ton of time, you need to be able to drop over the left inside kerb and full throttle down the hill like an arrow. In the demo they lift just before the last right hander, as the wall changes from black to white, feather brake if necessary as you enter right hander, use throttle enough to still stay hugged to that right hand wall and at the wall change to blue brake but also keep some throttle on especially to try and keep it from washing out, a good exit here is gold dust - aim to be at the next split by 1:35 and you are home and dry.

3. I took off traction control but it will only make you faster if you use the more instant power wisely - there are two corners to be careful on with TCS set to 0. The first corner and the tight hairpin up the hill so practice these or learn to drive and switch the TCS to 1 for tricky corners. I am using a controller but for first bend I am braking half way between 100 & 50m to just after apex marker and as I round the bend and apply power am consciously steering right to maintain line to the outside of the bend - opening up the steering, or else you will spin. You should get to first time marker between 19 and 19.5 secs. Anything over that I would start again.
I use the grey patch on the left to brake for the right hander before the hill, I wait until almost the end of it, and brake down to 3rd until the start of the kerb, then full power up hill. The next left hander I did find tricky, I lift a second or so after the apex marker and let it round the first part of bend then brake hard to 2nd to try and hug the inside of the tight hairpin - too much power when you are not fully straight facing up the next part of hill will result in a wipeout. Get on full power up the hill and lift slightly at the top - unlike demo where they appear to be flat chat.

4. It may not have contributed to my final successful lap but ironically, I started this circuit experience just to get experience for the final Mission on The Sun Also Rises. In the end armed only with a Silver lap, I did this race and although car is a different beast, the 20 mins spent circulating the track with no fear of touching the sides, did help me explore the limits of the track especially the top of the uphill section through to the downhill part. It was shortly after completing that race, with awful driving, bouncing off walls and just some ugly racing, that I went back to Circuit Experience and put in my Gold lap.

5. Don't give up. Sometimes it may feel you are going backwards, the way the brain learns does not yield linear results. Don't punch yourself too hard each time you throw it into the same wall. Remember the person pulling the throttle trigger is still you even if they appear to be some sadist ****wit intent on peeing you off.

6. When it flashes up 1.25.512 and Sarah is all upbeat that you got Silver and that you beat your last record, just smile, don't try and quantify how small that amount of time is - a miss is as good as a mile, know you are knocking on the door and smash the **** out of the Gold time next time round.

7. And rev the **** out of the engine in each gear.

PS If I can do it with the ugliest drive around the hairpin I have ever done, and probably will ever do, anyone can.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back