Citroën DS GT 19 Bossaert Coupe by GÉTÉ 1960

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 4 comments
South Africa
South Africa
...Tell me, when you talk about ultra-rare automobiles in the history, do you think a Citroën DS stands a chance?

15011078417_87e91a4684_k.jpg

You'd be forgiven to think "no, DS may be an motoring icon, but a rare one? Not really".

15174629816_559fdd0ed0_k.jpg

Well, then let me SHOCK you for a moment: in between 1959 to 1965, ONLY 12 of these cars were produced. And the experts suspect only TWO survives to this day. Just TWO.
Let that sink in for a sec.

12924508413_47774e27be_o.jpg

Italian coachbuilder Frua was tasked with designing, then building first couple of running examples by one Mr. Hector Bossaert.

016.jpg

See. But this partnership didn't last long. Story goes, in 1960, the "production" moved to GÉTÉ at Meteren, near Lille.

12924809574_f5f9302e8b_o.jpg

The under-the-hood mechanicals were slightly massaged from a normal DS19. There were new cams, conrods, revised cylinder heads with higher compression ratios, plus wilder exhaust and carburettors all helping to push the rather modest original power of 83 bhp to a whooping.....97. Wow. :indiff:

gte-id.jpg

Of course, this ain't only "special" DS that were built: there's even rarer convertible version, which I can't even confirm if any have survived. Here's a black-and-white:

ds19gtca.jpg

When this car went on sale, it cost nearly twice the amount of a regular DS19. In fact, its price tag put it squarely at the crosshairs of Jaguars and Mercedes Benzs.

imgp8889copier.jpg

Do take note though, that the car in the pics have extra fog lamps attached to her, apparently by the owner. They didn't come from the, ahem, "factory".

imgp8894copier.jpg

So here's a pic of a Bossaert coupe without them:

bossaert.jpg

As usual, if you can find more info, do share!! Thanks. 👍👍

...Tell me, when you talk about ultra-rare automobiles in the history, do you think a Citroën DS stands a chance?

15011078417_87e91a4684_k.jpg

You'd be forgiven to think "no, DS may be an motoring icon, but a rare one? Not really".

15174629816_559fdd0ed0_k.jpg

Well, then let me SHOCK you for a moment: in between 1959 to 1965, ONLY 12 of these cars were produced. And the experts suspect only TWO survives to this day. Just TWO.
Let that sink in for a sec.

12924508413_47774e27be_o.jpg

Italian coachbuilder Frua was tasked with designing, then building first couple of running examples by one Mr. Hector Bossaert.

016.jpg

See. But this partnership didn't last long. Story goes, in 1960, the "production" moved to GÉTÉ at Meteren, near Lille.

12924809574_f5f9302e8b_o.jpg

The under-the-hood mechanicals were slightly massaged from a normal DS19. There were new cams, conrods, revised cylinder heads with higher compression ratios, plus wilder exhaust and carburettors all helping to push the rather modest original power of 83 bhp to a whooping.....97. Wow. :indiff:

gte-id.jpg

Of course, this ain't only "special" DS that were built: there's even rarer convertible version, which I can't even confirm if any have survived. Here's a black-and-white:

ds19gtca.jpg

When this car went on sale, it cost nearly twice the amount of a regular DS19. In fact, its price tag put it squarely at the crosshairs of Jaguars and Mercedes Benzs.

imgp8889copier.jpg

Do take note though, that the car in the pics have extra fog lamps attached to her, apparently by the owner. They didn't come from the, ahem, "factory".

imgp8894copier.jpg

So here's a pic of a Bossaert coupe without them:

bossaert.jpg

As usual, if you can find more info, do share!! Thanks. 👍👍

Hm I don't know I like it or not, but I pressed the like button so I think I like it a little :P

Back