Civil War

ferrari_chris

fcOnTheWeb.com
Premium
ferrari_chris
39wSaXs.jpg

So, summer has rolled around again and the test track is ready for action. The winter snow has cleared away, and it’s bathed in sunshine waiting to have some rubber laid down in anger. And today we’ll get the chance with the best Australia has to offer in the way of street cars from Holden and FPV’s ’04 model lineup.

Lined up in the pit lane are Holden’s SS Commodore and CV8 Monaro, and FPV’s GT and F6 Typhoon. They’ll be tested in all aspects of acceleration, top speed and handling, to find the best…

First to blast out of pit lane is the SS. It looks good in its Redhot paintwork, and the wheels work nicely with this car. It runs a 5.6litre V8 engine making 257kW at 5600rpm and 480Nm of torque at 4000rpm. These numbers don’t seem bad, however they don’t quite seem enough to really propel the 1658kg car around. Straight away the car doesn’t accelerate as quickly as expected and this creates a very heavy feeling. This feeling is only compounded when the first corner is reached – chronic understeer. While this is mostly down to the suspension setup it only compounds the feeling that this is a big, heavy car. The technique for driving quickly here is to ensure all the braking is out of the way early, then turn in towards the apex. Once the apex is reached, the temptation is to pour the power on and accelerate out of the corner, but this only succeeds in bringing back the understeer and a wide corner exit. So the throttle must be balanced until the car is near the exit before full power can be applied. But when full power is used, there’s little chance of losing control through oversteer – it’s not available at all unless really provoked. This suspension setup has a lot to answer for, however it does work very well at soaking up bumps, big or small. At any speed bumps and depressions affect the car little. The shift points of the six speed gear box are also setup well, and with a wide torque range, shifting a little early doesn’t hamper the forward progress too much. A more aggressive noise from the engine would be nice, at present it sounds a bit muffled. A less than impressive car, the SS runs a 1:25.666 lap.

After returning the SS to the pits, we tried our luck with Holden’s other entry, the CV8 Monaro. It runs the same 5.6litre V8 engine making the same numbers, and surprisingly tips the scales at the same 1658kg too. But turn the key at this car has the angry, throaty V8 roar we wanted in the SS. First gear in and we’re away. While physically not much faster (just over five hundredths quicker to cover the 400m) it seems faster because of the added noise. And into turn one it’s instantly noticeable that the understeer has been dialed out and oversteer is dialed in. Now this is much better. Affording much better control over the car both approaching the apex and leaving it behind, this car is a lot better and a lot more fun to drive. With matching numbers to the SS it’s no surprise that it’s four tenths quicker around the circuit (it runs a 1:26.216) and this is all down to the handling. Again, the suspension soaks up small and large bumps without much trouble. Oversteer is available if it’s wanted for a bit of fun, but if outright pace is trying to be found, it’s simple enough to keep the rear-end in check. Through turns the throttle can be used to balance the car and adjust the line, something sadly lacking in the SS. The Monaro is certainly the pick of these two as it’s so much easier, fun and rewarding to drive. Back into the pits and it’s time for the FPVs.

Of FPV’s two cars, they’re both based off the same Ford Falcon design but go about making their power in different ways. The GT sticks with the tried and proven root of displacement, but the F6 has gone with turbo power. The Winter White GT is out on the track next, and complimented with its blue stripes, it looks nice. The bonnet bulge helps to make the car look bigger, and give it a dominating appearance on the track. The bulge is needed to fit the V8 engine to the GT, which displaces 5.4litres and has quad-overhead cams. Much healthier numbers than previously seen, it makes 304kW at 5500rpm and 546Nm of torque at 4500rpm. But it’s quite a bit heavier at 1825kg. Instantly the suspension feels firmer and the exhaust has a different sound to the notes provided by the General’s cars. This one sounds a little muffled down low, and sounds best when spinning hard in the upper reaches of the rev range. That heavy engine up front and the extra weight of the car make for understeer again, but not at the dramatic levels of the SS. On corner a lift of the throttle can tuck the nose in to prevent running off onto the grass. If the mood allows oversteer can be had at the flex of the right foot, but it’s best kept in check for pace and safety reasons – the snap back can send the car pointing towards a wall all too easily. Around the track it feels faster and stronger everywhere, and the fact that it beats the Holdens but such a small margin is surprising. It runs a 1:25.975 lap.

So, the last car out of the stable is the F6 Typhoon. Dressed in Mercury Silver it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing. The only hint at it performance is the small intercooler visible through the front grill. It uses a turbo-charged six cylinder engine to get its motivation. A 4 litre straight six developing 283kW at 5250rpm. What’s really impressive is the torque with a whopping 577Nm from 2000-4250rpm. Getting out onto the track it’s evident that the turbo only boosts very low, so there’s no peaky power associated with turbo engines, just one big surge more like a supercharger. It does run out of energy at the top of the rev range though, struggling to even reach the 7000rpm limiter. For best results short-shifting at 6000rpm drop the engine down into that meaty torque and propels it forward. The handling is neutral, with oversteer available if it’s wanted. But that’s to be expected with this much torque. Understeer is there again too, but it’s not too much of a problem in this car, even though it is a little beefy at 1776kg. On the whole, if driven sensibly, it’s very easy to drive and almost uneventful. All the parts work together to get the job done, and that’s it. A very easy car to drive fast, it blasts out a 1:26.073 in the simplest of fashions.

So, with all cars tested and sitting back in the pits, it’s time to rate them. The SS suffers from understeer to unbearable levels, however the Monaro ups the game in this department with a very fun car to drive. The GT shows its hand as the heavy hitter belting out quick times, and the F6 just humbly gets the job done without fuss. The pick of the bunch today is the F6 Typhoon. For a street car it fulfils on two fronts – it looks as subtle as a taxi yet has the potential to embarrass a lot of cars around it. As a track car it gets the job done easily, yet hat the capacity to allow the drive to have a lot of fun. There’s also reasonable scope to turn it into a real rocket ship as there’s a lot of undiscovered potential in that engine.

Crunch the Numbers:

7TPcpEd.gif

Mu7bNUR.gif

emnYdpy.gif

fpr2yCB.gif

Last edited:
Another great comparison, nicely detailed and illustrated with panache! 👍
You really shine at this sort of report! :) +rep

Wow. This is a very well done race report. Nicely detailed and car stats and pictures. Makes me want to get those 4 cars and have some fun myself. 👍

Thanks everyone. Your praise is very much appreciated.

It takes a while for me to put these together, and not working at home anymore makes it harder.

I'm glad you like them. :)

Nice review, and it encourages me to have a look at a range of vehicles that I haven't yet given much attention to in the game.

What track is that by the way? Is it Autumn Ring?

I meant to say, what series can you run them in, apart from a couple of series in beginner hall & professional hall, where else?

I think that you should be able to enter Aussie cars in all of the following (and not much else) and be able to win - some with race car, some in production cars.

Beginner Hall
FR Challenge
Sunday Cup
Professional Hall
Clubman Cup
Race of NA Sports
Supercar Festival
Tuning Car Grand Prix
Extreme Hall
Dream Car Championship ??
Gran Turismo All Stars
Like the Wind
Polyphony Digital Cup
Premium Sports Lounge
Endurance Hall
El Capitan 200 miles
Grand Valley 300
Laguna Seca 200
Motegi 8 Hours
New York Streets 200 miles
Nurburgring 24 Hours
Nurburgring 4 Hours
Suzuka 1000km
Tokyo R246 300
Tsukuba 9 Hours
Family Cup
Family Cup

The XR8 Race Car is the problem - too powerful to bother racing against JGTC and DTM cars and not enough to keep up with LMP cars. What is needed is a series where only LM cars based on production cars (whatever that class is called - e.g. RX-7 LM Race Car, Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car, Camaro LM Race Car, etc.) but there is no such series (it would be interesting to see what it was matched against in the Family Cup with 5-10 difficulty).

Wow! That's more than i expected. I guess i'll have to buy an Aussie car now too. My heart has always said yes, but until now, my head was saying no.

Based on the report & replies above, I bought a GT Falcon and I have to say, I'm glad I did. It went really well, I was very happy with the performance and how can you not love something that looks that good? :)

Pity it didn't sound so good. :(

Back