Classic Saloon car championship.

• Thread starter maddog999
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
Somerset
Is anyone else interested in a short series based on some of the 60s/70s saloon cars in game?

Cars like the BMW 2002, Alfa GTA, Mini Cooper ('97 in game but not really that different to the coopers of the 60s!), Nissan Bluebird and upto and including perhaps the VW Golf GTI, maybe?. Also one or two American V8s.

Not sure how best to set the different weights/powers as PP isn't always the best for even racing, particularly with such different cars. Power levels won't be that high for most cars most cars will be fairly light though with the exception of the american V8s which are heavy and powerful.

Also as it's older cars, the tyres will be at most sports soft, or less.

Want to make the racing exciting, preferably by having the cars as closely matched as possible but through different strengths, V8s on power, the minis on weight etc.

Anyone interested?

This is something I really want to do, and have been working on a little bit, testing the BMW, Alfa, Mini, Z/28 and surprisingly enough the '72 Fiat 500 R (has a 595cc instead of the 490ish cc of the rest of the old 500s, and puts out over 100hp with a turbo)
all were around 420pp, with the Z/28 around 450, the Alfa and BMW were really close and the Fiat and Mini were not far behind, but I still have a lot of work to do.

I did some research on FIA Group 2 racing, which were the touring car rules in the 60s and 70s that the Euro Touring Car Challenge/Championshp, BTCC, and 60s Trans-am ran under. here is a list of the cars in the game that are representative of Group 2 touring cars:
under 2000cc- Fiat 500 R, Mini Cooper 1.3, VW Beetle 1200, Mini Marcos GT, Alfa Romeo GTA 1600, BMW 2002 turbo, Nissan BLUEBIRD 1600 Deluxe (Datsun 510), Toyota Celica 1600 GT, Alpine A110 1600S
under 5000cc- Shelby GT350R, Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

I was thinking of doing a Spot-race sometime in the future, probably an enduro at Nurburgring 24H or Spa. If you set something up like that I would definitely join.

I am still working on specs and everything, I haven't had much time since I am in 3 racing series now and they take up most of my GT5 time.

I am trying the cars at around 400-450pp to try and make them authentic, with sports soft tires.

It would be great if you guys are testing too, we could compare our specs and lap times and everything.

Drop me a PM when you get it sorted Rusty. I had a similar idea of doing a vintage compact car spot race, just finding the time & motivation getting them to balance.

I have been experimenting on Trial Mountain circuit, as it's a bit twisty and also quite fast. the 500 Abarth can only get 439pp, but most cars with 440pp are all fairly competitive, but i can't get the mini to keep up, being FWD means it doesn't handle for toffee, and minis were essential parts of racing at that time. Will find the typical time for a lap for the other cars and post it up and see if anyone can manage a similar lap within one or two laps with their own tune.

Not using wings on any cars.

This sounds like it will bring racing back to the Golden Age of Racing ... Count me in if this series bears fruit ...

unfortunately I just don't have the time to set anything up, really would like to and I would definitely join something that someone else sets up, but right now I am racing four days a week and those 4 cars are taking up all my GT5 free time, and I am scheduled to run other series as soon as the ones I am in are finished, and possibly/probably NASCAR Nationwide season 2 to make it 5 series 4 days a week...

so I am sorry guys but I will not be able to set up a race or series for these awesome cars :( If someone else does set something up I would certainly be interested and I will also do testing and contribute ideas when I have the time

Latest Posts

Back